Epson printing on self adhesive

lindsey

I have an Epson 9800 printer and am still experimenting with differnet media. i recely bought some glossy transparent self adhesive vinyl which is supposed to be for inkjets but the ink just won't stick!! I tried to coat it with a veneer but the roller just rubbed the ink off, even if I just rubbed it gently with the thumb it came off.

Am I missing something, a technique, a profile?

I dont have a rip, would that be better for managing the ink? I clicked on the Gloss paper media as its the nearest I could find in the settings.

Any help greatly appreciated

Lindsey

Interesting. Are you printing with photoshop then? If you are, it may be worthwhile trolling the Epson website and downloading some of their profiles, which you should be able to install for photoshop to use.

who is the manufacturer? if you can find out, it may well be worth a call to them. have you tried a sheet through a standard inkjet?

You may find you need a specific ink for this, or it is realy designed for a plotter, not a printer.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Are you sure it's not for Solvent / UV inks ?

We recently got an Epson 7880 and have been researching inkjet vinyl banner materials, but most are for solvent inkjet printers.

Only one we've found are at Adorama by Inkpress, and none are transparent/glossy/adhesive.

What Epson inkjet compatible vinyl banner materials do you use ?

Breathing Color have stopped all their signage stock (banners, adhesive vinyl, poster paper etc).  They are now just doing fine art and canvas.

The supplier of the gloss adhesive vinyl should be able to supply setting etc for printing.  A profile or RIP is not going to make any difference to the ink drying on the vinyl.  Probably not compatable if it is not instant drying.  As suggested above is probably for Solvent inks.

Thanks for all the comments.

The company I bought it from (DCMK) have got back to me and said they have loads of customers using Epson printers, but he is being helpful and is getting back to me.

I am printing direct from Photoshop but am still confused what settings to use, Im trying different settings all the time and nothing seems consistent and the colours seem too vivid as if Im using too much ink. When I printed on gloss 170 gsm it still seemed tacky after it should have dried.

I've got Epsons profiles but they just seem to be for normal paper, canvas etc. I can never settle on whether to print Adobe RGB, have Colorsync switched on or no colour management at all.

Thanks

If he has loads of customers using it, then he should be able to tell you the exact settings required.  Each profile you have is made for a certain paper (ie Epson Premium Lustre) and a set printer settings (DPI, High OFF etc).  The profile then descibes these specified conditions, so that that colour wanted is printed.  So with a profile you should get a list of the settings used on the printer.  Often these are with all colour management turned off in the Epson driver.  You only want one thing doing the colour management ie Photoshop.

Mind I don't see how these will affect the ink drying??

Most self adhesive vinyl seems to be for dye or solvent inks. I haven't been able to find one locally that is suitable for pigment inks. This is probably the reason the ink is coming off. As has been already said, the settings are not going to make any difference to the ink easily rubbing off the media.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, Colopt, this is probably a material/ink missmatch. Ufortunately Lindsey, if the wrong materials and inks are used, it realy doesn't matter which settings you use, you are not going to achieve the results you want. You said you also printed on Gloss 170gsm. and the ink was still tacky. The ink should be dry by the time it comes out the printer, still 'green' and easily damaged, but dry.

Which ink are you using? Are they Genuine Epson, and if so, which ink set? If not, you could be chasing your tail a bit to find working settings/profiles.

We do a self adhesive fabric which is repositionable.  "picStik" is a 183gsm waterproof material which will stick to most non pourous surfaces and can be removed without leaving any residue.  Tear resistant and very strong.  Good colour reproduction. I can send some small a5 samples to those interested. regards

les@mandev.co.uk