Laminating Epson Premium Lustre Problems

tsuthi

Need help with laminating some prints which are mounted to gator board and will be hung without framing. Prints were printed on Epson Premium Luster with a 9800.  Our original test was done using a Vacuseal heat press and Seal Print Guard-UV Satin laminate (non pierced) and the results are PERFECT!  The problem is when we reordered it appears that Seal now only ships pre-pierced laminate which after lamination the pierced holes are still visible throughout the print!  What is everyone else using??  Do your customers notice??  (Our's did.)  Oh, and our original test was done WITHOUT the sponge overlay, WITH the overlay seems to just try to hide the holes but introduces an unwanted pattern to the print.  Also having some problems with Seal's temperature recommendations as 215 degrees causes color shifts...  we got around that by mounting at 190 degrees for 20 mins.  (which seems excessive)  Please HELP!  Sorry for the long post.

As a photographer with a studio, I hang prints printed from my Epson printer, printed with Epson Ink on a regular basis without either lamination or glass.  Some have been hanging for several years with no problems with fading.  Lamination, unless UV protected, will not keep photos regardless of how they are printed from fading if hung in sunlight or other strong lighting conditions.  Photos printed from Epson printers can be cleaned with cloths recommended for cleaning prints.  These cloths can be purchased from any photo lab supplier.  

Thanks for the responses.  We actually have a bunch of prints around our store which are not laminated and are fine...  The problem is that this particular customer who usually does traditional "enlarger/darkroom" prints want's a similar "look".  He's shooting 4x5 film which we drum scanned and talked him into digitally printing his entire show because with the epson we can output 40"x60"'s.  His concerns are the UV protection as well as physical durability as the surface does scratch easily; and while epson inks are resistant to water, it's not water proof.  

We've found some pressure sensitive laminate which would work but we'd have to buy a roller type laminator which our owner won't do.  There has to be another company making a heat press Satin finish laminate... I hope anyway.

Anyone laminating with a vacuum heat press???  What laminate are you using???

Could use the Glamour 2 coatings from Breathing Color.  Paint/Roller application.  Would help with UV and physical durability.  Or for even easier use, a spray on like Print guard from Lyson.  Have used both.  The roller application gives a much thicker coat, the spray on is very easy to use and dries quickly.

I do a bit of laminating, but I use an old thermal roller type laminator, using both gloss & satin. I also mount laminated prints on to foamcore or MDF &  these look really good when laminated.

However many things can go wrong with laminating, I only do stuff that I have printed to avoid destroying anything irreplaceable,

These days cold pressure sensitive laminating seems to be popular.

I can understand the need to laminate in order to protect the surface of the print, easily damaged if they are unframed & it does seem minimise fading, from my own experience even when it is not a U.V protective laminate.

Having said all that, I'm not familair with your method of lamination, I am guessing you are using a vacum press, which I have no idea about.