collages

Liz

Now that I've accepted I can no longer rely on analogue and digital printing and have to move to the stuff people can't do at home - like the more sophisticated creative work, such as canvas prints....I'm considering collage prints.  Seems to be done through a flat-bed/film scanner, wide format printer and photoshop.  They look great.  Anyone familiar with these, and doing them?  How popular are they with customers?

• 1 year later...

Thought I would drag out this old thread, as I have been thinking about new products to offer this christmas done on the wide format printer. I was thinking of collages, oversized calendars, say 20"x24" or even bigger, which could have 3 photos for example, and the 12 months of the year at the bottom, could be printed on a basic coated paper and could be laminated. I was also considering really big photo books, say 20"x24" with hard cover, not sure if that would work, but you could charge a lot for it though. Anyone doing any of these type of things with any sucess?

Weve been doing collages for a while..must say the interest seems to have dropped off after the initial push. we do set sizes like a 10x10, 20x20 and a 24x24 with a set number off pictures per size. ie upto 10 prints  for the 10x10, upto 20 printws for the 20x20 and so on..

The best softwre Ive found for collages is fotofusion by Lumapix but havent bought it yet as it is about $300.00.

Ive done a couple of collages using Google Picasa but the features are quite limited..if theres any good software or if we can negotiate something with Lumapix it would be appreciated

This is really good stuff and will be an excellent photo gift product arround Christmas. Seeing these collages made me think about other similar lines and we have just added photo mosaics to our range.

Mosaic Magic is the program that sells for just US$15. It automatically builds the mosaic and outputs as a jpeg. We achieved a 12x12" on photo paper with ease.

We have already made some samples - both on the large format inkjet and digital lab. The results are great and we think they'll be very popular.

All the pieces in that montage were supplied by the customer with the exception of the map, I got a copy of that from the library, he was in the second Arnhem drop, so a map of the area provided a suitable background . The other items he had collected during the war and kept all these years.

Each montage is individually designed for each customer and I do a very rough layout, very quickly by hand when they bring in all their bits and pieces so they have an idea of what they are going to get, however most customers cannot visualise the finished print so if I feel the layout needs to change it's no big deal.

Joan

• 10 months later...

We are doing them and calling them photo storyboards. we charge for the make up of the storyboard as a design cost and the customer pays the same amount to have them printed as per our normal price list. We sugest to people that they have the storyboard printed ina size that fits in one of our ready made frame range so that we get two sales!

Regards

Karen