Canvas Prints

Liz

Wld it be possible to have a tutorial on canvas prints?  Preferably a beginner's class.  I would like to start doing these for our customers. Plus some recommendations, eg best wide format printer, name of supplier in Fuji, type of canvas, etc.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing the printing is as easy as printing onto any material on the wide format printer.. In my case we have a Epson 9600 which prints up to 44" (inches) never had a problem with it.

All you do is take the image in to say Photoshop.. Resize it to the final print size, then send it to the printer...  It really is as easy as that :)

As for the actual canvas, well there are many available, we have been useing the Fuji material, no problems.. But are right now testing some other stuff... more news on this at a later stage ;)

Liz we to like neil have the Epson 9600. We are currently are printing on Tetenal's cloth canvas. Doing some good business with them to. Very popualar at the moment are the canvas wraps. We basically size the image approx 2.5 inches to big them wrap the canvas around the frame, tack down the canvas & varnish. very easy to do once you have got the hang of it. The only thing I would recommend is to make your images a little more punchy than you would ordinarily as the canvas is a very matt/dull finish. I will post up some images of one when I get chance. (Neil give me a shout on file size for images posted up, last time I did it they were far to big).

Resize the image in Photoshop?  Do you actually resize the file or just change the value in the Scaled Print Size value in the Print Preview dialogue.  I mean if you needed an A1 and A2 off the same image would you actually create 2 files?

Is the Tetenal's cloth canvas any different to Epsons or Fujis canvas, can you use any canvas for the wraps.  Where do you get Tetenal paper, Frames for the Wraps, Varnish to finish.  What type of tacks, what spacing etc.

Many thanks

Liz

Nortisu UK are now supplying all the Epson range of wide format printers from the desktop 4000 to the 7600 & 9600 & 10600.

We also supply all printer consumables.

Call Noritsu on 01908-371100 or my mobile on 07860-206853 & i will be pleased to be of assistance.

Thanks Knees, love to do that but I guess you'll be sleeping while I'm walkin' around given that I'm "down under".  However thanks so much everyone for your replies.  I'll get my techie son to interpret your techie language and then should be able to put this to good use. If I get stuck it's nice to know some help is out there to call upon. :D  

Nick, for example a 12x10 block you would need the have an image roughly 14.5x10.5. I simply use the crop tool to select my size. So yes if I was printing the same image in 2 sizes I would create 2 files for printing. You have to bare in mind that the very edge of the print will not be visible when completed so make sure that doesn't detract from the image. As for Tetenals canvas I think there is not a great deal of difference from other brands? Neil would know better on that one as he has more experience than I. We really have used tetenal since we got the 9600 last year and to be perfectly honest since then I have not had the time to shop around. as for the frames a friend of mine makes them for us, however most craft shops will sell them. The tacks, we use a Stanley tacker (B&Q) about

We have been running the Fuji Hunt canvas, no problem at all with it,,,, But we have just taken delivery of 44" wide canvas from Papergraphics.. not had time to do a test print yet, but seems to be OK.

Dave what is it that you varnish??

Following this with interest.  Just one more question.  Just checked out the price of the 9600 and looking at return on investment.  To whom do you market canvas prints?  I'm thinking weddings, portraits, landscapes, but could be heaps others.  Any suggestions?  

Now I'm starting to get interested.

Dave, where do you get the wooden block? Are they pre-cut or do you make them yourself?

What do you charge the consumer and what approx are your costs?

(if you'd rather e-mail me then please feel free....)

Tony

p.s.  Liz originally asked for a tutorial- I think this is a great idea- can someone oblige and we'll make it a 'sticky'

Nick in answer to your questions,

Yes basically except the tacks are rather more substancial than a staple.

We use a frame with the canvas stretched over although I don't see why you could not use a solid block if you wished.

And yes we sell them simply just printed onto the canvas for the customer to do as they please with it.

Dave

I am also interested in settimg up a system infact we are quite confused whether the quality of 10x12inch upwards enlargements with such printer are well produced compared to photographic prints.

Infact this matter decides whether to go fo a Qss32 series (up to 12") or for a Qss33 series plus an Epson 9600 .....but is the quality real photo quality ,cost wise and light fade durable.

thanks ... ::) ::) ::)

Hi all,

Seems we have some interest in a tutorital.  Any chances of step by step given others knowledge of this process...... and us others with scant.  Perhaps base this on an Epson 9000, although I see a less wider processsing version of Epson than the 44 inch can also do the trick.  There's an interesting question in itself.  Any chance here given that I appreciate someone has to take profit time out to do this.  Donations perhaps?

Liz  

it has been a great time browsing in this site of which it needs more browsers as this site makes you feel not alone...with regards to canvas printing are the running cost of a 24cmmx30cm equivalent to conventional printing or would the price be too expensive , in investment one can consider it as very cheap !

what is the cost to produce a 24x30 cm print being on canvas or whatver?