Doing Passports in the UK?, READ THIS!

Mark Amies

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Australia Post Offices already take photos infact i have one about 4 stores from me.  Sure they take photographs but i still get my fair share and we do live in a small community.  Our passports cost $5.00 more than the post office and no one in the local vicinity take baby photos or photos that are different from the 35mm x 45mm standard.  

Our Licencing department (and a few post offices) have been doing the photographs on their site with the signature for as long as i can remember.

We have spread the word that we take the BEST  ID and Passport Photographs and the rumour has spread.  We also contacted a number of embassys and asked them to put us on their "who to go to list" and they have done it.  

As baby passports are the hardest for most places to do - actually we dont have a problem with babies at all BUT don't tell the post offices or other photo stores that!!!  We charge double for babies.

hiya I have put a similar item on another forum and have received no replies. This was also in the BPI mag. I have emailed the contact there and received no info either. The post office we have near us causes us lots of probs so I for one do not wish them to have any more of the service I provide. Local MP has been badgered by me.

nick

nwj - well done. Which forum did you post on please?

You know BPI is being shut down soon? Archant , friend of the professional working photographer has decided time's up.

That is the same Archant who is laying off it's staff photographers on it's regional newspaper titles and relying instead on photographs from the public.

Liek I have said, guys , your industry is under attack from many angles.

As soon as Oliver at Tetenal emailed over the details, I got a letter to our MP Alistair Carmichael sent 1st Class Royal Mail.  I hope all other KEX's have done the same as this is a very important issue.  We're doing lots of passport photos at the moment.  Losing this revenue stream would be very damaging.

This is likely to happen whether we like it or not.

I personally don't think this is going to have a huge impact on the amount of ID pictures being taken and printed in photographic shops.

Photo booths have been around for a very long time and most people hate using them; the fact they are willing to pay sometimes double the price to have their pictures taken personally by a human being says a lot to me.

ID photos are needed for so many different things now so loosing some of the pictures for driving licences is not going to make a huge difference.

We can't stop the wheels of progress!

To the people who said this was done years ago, what impact has this made on your business?

In Australia the photos for drivers licences have never been done by photoshops. So we wouldn't miss that. Unfortunately there is a move planned in a year or so for all passport photos to be shot at the same time as the interview and this would be done at the Post Office. So we have a lot to lose there!

Its certainly the most profitable part of my business as far as margin and return per square metre and the overall return to the business is extremely significant!

This is likely to happen whether we like it or not.

I personally don't think this is going to have a huge impact on the amount of ID pictures being taken and printed in photographic shops.

Photo booths have been around for a very long time and most people hate using them; the fact they are willing to pay sometimes double the price to have their pictures taken personally by a human being says a lot to me.

ID photos are needed for so many different things now so loosing some of the pictures for driving licences is not going to make a huge difference.

We can't stop the wheels of progress!

To the people who said this was done years ago, what impact has this made on your business?

Dave , one - it depends on what you term 'progress' , two - yes you can stop it, it is calling being in a democracy, you have the right to object.  If we have reached a point when we cannot stop things then clearly we are in a facist state.

The point is people have a choice whether to do it electronically at some Post Offices or continue to get their picture taken and printed in the traditional way elsewhere.

To me in theory this electronic system is progress.

However cueing up at the post office for half an hour to get my picture taken is not progress!

And for this reason I think most people will choose to do it in the traditional way elsewhere.

I do think it is wrong that this electronic system is exclusive to the Post Office; and I see no reason why this can't be opened up to Photographic shops as well to give everybody a fair slice of the market.

Hiya sorry not to reply sooner but not been on forum for few days, yes you have found me Mark. The Post Office have progressed from refusing our photos due to eyes not being level, to..................   refusing photos from their machine to a point where a customer has come to us to get it right for him!   Doh! ;D

Hi,

this is the new french law !!!! with a automatic translation !!!!!!

L’autorisation donnée aux mairies de prendre les photos d’identité menaçait les professionnels de la photo et a enfin été levée par le décret du 22 juillet 2011. Le ministère de l’Intérieur a prescrit aux préfets de veiller à ce que cette compétence ne soit plus utilisée, au plus tard au 31 décembre 2011. L’exclusivité des photographes s’applique désormais dans le cadre d’une demande de passeport et autres titres sécurisés, y compris les cartes d’identité à partir du prochain déploiement de la carte nationale d’identité électronique (CNIE).

Malgré cette issue protectrice des photographes, ils devront faire preuve de vigilance : l’arrêté ministériel du 5 février 2009 a défini précisément les conditions de conformité des photos d’identité. La requête du demandeur de passeport muni d’une photo non conforme sera refusée ; s’il subit de ce fait un préjudice, la responsabilité professionnelle du photographe pourra être engagée. De telles actions pourraient relancer le débat sur les appareils photo en mairies et mobiliser les associations de consommateurs, pour qui ce mécanisme a l’avantage d’éviter des démarches supplémentaires. L’association UFC Que Choisir dénonçait déjà le 13 février 2011 une “opération de lobbying rondement menée !” de la part des photographes.  

The authorization given to the city halls to take passport photos threatened the professionals of the photo and was finally raised by the decree of July 22nd, 2011. The Ministry of the Interior prescribed to the prefects to watch that this skill(competence) is not any more used, at the latest on December 31st, 2011. The exclusivity of the photographers applies henceforth within the framework of a demand(request) of passport and the other secure titles(securities), including ID cards from the next deployment of the electronic national ID card ( CNIE).

In spite of this protective outcome(exit) of the photographers, they will have to show vigilance: the ministerial decree of February 5th, 2009 defined exactly the conditions of conformity of passport photos. The request of the applicant of passport provided with a not corresponding photo will be refused; if he(it) undergoes of this fact a damage, the professional responsibility of the photographer can be committed(hired). Such actions(shares) could boost(relaunch) the debate on cameras in city halls and mobilize consumers' associations, for whom this mechanism has the advantage to avoid additional steps(initiatives). The UFC that association to Choose already denounced(cancelled) February 13th, 2011 a " roundly led operation of lobbying! " On behalf of the photographers.

Frenchman.