Need some drylab advice/help!

andrewstanford

Hi, I was just recently hired at a photography company to be their printer. The company does family beach portraits and have for the past 10 years always outsourced their printing to companies like Millers. Im a recent grad from the savannah college of art & design with a major in photography, but my specialty is in large format inkjet printers, like the epson 7900. When we met I basically sparked the idea of her investing in a printer and hiring me to do all her printing (so i would have access to a printer for my own work ::wink::) The owner is a very knowledgable lady with a very successful business. She claims that in the past summer seasons they do anywhere from 300 - 500 prints a week. So we need a printer that can to med to high volume. So i have been doing research for weeks and weeks and I have pretty much narrowed it down to either the Noritsu D703 or the Fujifulm Frontier DL600. When i originally quoted her the price of getting a printer, i quoted for the epson 7900 which was around $4000. Now with these dry-labs they are ranging in the 30,000 range. The owner has no problem spending the money, but she is kind a picky in what she likes and doesn't. Her specs of what she needs is a printer that will print sizes 3x4 wallets, 4x6, 5x7, and 8x10 that are printed bleed and already cut, basically pulling them right off the printer to be packaged to sale. She want to be abel to back printer her company name on the back of the image. She is also very concerned with wanting a well know company name (fuji, kodak, ect) name on the back of the paper, as she says her customers trust that it is more "professional". Most of the clients are well wealthy, older grandmothers and families. We met with a Noritsu rep last thursday and she really sold me on the D703, for the back printing and the duel side printing for books. I talked with a Fuji rep on the phone and he was helpful, but said the DL600 doesn't do the duel printing and didn't really seem to know what I was talking about when I said back printer for the company name. The boss lady likes the fuji though, for the fact that it is a "well known" name, but it seems to be a little bit more expensive. So basically that is all the troubles im running into and basically have a blank check in my hand ready to get a printer but just don't know what to get. We are buying an epson 7900 as well for larger canvas and fine art stuff, so the dry lab will be just for the smaller mass prints. We can not get a wet lab because we are located on an island and it would be a lot of work to go though ocea and stuff of that sorts. So dry-lab seems to be the best choice for us. So i guess just looking to hear peoples thoughts and maybe suggestions. Thanks for reading my ramblings.  

Kodak Apex system have backprinting option, also it can do all the formats stated here, and it can also be connected to Epson Large Format printers  ;)

And off corse there is the double sides photo book option from Kodak which also can be connected to the same Apex system  8)

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/business/retailPhoto/products/APEX/index.jhtml

Have in mind that only 7010 (4x6 & 6X9) and 7015 printers (5x7) have backprinting option, 7000 printer does not have backprinting capability  ;)

8810 printer (8x10 & 8x12) does not have bakprinting capability  ;)

I found this PDF for Epson on APEX compatibility chart:

• 1 month later...

I've done some support work for the DL600. I've seen quite a few stores have to get the print head or even the whole unit replaced in less then a year. My office has just gotten a Noritsu D1005. it seems pretty well put together, but we've not had it long enough to really see any problems with it yet. So far I've not been impressed with any of the drylab offerings. None of them seem that reliable or robust when compared to a wetlab. Just my humble opinion.

I've done some support work for the DL600. I've seen quite a few stores have to get the print head or even the whole unit replaced in less then a year. My office has just gotten a Noritsu D1005. it seems pretty well put together, but we've not had it long enough to really see any problems with it yet. So far I've not been impressed with any of the drylab offerings. None of them seem that reliable or robust when compared to a wetlab. Just my humble opinion.

I agree, I class the drylabs as disposable printers a bit like photo copiers. After a few years use if something major goes wrong the cost to fix it is often approaching half the cost of a new printer, so you end up throwing it away and buying another one!

Not very environmentally friendly I think!

What seems to characterise sellers of drylabs is their lack of knowledge in the features of their machines. We all know the basic Noritsu models only do single side printing. Even the D1005 is not a 'true' duplex in that you have to manually handle the paper to do the other side.

The machines that are busy seem to do OK. I guess the head needs volume otherwise it seems to 'gum' up and need replacement. I know one site that did 4 years without problem - and was busy. Another that the owner used seasonally needed replacement after 12 months.

What's on the back only matters to those in the trade. Consumers care only about their pictures!

• 3 weeks later...