Is anybody else paying to listen to the radio?

hmk

A couple of weeks ago we got a guy from the PPL inquiring wether we listen tio the radio in the shop and if we had a license from the PPL (Phonographic Performance License). next thing I know I have an invoice for last year and the coming year for £130.00. I dont want to rip anybody of but this seems extortionate..Is anybody aware of this and what are our rights regarding this.

Bloody pi**ed off!! :-/

Oh yes, if you play music to your employees or your customers you have to pay.

If, on the other hand you don't (play music/radio), you can be subjected to continuous harrassment over the telephone, and even 'gestapo' type intrusions into your premises. I got so fed up with them 'phoning me every couple of days demanding payment (I don't have a radio!!) that I really sounded off at them, but assured them that should I ever decide to play music to my customers I would apply for a license PRIOR to doing so. This did not prevent the visit, which was wholly unpleasant and akin to a customs raid (I should imagine). When they found no radio they were quite surly.

Thankfully I have heard nothing since, and the radio came out  from the cistern. OOOPS !!!

Do you have any talent ?do you play guitar sing ect ? if you do  then register yourself with  PRO Then play live in your shop send   them a set list  asking for  the royalty payments and record it and keep playing it in your shop and send them a list of times played every month and the checks should start rolling in if they do not you will need to start harassing them for payment if you do not  have any talent find a band that does lets see this money go to the right full owners of the copyright  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

It's a worldwide thing.

You should pay a rebroadcast fee for anything you do not hold a copyright or license for.

That includes playing the radio and CD's at work, having a T.V playing, even putting music on customers DVD's (your kiosk software will include the license)...

I like the comment above, although if you registered as a musician you would have to pay for a different license to listen to yourself playing at work and it would cost more than the royalty payments (figure that one out!).

I had the cheeky sods come into the shop, they didn't announce themselves. then I got a bill for £300+ I rang them straight away and told them that if the staff wanted radio on then they would pay for it themselves which they were not willing to do.

told them take me to court.

never heard anything else.

personally I don't like the radio on in the lab but the staff want it on so its on their head if I get a fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Does anyone know - are PPL the same as PRS? We've just had a letter from PRS and they look like a totally different outfit to the PPL paperwork shown at the beginning of this thread. Anyone else had a letter recently?

Just ignore it. It's not legally enforceable so I'm led to believe. (and before anyone kicks off I got this info from another forum I post on- If you just ignore it they eventually go away, it's not worth their time to chase you)

You are right Tony, I tried telling them the situation here, and it turns out that as long as the clients cannot hear it, all people that can are family, then it is private broadcast, not public. we covered everything, including the answerphone, and notes were dully left on their database. should have been an end to it, but no, after a further 5/6 calls, I got quite shirty with them and told them to go read their database, and b##### off and stop bothering me. I haven't heard from them since, but i'm still waiting.........

I don't like being rude to people, but sometimes.........

These people are persistent, even after a visit, I was still getting calls.