kodak forum shut down

david t

Great Neil, can you set up a forum where us KEX members can have a department that only fellow KEX members can get access to?  Can you also prevent Kodak and Tetenal getting on to it?  We could then all say things we couldn't before although I have always spoken my mind, whoever was watching.

cecilh, sure I can do this.. My difficulty would be to know whow is who etc to allow access, this would be the tricky bit.. Have you or anyone else got any suggestions to how this could be done?

A few years back a little group called Ex Express was going. As some will know, I have also in the past voiced my own opinions  ;)

We do have a password protected area in the Noritsu section, so this could be a solution, where I add a list of people that have requested the password etc. Doing this however is not fail safe due to the pass being passed on etc. But it could serve as a starting point.

If anyone has thoughts or ideas on this, please do feed in to this thread.

If there was demand, a dedicated web site could also be set up, but this would rely on some donations to cover the cost etc.

I think it should be open as that really is the spirit of this forum. From what I understand Kodak rewarded positive posters so the old system was not exactly without bias ( and that information came from a trusted Rep, so I am inclined to believe it )

Minilabhelp needs more people contributing as the General Chit Chat is very quiet lately. This time in previous years it was buzzing with talk of Christmas trade, ideas. Where is everyone? Perhaps it could get some more publicity through the PMA forum or in the magazine?

agree with you there noritsuvet, but we do have a password protected Noritsu section (I don't know why ;)).

If it helps people 'open up', why not? If they contribute to that section, odds on they will read other sections and contribute to them as well.

I thought it was me being 'gobby' that had quietened the forum down, and have just been 'watching' for a couple of weeks, but no. I think everyone is finding the present climate a little scarry, and concentrating on their businesses. Even the boys printing from their garages are getting jumpy (there are several in my area) and slagging off everyones work, obviously to try and increase their market share. Very silly and embarrasing behaviour, but inevitable.

We are still showing growth, but a lot of that is because boots are no longer doing 'print from print' or print from slides. With Tesco's order cut off fast approaching, I am ready for the last minute Canvas orders (when my stretchers arrive!!)

along with the mugs etc. etc.

Talking of Tesco's Canvas, has anyone seen their sample?  :X

Some good points raised...

First, you will be reading about this web site soon in the trade magazine  ;)

I suppose that I could re-install the "hide" button... what this does, is that if you have something to say, but it may be a little controversial it means that only registered users that are logged into the forum are able to read the text.

It's a mystery why the Kodak Express forum has closed. It was very much used. By the way, nobody was rewarded for posting that I'm aware of.

A new Express section on here would be good. The only problem with it being open to everyone is that sometimes pricing and deals were discussed which are private to members. However, the vast majority of chat is completely open so if a private section is too difficult to organise then an open one is fine.

The Forum was closed by the moderators, Janice did not know until middle of last week that we where closing it, Tetenal had financed it until May 2009.

As moderators we had better things to do than listen to some of the whinging crap posted there. as for Kodak checking the Forum, they had not even looked at it for over 12 months,

Janice could not even log onto it.

To thoses that really gained benift from the Forum I apologose for its closure and you  know how to contact me, as for those that think rewards where given for good posted

join the Real World and perhaps put as much effort ito running your buisness as you did in moaning about how Bad Kodak are ( They are not Brill) but are by far better than any other Chain. then perhaps you will make more money.

More info will now be passed on by Kodak through the KEX.Com site as the ball is in Kodak Court now.

I agree about the whingers. We just don't need it and some positive feedback is what's needed now more than ever. I would say that Kodak certainly have looked after some dealers very well and have quite strategically picked out some in every country to lead their foray away from silver halide. I know that they picked an Express store in Stevenage and another high profile PMA member in the US and have given them significant resources to make it happen.

Whether they have rewarded people here to provide positive contributions I don't know, but believe they do in other parts of the world. Who cares? It's not a big deal if someone gets some free paper or a better deal on a machine. These days it really is survival of the fittest so good on them.

Trevor

I thoroughly enjoyed reading and contributing to the Kodak Express forum.  I always praised Kodak when credit was due and criticised when they did things wrong.  There were more good things that came out of the forum, not simply whinging as you suggest.  For example, recently when we found it impossible to get our Kodak scanner repaired/replaced through Tetenel/Kodak we got help from a poster on the forum.   A few days later a replacement scanner arrived.  

As for your comment about Janice not reading the forum, once when I made a negative comment about her she was on the phone to me within a very short time!  

I have both received and given help thanks to the Kodak forum to other Kodak Express members.  It is a real shame that it has all ended.

• 4 weeks later...

After 1200 topics and over 7000 posts in less than two years, the Kex forum has now closed. Thank you to everyone who contributed.

Communication amongst us Kex retailers is important and we are looking at some new ways to communicate between each other for 2009.

All existing members will be emailed in due course.

Happy New Year

For the size of our industry there are probably too many forums, which end up diluting the good ones like this. I see that Pixel Live now has a forum with probably more of a camera emphasis that Minilab help. It would have been great to get the Kex people on minilabhelp as their interests are so similar to the rest of ours. With diminishing numbers of indies these forums are the best way to share ideas and get support.

I know there has been some 'Kodak Knocking' in the past but Kex people shouldn't feel under seige. In the end we are all in this together and should be working in unison to drive customers back to the on-site labs.

you raise good and valid points fujilab  :) As a culprit of of knocking KEX over the years (for my own reasons) I must agree that now is the time to unite all of the independents, in what could be challenging times.

The aim of this forum / site is for it to be an independent site for the lab owners, with no hidden agendas, to this extent, it is pretty unique, and is used by other site to try and replicate.

I do also understand that for KEX members, there is info that can be classed as "private" As mentioned already, I would have no problem in setting up a KEX section here. This could be divided into 2 sections, one <public> and one <private> the private area, could be password protected, like we have in place on the Noritsu section. I would also welcome a moderator/s to look after this.

Once again, the offer is here, if it is needed.

Yes Neil, as one who has spoken for and against Kodak on the Kodak forum and against YOU and for Kodak on this forum, I would be delighted to go along with your ideas. I believe Tetenal refused to pay any more money towards the forum and the KEX members looking after it became fed up. You seem to have endless time to look after Minilab Help now you are one of the idol rich so would seem to be the man for the job! You should be very proud of this forum which, after all, is your baby. Regards, Cecil Hughson.

You seem to have endless time to look after Minilab Help now you are one of the idol rich
  8) That made me smile  :) I wish I had time on my hands.... If anyone could see what I am doing now, I doubt they would believe it, but as you say, this site is my baby, and one that I want to see get even better. The photo trade is in my blood, always has been, and no doubt always will be.. I am lucky that I have a understanding wife, who is now the bread earner in this house... And believe it or not, the income that I now provide would class us as being in <poverty>

Let me get a few things set up, and see what KEX people think... I know that we will get some lively debates, but this is important.

cecilh, would you like to be a moderator? Also would anyone else like to be a Mod?

I have one rule, well one major rule... As a mod, now post/thread should ever, ever be deleted, if it is felt that a post/thread has got <heated> it is moved into the Mod section, where it will be looked at.

OK, as a suck it and lets see.... We now have a KEX section section set up... You will find a general area, this open to registered member of Minilabhelp.com to view.. But also a private area, that is password restricted...

Maybe, and just maybe, this can be a way to move forward on this ?