passport backgrounds

AJLA

Up until last week we have been producing our passports with an off white back ground with no problems, however last week we were informed by a customer the our local post office will only accept them with the grey.

I knew some time ago there were discussions regarding grey backgrounds but many were continuing to use similar to mine with no issues.

Has everyone changed to grey in the past 10 days??

The post office gave me the new template which they started using on 1st October it says, "remember that photographs taken against a white background are not acceptable." We darkened the grey on hours to 25% in photoshop to make sure they understood it wasnt white.

Forgive the intrusion from another country.  I cannot believe your PO/Govt. is making this so difficult for you.  Why do they want a grey background?  What is this reasoning? The standard in most other countries (check the new PMA listing) is for a white/light background.  Beats me!    

I have spoken to the passport office, photos are now scanned by their partners Siemens and then passed to the examiners who have no technical knowledge or training but have to reject the photo if they believe it is a white background therefore if you do use 5-10% grey some are likely to be rejected because the eye will struggle to pick up the shade. We have put in over 100 since October 1st  on an identical background and have had one back, the examiner insisting it is white when it isnt, so the test is obviously subjective and also seems to be affected by the scanning. I was told the system is bedding in (once again) so maybe this is a temporary glitch. We will use a darker grey to be safe and hope they wont get rejected for being too grey!

Looks like we all have something else in common.  Traditionally, the PO's here were the passport people.  You made an appointment, they took your photo, and authorised your forms.  I remember having ours done twice and felt such "a nuisance" each time.  Our local PO has been ordered to do passports but they are resisting - they told us that  - it is time consuming, nor do they have the space.  However, it doesn't seem to stop them rejecting ours from time to time.  Things got a bit touchy there for awhile (hostility wise) between us because of so many rejections in a short space of time that I thought were unwarranted.  Out of the blue one day I received a phone call from the Aust. Government Passport Office who eventually told me that, really, they were perfect.  Good colour, bright background, within the boundaries, etc. etc.  Since then, we've had no rejections from our local PO.  Mmmmm! Strange that.  All's quiet on the Western Front, so they say!

We do ours via photoshop so can make the B/G any colour you want, so a nice light grey is easy. Been doing this for 2 years and never had a rejection.

At the same time we can remove any shadows from the background. And before anyone says ' ooh that must take ages' with practise you can do it in less than a minute.

remember-

photoshop is your friend...

Could,nt agree more Tony t been doing it this way for 5 years or more and have refined it over the years and got it down to about 20 seconds thanks to photoshop actions. Though I do get some rejected for the strangest reasons the last one being for not being printed on high gloss paper (WTF)  A new rule someone just dreamed up the local post office..

The problem we have here in oz is we have government owned post offices and privately owned post offices I never have a problem with the gov't p.o they know what the regs are but the private ones are a different kettle of fish..