Good news stories

snpysnps

I don't know about others, but we have seen a lift in business over the past month. Its encouraging considering the world financial markets. We've had growth in print numbers and lots of customers are enquiring about photo-books and gift products for Christmas. Bulk print scanning also on the rise. Hopefully this is a trend.

Anyone else with any good news stories? We need some positive stuff for a change.

Digital prints for us are up. Lots of overseas holiday photos mostly. 3 days this week we had over 4000 prints through the lab each day which for us is good. Canvas prints getting bigger and we are doing more window posters for neighbouring shops. They are all promoting harder to get customers in the door.

Our nearest competitor has lost the plot and not changed with the market. Still has a window full of film based promotions - and he's not getting much of that either.

We like that idea of a minimum service charge. Those small orders take a long time to add up to anything worthwhile.

Agree business is improving. We have been working hard and changed all our marketing to focus on the gift and creative products which is where our increases are coming from. September we gained 8% on the same time last year which is a nice result when you compare Jessops performance (so transparent being a public company now!!) The programme we use begins Christmas marketing now and our orders for canvases and books have already started. If it continues like this the Bank Manager will be pleased

Just saw this in a newsletter from one of our suppliers and thought ir was worth sharing. It makes a valid point;

After seeing the turmoil on the World Financial Markets overnight many could be forgiven for thinking the imaging market is in for even more challenges. We have a different perspective. Read on to learn more..

For decades the photo industry has weathered tough times because we deal in 'nesting'' categories people turn to in uncertain times. With products like pictures, photobooks and canvas prints customers can achieve the feel good factor without spending lots of money.

The most important issue to ensure your stores are merchandising and promoting these products well. Using elements from the Program ensure displays look good, window and kiosk graphics are harmonised and that web and email marketing ties in too. Remember success now lies in 'selling the feeling'- not just the product.

For decades the photo industry has weathered tough times because we deal in 'nesting'' categories people turn to in uncertain times. With products like pictures, photobooks and canvas prints customers can achieve the feel good factor without spending lots of money.

Oh yes, hit the spot down here as well. We are seeing far more 'creative' jobs, and I don't mean Faries and the like (as saleable as they are).

People are generaly feeling 'let down' by the various imageing technologies relentlessly pushed at them, Photo-printing systems which although capable of pleasing output are either expensive to run or difficult to master (or both!!-- although some of the latest offerings are seemingly going in the right direction it is a little late for the average punter whom is not willing to be dissapointed- again). Not to mention those geourgeous plasma offerings, which sited and viewed correctly are truly outstanding. Unfortunately, the majority of modern and (certainly in this area) traditional housing stock does not have a room large enough to site such beasts correctly. Although the technofiles love such things, most of the (aside) comments I have had from partners and family is negative on all of these marvells.

There is nothing like a good print, produced by a caring proffessional. Personal service will mean more in the deepening recession than price I.M.H.O. although price is, and allways will be, important, Personal Service is a big part of the 'feel good' factor mentioned in the quote.

I must admit that I have been surprised over the last couple of months. I had been expecting a drop in trade, but even without new lines (gifts etc.) I have managed to maintain, and even increase, my gross. Good news!

Having carefully picked last week (as traditionaly our quietest week before Christmas) for a break, I am surprised to find that our 'pending' work is now larger than at our bussiest period during the summer. Must be doing something right, and glad I took the break when I did!!  

Just back from the Fuji Image Service mini conference, and have to say that the mood was very positive. Photo volumes and profits up on a year ago, - and the beginning of a change in mood for the future. Of course the credit crunch increases uncertainty, - but there are reports thaT people spend more on home comforts during economic downturn, - and that includes photos. cannot wait for PMA in Las Vegas next march to see new software and hardware. might even do some shopping !

P