DIY photo-gifts, part 2

Tony.T

Well folks the press kit has just arrived (at long last).

It looks to be well and sturdily made. VERY heavy, which is a good sign I guess. It has a 'CE' plate on it along with a date of manufacture and serial no, so no worries there.

Will install it over the next day or so and test it out. I'll let you know how it goes. Just to whet your appetites here are some photos of it....

Tony

At last I have had the chance to try out the equipment.

The modified R92 printer performed flawlessly to produce 2 transfers- one for a mug and one for a money clip.

The packet of dye- sub paper (TexPrintXP A4+ ) included sheet with the recommended temp and times for various substrates. I used these to set up the press. I used one of the plate presses to do the money clip insert, very easy to change over. The presses (mug and plate) came up to temp very fast, and held the temp at the setting used. The timer counts down and beeps when finished. As easy as that.

And the results?

Well, perfect really. Both items (which were ordered by customers) are fine to sell. So my first trial earnt me money- I could get to like this  :)

All consumables were ordered from subli-nation, choice of products outstanding and price and delivery very good.

Tony

all i have have is a big banner in the window saying DESIGN YOUR OWN PERSONALISED MUG and about half dozen mugs and various photo gifts with various designs and occasional designs ie Mothers Day, Birthdays Birthdays, Valentines Day, Anniversaries.

Sublimation printer?

How many inks are you using?  What size printer A4 or A3.  Ink cartridges or bulk flow systems?  What to pay for a printer?

Have been looking at this, as always there are several options.  Has anyone seen a supply for mugs with coloured handles?

Nick- speak to Richard at  www.intelli-ink.co.uk  He will sort you out an epson printer with a ciss system (bulk ink) c/w dye sub ink at a very reasonable price.

Look at www.subli-nation.co.uk for mugs and consumables. Also they have a forum which is useful. E-bay is worth a look but be careful of prices.

Nash, I like your banner wording so I'm going to steal it ok ?  ;D

Tony

Hi Tony

No problem and i also downloaded pictures od pets ie dogs, cats and better still KITTENS & PUPPIES people love pets on mugs

as for Nicks question i came across Viking Direct of Leicester the have brand new Epson D92 printers for less than

Those mugs look pretty good, got me thinking, but I was wondering about how it works.

You use an inkjet printer to print onto a type of tranfer paper & this is then put on to item using a heat press? Is this correct? How durable are the mugs? Can they be put into dishwasher & used normally?  Is it pigment or dye based ink?

Anyway, sounds like a excellent service to offer.

Those mugs look pretty good, got me thinking, but I was wondering about how it works.

You use an inkjet printer to print onto a type of tranfer paper & this is then put on to item using a heat press? Is this correct? How durable are the mugs? Can they be put into dishwasher & used normally?  Is it pigment or dye based ink?

Anyway, sounds like a excellent service to offer.

The mugs are dishwasher proof , which means they are as durable as any other and repeated washes in the dishwasher will not harm them. The Dye-sub inks used are dye based . This is why the basic printer must be modified to accept a bulk ink system. Some manufacturers make ink cartridges for the most popular ink jet printers filled with dye-sub ink, but these are expensive to use..

Just my 2p wortrh, - Inks by 'sawgrass artanium' seem to be most well regarded by those in the industry for the long term.

Try placing your sub mugs in a sunny window for a month and watch the detail blurr together !

The other issue is blocked heads, - and head life.

be great to hear that your bargin is perfect, - maybe make me feel a little dumb ?

Phil

Definately agree with what Phil says, would not use anything other than the sawgrass inks based on items produced by people using others.

Can't say I haven't had any problems but I certainly have not had blocked head problems with my system.

Tried and tested all of the products we sell no problems so far.

• 2 weeks later...

We use the Kodak 8600 series printers to create a dye-sub donor. They are under USD$100 on ebay which makes them disposable if they breakdown. After adding a little saturation and density in PhotoShop, We print 3 donors to a sheet, cut them apart and press them for 3.5 minutes at about 165oC. We've found the best way to generate demand is to have mugs all over the store. We all use photo mugs to drink from, as pencil holders etc. Near holidays we help give customers gift ideas by putting ribbons on mugs, filling them with candy or dog treats or fishing gear or anything else we can think of that might make a customer want to give a mug as a gift.

Which produces the most fade resistant result - Artanium inks or dye-sub? I have heard that some of the wholesale labs have been running trials using different systems but never found out which one had the best result (in dishwashers etc) Time seems to have moved on from the dye sub systems but do they achieve the same results as inks?

• 2 months later...

We have just received our press kit.  We now need a printer.  Based on the advice from this thread, it would seem that Sawgrass inks are the way to go.  Epson currently have four printers which we are considering - the Epson 1400, R1900, R2400 & new  R2880.  Can anyone confirm whether the Sawgrass ink system is compatible with any of these printers?  Thanks.

• 1 month later...

cecilh,

The Epson R1400 does have a CIS system for it.  We're using an Epson C88 with the Artanium Inks and a CIS system. (T-Shirts only for now)

I get most of my stuff from Conde in New Jersey

Also, check out this web site : http://www.t-shirtforums.com

It has lots of info for those interested in making T-Shirts - Sublimated or "iron-on"....

• 2 weeks later...

Tony T, - it's 5 months now since you got your kit, - just wondering how it is performing, - and how you are finding business ?

I bought a shop full of kit about the same time as you, - and once again bought from The Magic Touch.

Their prices are a lot more than e-bay etc, - but i have found their products top quality, - and the technical help line & support absolutely superb in every way.

I'd like to think that if i equip another site i could do it on the cheap, - but just fear that I'd be dealing with technical problems and inconsistant quality instead of getting on with the real business of being nice to customers.

Hope all is well, - and really interested to get your perspective.

Thanks

Phil

I know we are heading into a recession, but this takes the biscuit.

A guy walks in today with half a dozen mugs and asks me to print on them. They are bone china and very ornate (bulbous base with a waist and exagerated lip). I try explaining that the mugs need special coating, and would need a special wrap making for the press. Pressing me for a price (sic), He gets upset when I tell him I would normaly charge around

Tony T, - it's 5 months now since you got your kit, - just wondering how it is performing, - and how you are finding business ?

I bought a shop full of kit about the same time as you, - and once again bought from The Magic Touch.

Their prices are a lot more than e-bay etc, - but i have found their products top quality, - and the technical help line & support absolutely superb in every way.

I'd like to think that if i equip another site i could do it on the cheap, - but just fear that I'd be dealing with technical problems and inconsistant quality instead of getting on with the real business of being nice to customers.

Hope all is well, - and really interested to get your perspective.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil-

not had one problem with the press kit. Works perfectly. Any rejects are my fault.

For the money I cannot reccommend it highly enough. I honestly cannot see the point in paying a lot more for a press that can only produce one item.