burn CD/DVD for standalone DVD player

Liz

We burn our customer's images to CD or DVD-R using Nero and explain that it may not be compatible with their stand alone DVD player.  We burn them as data.  But this issue is  frustrating me and my customers.  I know I can create a slide show using any number of programmes that will do a VOB format, or Nero using its SVCD  but this is about the extent of my knowledge.  Can anyone suggest a programme that will burn images to disc that are guaranteed to play on a standalone player, and that will still allow those images to be accessible on either a CD or DVD-R?  My technical knowledge is about 6 out of 10 here so if you use the KISS principle I would appreciate it.  

Hi Liz, there are a couple of issues here, Software is one, the other is the type of disc. We used to use dvd-r, which according to our supplier was the most compatable, but ended up with as many as 30% failed reads. In practice we have found that since using DVD+RW we have had no failed discs.  We also use Nero 8, which is a good programme. Be aware it will do a lot in the field of DVD authoring, but you need to buy various plugins and licences (which is a real pain and distracting).

Good luck.

%hanks for replying.  I have downloaded Burn4Free and will experiment with it tonight.  Photographis and Mr Noritsu, I understand that I can use software to burn these images as a slideshow, but I'm also wanting something that will leave the images individually accessible instead of burning them into a format that doesn't allow that.

In Nero 8,There's a little tick box which asks you what you want to add with the slideshow (this apears when your slideshow is loaded, ready to move on). It is set by default to 'nothing', click the 'dropdown' and you will notice 'original files'. This will add the full images, to allow printing. When it is read on a pc this file is very easy to access, just like a data disc.

Hi Cecilh, starting at the vision start page, choose 'make slideshow' , DVD video is at the top of the tree, selected takes you to 'my media files' page, choose 'browse and add', when FIRST slideshow complete (you can make multiple slideshows) click next (bottom r/h). the next page, 'Content', shows your slideshow ready for titleing or adjustment, bellow the slideshow pane is a little 'dropdown' which says Add /nothing (default)/original pics/HTML browsing gallery/pc slideshow. Choose original pics.

If you are creating more than one slideshow on the same disc, go right and 'make slideshow' again, which will take you back to 'my media files,' when second is complete, on to the 'Content' page, you will notice the 'Add' is now (or should be!) set to 'original pictures'. As the default is 'nothing' it has to be selected every time you start a slideshow, but once started, should remain. I allways double check. Once you have titled and finished, click burn.

The original images should be in a seperate folder, double click as standard, print.

Sorry it took a while to get back, been busy poking fishing line up blocked pipes!!!

Hi Liz, just completed a 400+ slide to DVD slideshow using this method, recieved a call from the customer yesterday who was extatic. We allways like feedback, especialy positive!!

But yes, it works. you must have a few files of images around, burn a few to a slideshow and try it. I allways burn to DVD+RW, as I have had 'failed' results from all other formats. This does fly in the face of manufacurers advice, but there being such an assortment of DVD players out there........... This may differ in Oz, so you may have to experiment a little with the different formats of disc, which is agravating and time consuming.

Let us know how you get on!