Fuji Imaging profits collapse

STEVE

Fuji have been the advocates of dropping print prices to get volume. I understand they have totally stuffed the Australian market and with their support for the big names here, we're seeing the same. It's interesting to see this is all coming back to bite them.

Did they mention how many shares they had in Jessops - or are all those minilabs now paid for????

WITH PAPER COSTS AT 2p PER PRINT, CHEMISTRY 1/2P PER PRINT, JOB BAG,STAFF, PLANT COSTS ETC, ANYONE CHARGING LESS THAN 10p IS A TOTAL WALLY. Fuji IS ONE OF THOSE COMPANIES WHO HAVE PUSHED THE BIG RETAILERS AND SUPERMARKETS TO PRINT AT LESS THAN COST TO GET VOLUME. RETAILERS LOOSE MONEY WHOLESALER MAKES MONEY. ALL PHOTO RETAILERS HAVE EXPECTED DIGITAL TO BRING IN LARGE PROFITS FROM DIGITAL PRINTING, EVEN THOSE WHO WORK ON VERY TIGHT MARGINS EXPECTED MASSIVE VOLUMES. JOE PUBLIC HOWEVER DOESN'T WANT TO PAY TO HAVE ANYTHING PRINTED, HENCE VOLUMES HAVE PLUMMETED.

ONLY THOSE OF YOU WITH BRAINS, PATIENCE AND LOW OVERHEADS WILL SURVIVE. FUJI WITH THEIR GOLD PLATED TOILET SEATS AND LARGE EXSPENCE ACCOUNTS, I THINK WILL DISAPPEAR TO THE MARGINS OF THE PHOTO INDUSTRY.

ONLY BY REBUILDING THROUGH LOCAL INDEPENTANTS CAN THEY REGAIN WHAT THEY HAVE LOST.

Digital print volumes have never lived up to expectations, even when they are being offered below cost.

Fuji here has supported the big retailers with their ridiculously low print prices, at the expense of every one else, and what we have now is an unsustainable, unprofitable industry.

Harvey Norman have been offering 15cents per print off and on for orders over 200 for about 18monthes here in New Zealand.

I also heard from a minilab tech that the warehouse is removing all minilabs and are installing the new HP printers.they are chucking out labs that in some cases are only 1 year old.

Visited a Woolworths Big W yesterday, and right behind the nice new Frontier 570 was a sign with 12c per print crossed out, and 11c written in - just so they can beat Hardly Normal!!!

No one can tell me this price discounting is not being supported by Fuji in some way. Yes I know about loss leaders and all that, but the mass merchants are not totally stupid!

How interesting,reading all this.

In France it is the same.

For example in Leclerc hypermarkets.

These mass merchandisers make huge profits and want to APPEAR as competing with one another,wich is not what they do.

Maybe Fuji had imagined they were making a massive worldwide attack that would have left them as the last agx manufacturer,laughing all the way to the bank...

We have an Australian working for us during the summer who used to work at a Harvey Norman in Sydney. Tells me that they use the discounted print price to drive customers into the shop when things are quiet ( so if the print price is low, don't buy any shares he says  - it's an indicator of how they are trading ) Apparently there is big speculation among their franchisees about the relationship between the Head Office and Fuji's MD.

Apparently they are coming to the UK - already busy wrecking the market in Eire.

I have great difficulty finding a Kodak supported site/chain/group in Australia who are doing Kodak prints at the same price as Hardly's and Big W. K Mart might drop their prices, but that is their policy of "meeting" competition.

To a certain degree, we are a little insulated from the Fuji branding due to the different identity, and maybe, just maybe, people see Fuji as the cheep brand, and Kodak as a premium brand.

I'm guessing here, but I'd like to think it is a little bit true.

I saw a presentation on the Australian market last year and couldn't understand why shops hadn't differentiated themselves by changing the look of their kiosks. From a customers point of view a Fuji kiosk is a Fuji kiosk whether its in a premium camera shop or a supermarket. Fuji have been trying to encourage the Australian system of multi kiosks and club cards to bring in punters but all they are interested in is sqm of paper - not profit - or even survival.

We are lucky none of the big discount shops use Noritsu kiosks. I agree that consumers think everything of certain types of machines will be the same. Fuji will have been caught with Jessops and have to make that up in charging the rest of us for the privilage of helping them sink the digital print price. Go the independents I say  ;)

I think the concept of a "loss leader" is not new to megastores.  Sadly, for us, they went with the latest digital gadget and its output (printing).  No matter to them.  As you say.  Brings people into the store to buy other stuff.  We also do this on a VERY much smaller scale as do most other retailers I should say.  It does work.

If one is looking at the global situation...........here we go..

Looking at even conservative estimates on the effects of increasing global warming, within the next 50 years most industrial/trading/population centres will be under water.

This leaves the big boys this long to realise as much cash as they can. Will they re-build?

With the re-settlement of so many (the bulk of the population) dis-placed persons, it seems more likely that they will diversify into other areas.

These questionable events and outcomes in the future will have an effect upon us now, simply because those whom take these issues seriously are already guarding their assets.

Having a talk a few weeks back with my fuji tech, he enlightened me that all current model Fuji printers are rebadged noritsu's using Fuji's soup.  Fujifilm have no further investment making wetlabs. :(

Fujifilm Aust own 49% of Whitech. Apparently, there is some glitch between the Frontiers and the Fuji rebadged whitech software intergration. It's driving the store owners and the tech's nuts. Japan blaming Sydney, Sydney's blaming Japan.

And so say all of us!!

Clive Anthony's, a mob from Queensland turning up here in NSW, are running Kodak machines and paper and are normally charging 12c overnight service. I saw an advertisement on the weeekend offering 10 cent prints to counteract the the current Hardly Normal 12c print. Also I believe Dick Smith Powerhouse (again Fuji Labs) currently charge 10c for their normal price.

Funny how the heavyweights of the industry, the highly paid MD's etc of Kodak and Fuji seem to want to destroy their own industry.  Hang On- Reminds me of Free Film of 20 years ago- don't they ever learn? :o

I went past a Dick Smith the other day & they had a sign out saying 15c prints. A few days later the sign was changed to 10c. Haven't been into the store so don't know what they are using though I hear it is Fuji? On their website it says HP snapfish, which makes me wonder why you would order prints from the Dick Smith site?

Anyway 10c per print seems pretty stupid. Would probably be cheaper & easier  to just give a few dollars away at the door to each customer as they come in. ;D