Average Order Volumes

fujilab

I am interested to know how many prints everyone is achieving for an 'average order'? We have lots of orders going through our kiosks but in reality our average print volume per order is still quite low. Some of the reps have mentioned stores getting 100+ prints as their average order but no one I have spoken with who has a lab gets this. Fact or fiction?

I.M.H.O.

Bulk orders are rapidly becoming a thing of the past, most people now realising that with the advent of digital capture and storage there is little or no point in 'printing all'. We do still get the occassional 4/500 print order, but more usual is around the 50/100.

With Tesco et.al. giving bulk prints away, and their deceptive pricing structures (which many people realise to late), I don't even try to compete with them on that front.

where we can win is on personal attention. I promote enlargements, which in our local supermarkets is 24hr. minimum, and do them on the spot.

Not only do they get what they want, IMEDIATELY, but it is invariably to a much higher standard, (and much more proffitable for us!), which has won us quite a few customers.

How can you compete with a business that pulls stunts like our local tesco's does? the most recent was buy the Sun and get a loaf of bread free.   Tell me how that works.

The cost of customer service is a worry, in the old days we would spend a minute or two to take in a film, now its not uncommon to spend 15 minutes plus for an order worth less than five pounds. Its no good explaining the self service concept as these customers use us for the customer service we offer, the multiples seem to turn people away who cant use the kiosks.

I don't agree the days of big orders are over. We are promoting heavily and run new offers each month which is getting more customers through our doors than we've ever had before. Seems everyone is looking for a bargain but we have gone gone down another route which is more successful.

There is a Tesco's nearby but people struggle with their kiosks and get frustrated. We shouldn't get hung up on their pricing as really it's just encouraging people's awareness to our products which is helping the whole market.

- oh and by the way, that Loaf was very tasty ;)

in the old days we would spend a minute or two to take in a film, now its not uncommon to spend 15 minutes plus for an order worth less than five pounds

Thats a very intresting comment, and thanks for this... But alas, I remember the <good old days> where some one would like to order a few re-prints for friends, from 35mm negs.... Then after ages of trying to look through negs you would get 3/4 re-prints  :) Have times changed?

Just down to pricing structures again.

D.I.Y. prints from our kiosk are 22p, we touch it, 50p. regardless of quantity.

Silver halide, different matter. 1@50p, 400+@10p, bulk discount only applying to multiple images off the same neg. Bulk discount only applies to un-adjusted/cropped etc. digital images (whack the card in, press print).

As said, people come to us for service, few still expect competetiveness with multiples/supermarkets.

As for film, those still using it feel they are a dying breed, and I am finding they want to remeniss (?) for longer and longer............

As for promotions, snpysnps, do share, sounds interesting!

Getting lots of digital but hardly any prints off 35mm any longer. Would love some big orders like that but I don't think they are out there? Only thing we find from film is some large scan to CD orders as some of our serious customers start to archive their images. I bought an off-the-shelf marketing pack earlier in the year and it has worked well but you could make any promotion work as long as you work it hard long and change them regularly.

Agree, promotion is important if we want to keep punters coming in the door. After all Tesco, asda and boots do it with their photo departments. To many indies don't seem to think we need to market to the masses but we should be if we expect to get any volume. We price at 25p but will deal to get the order. Don't lose too many to the competitors.

We have a very high print count our 3203 is almost 3 years old and we have done just over 4 million pints already which works out to just under 4000 prints a day including sundays though some days are busy and some are slow our best print count we had was just short of 8000 in one day, that was very busy and we all needed a pint after that one!!!!

And we also colour correct everything because we to think the customer should have the best possible.