"Digital Press" will it be our new photofinishing?

AjantaKVS

Does a 'digital offset press' like HP indigo 5500 or Xerox Docucolor 5000 can really replace our traditional digital sliver halide wet process? Can these digital presses act as our photofinishing printers in the near future? or is it ink jet dry labs will be our future photofinishing equipment?

Just to know the future or near future trends please vote the following poll and let me know your thoughts and comments on this multi technologies offered to us.

Thanks in advance to one and all who will contribute to this poll.

AjantaKVS

Who knows, betamax was the best, but vhs cheaper to produce.

work that one out and you have your answer. Our personal prefferences have little to do with it, the general public are so swamped with the avallanche of technology that they are in the main just totaly confused.

How many times a week do you get asked about the inks in your silverhalide prints?

At the moment the cost of Indigo's for photo-quality reproduction is huge but I can't see why this can't be reduced for a smaller version - say to do standard prints and enlargements up to 8x12". I'm guessing this is where HP will take the Instore studio system they are selling now - although this has a long way before it gets to the same print quality we are achieving from minilabs.

Apparently they are releasing a very different type of print system at PMA in Vegas this February. Will be worth watching as HP want to 'own' this market.

I'd vote 2 & 3 but that's not an option.

I knew it is going to be the option for some but i could not include it because, simply because i don't know how to create one more option to the available fixed list of entries, Any ideas how to add few more options to the fixed list to extend the options. Anyway thanks for the vote and thoughts.

AjantaKVS

What is the timeframe ?

if we are talking 100 years from now - then - there is no future for photofinishing labs,

the BIG question is, .... how long will it take to get to that point ?

Phil

Well, I said near future not giving a fixed time frame, If you insist for one, my idea of near future is say from 3 to 4 years from now.

AjantaKVS

I cannot remember what the choices were - I can only see the answers now.

IMHP - the smart money for the next 3-4 years will be for Die Sub (or is that Dye Sub ?) printing

Consumers are willing to pay 29p for 'instant' prints (currently)

even if the media costs you 12p or similar - that is a lot more margin than you can ever get on wet-lab.

It's idiot proof, fully automated, capital cheap, and good enough for most happy snappers.

Phil

• 6 months later...

We are adding a 7 color HP indigo to our 6 silver halide printers.  It by no means will be replacing them, but we can now offer a more environmentally friendly paper option.  We will be printing 4x6's up to 12x18's and the the folded cards, business cards, etc.

Exciting times.  The indigo output is truly incredible.