which products are selling?

Tony.T

Hi everyone- need a bit of help from you.

I'm considering investing in a marketing package which can be tailored to specific needs.

None of us has a crystal ball, but even so what do you think are going to be the big/ best sellers amongst the products we can produce in-house. Which are the ones worth marketing aggressively?

At present, other than normal printing etc from digital and less and less so from film, we can produce on site, the following:-

Canvas wraps

posters

photobooks

A range of dye-sub printed photogifts (T-shirts, mugs, mousemats etc etc)

Sales are bumping along the bottom so a new marketing approach is needed.

So, what do you think- market everything? Or concentrate on a few high value, high volume items?

My feeling is to reduce marketing the D&P side as imo it is in decline, possibly permanantly and it may not be worth flogging a dead horse.

All opinions welcomed

Tony

I wouldn't be putting any energy into D&P marketing. Everyone will know you process films so there is no point trying to put too many messages out there. It will just confuse punters.

Photobooks are becoming popular although I wonder whether these are a 'just for Christmas' product? Canvases are really good and we are getting lots of re-orders. Digital prints and enlargements getting busier as we add more kiosks but we would love to be doing more. Posters are good for local businesses but we don't have any demand from people of the street.

We are looking for a new marketing angle too so are investigating what to do to improve business. Some of the other Fuji Labs have split from the group gone with programs so we are waiting to see how they go.

I have found that this year D&P has really died for me. Will probably outlab it soon. Doing mainly digital prints & passport photos, & a bit of frames, framing & laminating. Albums don't seem to sell at all anymore, (what do people do with the photos they print?)

Large format printing & canvases have not been very sucessful for me. Am thinking about photobooks but really don't want to spend any money on equipment, might try printing them & getting them bound elsewhere.

Anyone using wire coil binding for photo books? Seems like it could be a cheaper way to test the market, and can look quite good.

Am thinking about photobooks but really don't want to spend any money on equipment, might try printing them & getting them bound elsewhere.

Anyone using wire coil binding for photo books? Seems like it could be a cheaper way to test the market, and can look quite good.

How many times have I posted this ?

Use the unibind system- very cheap to get up and running, fabulous quality. Look at their website. You sometimes get unibind stuff on e-bay very cheap indeed.

Scanning services

promote converting your customers slides, prints & negs to CD.

We have had big success with this, families bringing in 500+ old slides to be converted.

Tapes to DVD is also huge business.

We do all of that, The HUGE sign that Tranfer2.co.uk gave us acts like a magnet for video tapes !

Good thinking about scanning services, although we do a lot it usually starts by people coming in and saying ' do you.....'

Any more ideas please?

Seems marketing is everything right now. Some get it right and others miss the boat. Klick do a good job with nice displays, posters and displays. We always watch to see what they are up to as there is a store of theirs nearby us. Like everyone else D&P is a non-starter and we don't advertise it. Photo book is increasing , so are enlargements and poster prints now we have better examples to promote them. Looking at getting one of the Kodak multiprint scanners to become more competitive when quoting large print to print orders. Also going to move into T shirt and mugs market as this seems popular.