PASSPORT PHOTOS

nash

had my second reject this year on sat! and it was on a grey background!

we only did a grey for a week or so, but we are now back to making sure everything is white.

I am getting a little frustrated though because we have tried to do as is required according to the passport office, but that is exactly what is rejected.

we use a kodak 6490 with a slave flash on the background, then into photoshop using the dodge tool on the background. we've been doing it like this for a year or two (upto 20 a day)and never get rejects.

until they start sending all my passports back, this is how I am going to do them.

I would say carry on doing what you used to, as they seem to just want the image quality to be right, regardless of the background colour (white or grey)

"Photos must be taken against a plain, uniform, off-white or light-grey background. 5 - 10% grey is  recommended"

is what the Passport office wants.  So they are really just asking for a light background, off-white is acceptable, so any colour will do as long as it is a light colour.  We are still using a cream background with a slave flash to remove shadows and so far have avoided using Photoshop, occassionally have to use iPhoto to remove red eye.

Nick is dead right, we do much the same. The issue with a 5% grey background I think is to reduce high contrast levels which are difficult to scan their end.

If you have a freindly post office nearby go and have a word as they can get you a checking device for a small fee. They are looking for someone to reccomend as the staff are getting a lot of hassle with the sizing of photobooth pictures.

i`ve used cream white and grey and so far they have rejected all of them, i`m not new to this game i`ve been taking passport pictures for nearly 15 years and within the last 3 days i`ve had 40 pictures returned.

So i`m now telling cutomers that i have stopped taking passport pictues for the month of Feburaury until the passport office sorts out their problems there end.

Hi Nick

London

if it does get past the post office we still have returns from the passport agency,

it`s getting to the stage that mothers are getting frantic with me

i used to love doing children passport pictures they were so good that we use to extra sets for key rings

It dosent make sense, babies passports arent subject to the same strict critera only a good likeness is required, we have'nt had a problem (so far). Is it worth ringing the passport offfice? They've been very helpful to us in the past and if you have the rejection letter you can speak to the person responsible for rejecting the photo and if it got as far as their scanner they should be able to bring the image up on screen.

Dear aks have ever tried ringing the passport office its a nightmare it gets worse when you do get through you get a right plank

i`m thinking of putting my price of 4.99 to 6.99 for a set of 4

because i`m losing all confidence in myself as specially when the customers remarks thats why i`ve come to an professional and not to one of those photo booths.

Especially when a clients needs a passprt urgently and then only to be rejected

i can understand why we the photo labs gets the brunt of it

Speak as you find! If you have the rejection letter in front of you it should have a contact name and direct dial number, this person will be dealing with the application. We phoned last year when they rejected a perfectly good photo, turned out it had been scanned incorrectly. They rescanned the photo and sent the passport out to the customer within a week. Very helpful, saved the customer

We have similar problems with passport photos here. Sometimes get rejects out of the blue for a reason I have never heard of before, and there seems to be no consistency about what gets accepted & rejected.

The most annoying thing is quite a few post offices here do their own polaroid passport photos, and the ones I have seen are shocking.

Surely it's just a matter of time before passport photos are all done by a dedicated system at the time of application, it would make so much more sense, (but not good for us!).

Make hay while the sun shines, that's what I say.

I like the idea of a 'smiley'.

As an industry we just need to get this right - even if it means a few rejects, For most of us it's a big part of our business and we don't want to lose this market. If they have too many hassles with providors what's the chance of them contracting the Post Office where they could probably take thumb prints, hair samples and whatever else they'll need for passports of the future  ;)

Thank goodness they don't accept emailed images. Can you imagine every Tom, Dick or Harry having a DIY go first? 4.99 is too cheap - 9.99 is more in line with what these things are worth.

PMA should be working to co-ordinate this thing with the Passports Office and passing on the new requirements to shops. C thru templates are available from some country's embassies - how come we don't have these here?

• 3 weeks later...

There is no consistancy with the passport agency, I have had perfectly good photos rejected as "they wont scan" and then I had a customer come in who showed us one she had recently sent in to the passport office and they have put it in her passport. Its taken at her home with no pro lighting, printed on a basic inkjet printer (you can clearly see the dots), the lady is smiling with teeth showing  and mouth open. hair partially covering eyebrow and small head size. AND THE PASSPORT OFFICE HAVE ACCEPTED IT. If i took them like that they would be rejected!.

TOTAL INCONSISTANCY!

I feel your frustration, Cobham, I do. But what can you expect? they are Civil Servants, and do not live in the real world as we do.

I feel the passport 'checker' is invaluable, We telephoned the Passport Office and asked for 'one of those things the Post Office use' because we didn't like getting rejections, we were told that just because it (the image) was the correct size would not ensure it would be accepted. We countered that if we knew it was the correct size, that was one less thing to worry about. They were kind enough to send us one.

Key rings and small frames are a beaut for that added value. we have a small display tray by the till, works wonderfully for baby passports.

I'm doing a new passport photo poster for the shop, and I need 300dpi color scans of the outside front cover of UK, Dutch and greek passports and any other countries that are available.

Could anyone please email to me at alan@huttstreetphotos.com.au.

They do not have to be clean sterile covers, they can be well used. When its done, I'll happilly share it with everyone

• 3 weeks later...