brand names?

QUICKPICS112

>:(Our industry has been dominated by a small group of very large companies for many decades, but to me, this had now changed. We have alined our image with one of these companies for nearly 20 years. Green signage above the front door, green carpet as you walk in, green coloured slatts in the slatt walling, green job bags, green print wallets. I go on, green film stand, green polo shirts, green clock, green poster boards, green door frame, green and red blind.

However a lot of my customers would not know a mountain in japan if they saw one!! or what it meant in digital terms.

Plus the rumour of having to pay to advertise this company in my town makes me believe that its time to change image or possibly bill a large company for advertiseing space.

How do you all feel about photographic brands or are these big names no longer important ( can't remember the last tv advert for photo processing). :-/

I am surprised you have had no response, there are a lot of people out there that swear by their branding, whichever colour/ colours that may be.

Certainly in my small town branding means nothing (appart from maybe a slightly higher price), unless you include Tesco. With the rumours that have been flying over the last 18 months, and with the 'big boys' getting together for joint projects, I feel that in a coulpe of years everything will have changed, Fuji Koki for example may well be in existance by then. Or Norji.

Best thing you could do is a good re-fit and change around, dust off the cobwebs and hang them in a more alluring attitude. By the time you've finished that, the question of branding will be forgoten in the start of the season. Lets all hope.

I have just got rid of the last of my green signage that was all over the shop. I haven't  dealt with that company for 3 years & don't stock any of their products, so for me it is a good feeling to have finally have none of their signage. Have not put all my new signage up yet, so couldn't  tell you yet if it has made a difference, but I'm not expecting it to have any major negative impact.

I think those brands now only have historical relevance, but still hold some infulence over some people.

I would rather try to promote my own brand though, whether this is right or wrong I don't know.

This has come up before & many believe the big yellow signs are powerful customer magnets, and they may be right for all I know.  

I posted on this topic recently. We are trying to decide whether to re-sign our franchise arrangement or go it alone.  We used to have a strong following but i don't think the branding is making any difference these days.

One of the things we will miss if we do leave will be the promotions. I heard there was a company offering independants a promotion kit but i haven't yet found out who despite lots of web searches. Anyone know more?

PS why are fuji persisting with the Fuji'film' branding?

The independant promos are run by a company called First Retail www.firstretail.co.nz . We are now using them and they are great. Seems like they are written by people who know the industry quite well. You get a folder with a promotion for each month along with what they call welcome back offers. Also there are separate promotions for Mothers Day, Fathers Day and Valentines Day. What we like is that the whole thing is so easy that we all can print out the posters and wallet stuffers so theres no excuse for not changing over the promotions each month. We bought the kit along with another lab so shared the cost. Definitely worthwhile.