cine transfers

QUICKPICS112

::)As we all look for new services and cost cutting I wonder if any of you do your own cine transfers?

we all ready offer this service via an out source,but we are lucky to get 1/3 of toatal charge, so have tought about doing our own direct to dvd.

Can any one recommend a projecter type or make and transfer box. Have seen a vivtar unit for sale at little cost. Already have a number of camcorders and dvd burners, but know little about projecters.

would rather make

We use a proffessional film studio (not lab) for all our cine transfers. Seeing their equipment, and the problems they get from dodgy splicing (which even if done properly will only last a few years) and old film, I would never consider doing this. It is only offered as a service, if we make a pound or two from it (which we do), even better.

VHS/HI8 to DVD however...........featured elsewhere in the archives.....

Any one doing vinyls, had a few requests for this and I have also been offered the equipment quite reasonably but i'm not sure how time consuming this is or indeed if there is a demand.  There are lots of old LP's around but are these not mostly available on cd also now?

When we set up for our video transfers, we purchased a Canon Mini DV camera for the Mini DV tapes, we purchased a Sony 8mm camera which plays ALL 8mm formats including Digital 8. We bought a panasonic DVD recorder with a hard drive and a 6 head LG VHS player. I'm currently looking for a beta tape player as we have been asked to do beta to DVD. Thats the setup I'm learning to use, and so far its been easy. The good thing about outlabbing the work is that if its too hard, I can still have it done while I get better at it.

Something i'd rather not get into really myself, the editing,adding titles etc.  Up until now my customers have almost always opted for the bog standard and reasonably afordable straight forward copy.

I have to say though I had a local guy who was offering that and although it got a little complicated at times they did look great.

Think i'll try to keep the costs down and have a better turnover....Thats the theory anyway

The recorders seem ok as far as pricing goes but are there Any machines I should avoid out there?

Nice covers by the way guys, giving me some inspiration !

Depending on the quality of your recorder, but most dvd recorders create a separate tumbnail for each piece of recording which can easily be titled, plus you title the disc with customers name. This gives your end product a quality look at no cost to you. Often dvd transfer work out ranks d&p and digital work for turn over and profit. Word quickly gets around that you do a good job. Three jobs came in today