uk passport using a regular digi cam

Denis

Like lots of you I am struggling to take uk passports using the new grey background. I use a point n shoot kodak digi cam,using only its own flash. Before I used a back flash to get the backgroung white. Now I turn the backflash away to get an even grey background, but get shadows.If I change the background paper to grey and use the backflash, it still goes white.I cannot put any studio lights in as not enough room and low ceiling height. What do you do to lose the shadow and acheive a grey background. Don't reply if you are using 'Proper ID systems'ie Sony,poliroid or mitsibushi type systems. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

i do passport photos with white background. I use a basic fujifilm digi camera, hold it in portait position with flash up, and make sure that the customer is right against the white background, i do not get any shadows apart from a very slim shadow line down the customers RHS shoulder. With women there is no problem as they have lots of hair which hides these shadows. I have been taking them like this for 4 years and only have had 30 odd back.

But with photoshop you have a time issue, our customers come in and 5 min later walk out with a passport photo. We just don't have time to play around in photoshop! Do you have actions set up, or just do it manually? What do you charge to have this perfect service?

We charge

When doing photos on light backgrounds whether for passports or otherwise, have the subject stand far enought away from the backdrop that no shadows will show.  If you do this, you will notice that the shadows fall below the body of the person so that they do not show in the background of the photo.  On a digital camera, you can yourself decide how far away they need to stand.  I normally have people stand about 4 to 5 feet away from the background.  This will also help with turning the white background to gray; since, the light will not be so close to the background.  I have been doing this for years in my portrait studio, and get no shadows.  Hope this helps.  I do passport photos in my studio.

that is a good point, i have never tried that simplt because i do not have that much space between me and the subject and the background,  Also my background is only 2 foot wide , that is why i make sure that the customer is right against the white background. But the next one i must try this