digital prices

david t

Luckily Boots (and Tesco) have a terrible rep. in our area, and even though they are pushing their cheap prints (and other lines) their efforts are being viewed with suspicion. ;D

Not many people try and beat us up over prices now, when they try I just say ' do you realy want me to try and compete against Tesco?' and leave the pause for them to sort out. I either get the work, or don't.

Another comeback is 'when I get my machines for nothing, I, to, could sell my prints for stupid money'

I don't mind working hard, in fact I do work very hard, but there's no way I'm going to work hard for nothing.

Great point Photographis.

Like it or not these low prices will be here to stay, but we've always had relative pricing differences - even in the days of D&P. Having this kind of competition keeps us sharp hungry for business (or perhaps just hungry full-stop?)

There are always catches with these deals, like minimums, print all, no surface options etc etc. This is definitely worth pointing out to customers. If you're lucky enough to see some dodgey results from them mount these on a board against your prints so customers can see the comparison. They don't have to be up on display, just ready for when you need to swing an order your way.

If all else fails add a non-advertised 15p service, get the customer to pre-pay, write the orders to CD and trot the whole thing down to Boots. Maybe putting a choice to those price conscious consumers would show how much extra business you'd pick up.

I'm still enjoying Klick's 1p print introductory offer - which I use to send all my English relatives prints of our family. Amazing how much these companies spend to hopefully gain goodwill!

We use a comparison chart that we have to show the difference between our prints and competitors. Along with the photos we have the original photo packet to really emphasise the point. It's amazing that results can be so different - even when machines like the Frontier are almost impossible to get wrong, but the likes of Tesco, Klick and others will often produce really strange colour balances.

As this market gets tougher its important to pull out all the stops to make sure we don't lose our market to the multiples.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a walk about this monday lunchtime.

Klick - 6p for over 200 (but who gets that many) - shop full - queue for kiosks

Boots - from 6p - but who qualifies - 6 lab kiosks and 4 kodak g4 - all full

Spectrum - dribs and drabs, - but no frenzy - looks to me like multiples have cracked it, - cheap headline prices, - even though average order size is about 34 prints, - and hence 15p each

Maybe I too should employ dishonest marketing techniques ?

Phil

It does seem like having misleading low prices does work for these places, ie quote a low price for 500+ or even 1000+, or add in a "kiosk useage fee", but when you check their regular prices they actually aren't that cheap. Personally I would like to think that customers are a bit smarter than that, but I'm probably wrong  ;D

You're right about the Kiosks at Klick, Boots and the other multiples being full often but I think the real reason is that people are struggling through the system. If your store is anything like ours we make sure they're settled and have mastered the operation before we leave the alone. Not so with the competitors who leave them languishing for ages - often for just a couple of prints, often a walk-off. Those big volume prices are a teaser but I'd love to know the 'average order' they are achieving. I bet it's not as many as we'd think.

I know people don't like paying extra for red-eyes, lustre or borders. They feel they're being cheated. Best answer is not to stick the per print price in the window. It will only end in tears  :'(

Our local Boots is charging 7p/ print for 50 up. They are never that busy. Their kiosks are seldom working.

We never display our print prices, and not that many customers ask. If they do we explain the difference between a photolab and a chemist/ greengrocer. We know what we are doing and provide the quality to match.

Going off on a bit of a tangent I'm not totally convinced by kiosks- we have 2 (no room for more) but they are not used that often, but when they are it's usually only for 2 or 3 prints  :o. Most customers would rather just leave their card/ disc with us.

After a lifetime in the industry I can certainly say kiosks are the best thing thats ever happened to us. Having the customer do all the input is a great time saver and we certainly get some very large and varied orders. I have 12 in one store and six in the other. Store space is the only thing thats holding us back from doing more.

Recently we sold some of our older kiosks to Fiji. I took a day out of a holiday to help instal them and it was wonderful to see the excitement of the shop staff when they could take orders from kiosk than have the hassle of transribing files and quantities over the counter. Since then they've installed more and are now looking at networking remote store kiosks via VPN.

Yes, we still get lots of orders for 2 or 3 prints but that's offset by the many 100 plus orders, enlargements, canvas wraps, photobooks and posters - all printed direct from kiosk.

• 1 month later...