Photo Gifts

aks

• 2 weeks later...

Always happy with Magic Touch.

Best is their technical support, - can phone with any issue, - and get a live answer while your customer is in store.

the product is great, and support excellent.

i have used other, - while the material is often similar, - or like the Magic touch product was a year or so ago, - there is no support - just say look at the web site for more info.

my 2p worth.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Fotofast, but spurious comments like that are realy annoying to many people , who would say why go to a conference/####up, when you have a business to run? OK if you have a chain of outlets, but if you are a small independant (who on the whole are far more serious about what they do) who has to close his/her business for 3/4 days to attend.......

And it is the small independants who benefit the most from such conferences, but can least afford to attend.

Strong comment but true Fotofast. There are too many people complaining but not actually doing anything about their position by looking at other shops, attending conferences and generaly being aware of what is happening in the market. I really enjoyed McCurry's presentation and came away from PMA with renewed enthusiasm. Since then I subscribed to his monthly email which is also very inspiring.

Your website is very comprehensive. Do you do all those services or are most out-labbed? It seems that the Australian market is somewhat ahead of the UK in terms of photo gift marketing for independants.

I'd have to agree with FotoFast too. We are a small store within a Franchise but as a group we have always been part of PMA and encouraged to participate. The time I took away from my business was beneficial to me and my staff as there were so  many ideas we came back with. There was a good feeling at the conference and I met some very successful operators who were only too willing to share their ideas. Some are even mentoring members whose stores are not doing so well. That to me showed how good an organisation like PMA can be. :)

And I would like to appologise to fotofast for my snappy answer.

So much to do, and so little time.

I have been looking with keen interest at many of the seminars , presentations and conferences that are being talked about  on the forum. My frustration lies in the fact that I know all these would be educational and well worth the effort, but I have not the time . If I had staff, that would be different.

Apologies.

'if you didn't attend you are not really serious about the business.'

I don't think you neccessarily have to attend the conferences but it's really important to stay aware of what is happening in our industry. While we may not get to every PMA we are always watching the market, reading up on trends and staying in touch with like-minded labs to share ideas and marketing strategies.

For anyone that knows Phil (Fotofast) he is absolutely passionate about the photographic business and his store would be one of the best I've ever seen. He is a strong supporter of PMA and an early adopter of both new technology and products.

If you can, pick up some of the transcripts of the conference from PMA or do as suggested earlier and subscribe to Bill McCurry's newsline. He has some great ideas and is very knowledgeable on where the industry is headed. We were lucky enough to host him for 3 days earlier this year and got lots out his visit and suggestions.

Bill's website is http://www.mccurryassoc.com. Subscribe or download his podcasts at www.dimacast.com

I have always been a fan of conterences, exhibitions, and industry meetings.

As a one man band - it can be lonely up front, - and I'm sure the main reason Spectrum Imaging have survived to celebrate our 20th birthday is because of the learning and stimulation you get at industry events.

I dare to ask - How can you afford to not attend ?

The good news is that PMA and DIMA are publishing POD-Casts of many meetings and presentations, - so you can listen in at work, driving home, - or while you are in the bath for that matter.

Here is the link: http://www.dimacast.libsyn.com/

Bill McCurry #69 is well worth a listen, - though I prefere to skip the first 2 or 3 minute intro.

Hope to see you at the next industry event Photographis - you are obviously doing many things right, - or maybe you just don't enjoy a pint in the bar after ?

Best wishes

Phil

You are, of course, quite correct Phil.

When you are working hard with your tail in the air the whole world gets smaller, even your goals can become dim.

To lift ones head and meet people in similar situations........ how refreshing is that?

I will look forward to buying you a pint at the next event I am able to attend, Phil, just keep in touch.

As an aside, I found out why I was so snappy the other day, I am now trying not to drip on my keyboard. Colour correction is  fun with streaming eyes, typing is quite trying to....