film D&P prices

Steven Deverill

we have an advantage here in Denmark, labour costs are so high that most 1 hour photo labs are gone, supermarkets taking films which get sent to giant labs in germany etc. and back again cheap are the norm instead.  

The advantage there is that being a lab that also ships the cheap weekly service away and offers a top quality inhouse service, we can explain the differences and offer the 1 hour (or faster) service at a price of our choosing, a service in which we have no real competetion anymore.

I put my film processing prices up at the start of this year to cover increased costs. No one has complained. I can't see how you can avoid increasing the price.

I'm really wondering how much longer I can offer film processing, it's hard to see that it will continue to be viable.

I'm thinking of only operating the film processor 2 or 3 days a week, so all the films can be done in one go all together, to make it more efficient.

• 3 weeks later...

As the film labs are slowly closing I have noticed an increase in film in the last few months over last year.  We have built our reputation with the colleges and uni's that still teach film as it has become "art" prices were incresed at the begining of the summer. 8.99 for 24 hour 36 exposure and 999 for express. We were thinking of going back to price per print in line with digital and charging the extra for film processing and negative handling ................  

• 2 weeks later...