advice on printing

dee

Hello all, I just found this site - it's really interesting reading! I couldn't find what I was looking for though so was hoping i could get some advice...  ::)

I do a lot of bespoke size picture framing here (sometimes up to A1 which is 32.7 x 22.0 inches) and am considering offering my clients a print and frame service from their digital cameras or SD cards, the advice I'm looking for is what printer to go buy? i'm really unsure and my main worry is UV degradation. I've been reading that some of the wide format printers have UV and waterproof inks, but I'm not sure I can really trust what I'm told as it comes from manufacturers websites - not the horses mouth so to speak!  :D

Will any someone help me or point me in the right direction please?

Hi, I was just looking at the Epson Stylus Pro 7800 on their website, i'll only need up to A1 size tops, so you'd recommend an Epson wide printer then? i'll check out the large format section, thanks for answering so quickly!  8)

another quick question, it seems a bit silly to do smaller prints on a wide format printer, could anyone recommend a smaller dye sub or photo printer, say upto 12"x8" that we could buy to use for these smaller jobs?

thanks again!

We have an Epson 9800. Great machine and we're convinced of the lasting qualities of the print. Our suppliers tell us the latest HP is now one step ahead with a cheaper print cost (ink prices lower) and the machine has built in profiling which matches the colour between paper stocks. That in itself is a real benefit if you're looking at photographic output.

I have a cannon 8000 - pigment ink - I think it is as good as and faster and cheaper to run than the epsom - I also have a 17inch version that takes as small a sheet as A4 in a cassette like a photocopier - great for cards, although a bit expensive, most cards are thrown away after a few weeks so dont need to be pigment ink - I run a Konica magicolour 7400 for cheaper cards - prints up to A3 very happy with the quality of this.

Well HP is doing a great push into this market so worth a look to compare.  I would say most of the wide formats do pretty well the same job, (might flame a few people here? :) so it comes down to looking at what is the cheapest to run as far as the ongoing costs of inks, paper, etc that will produce the same quality output, and what level of support is available for crunch times?  I haven't had much joy with Epson in this department, but that's just my experience.

Customer service from cannon is great - I have always got someone on the phone who can help me and when we have broken it (dodgy staff!) they have always got me out of the shit really fast. We have an engineer in the west end who sort of walks about as there is so much of their equipment about and he is groovy............. :o

I have an epsom as well - we are just useing this till the huge backlog of ink we have is gone - the quality and the speed of the cannon is much better and somewhere I have some reviews to say that on pigment ink (we dont do die) cannon is the cheapest.

we have had an epson 7600 for 4 1/2 years now, - over 15,000 prints through, - and if it broke I would buy another (current model)immediately, - if I had time to shop around, I would probably still buy an epson, thou HP and Canon are catching up.

Look at the space you have, - the 3 24" models have different space requirements and access - I would probably let this factor dictate which one I ended up with.

P