Acrylics

Karen

I started selling "Acrylic Prints" last year. Two reasons - boots started selling canvas wraps so the market price dropped, and I wanted something new to sell that was an easy high margin product.

However the smallest size that I can get is 30x30 cm. I want a supplier of stand up acrylic frames as I think these are going to sell as well as the wall mounted ones - like the ones that mu-ji sell. Any ideas?

Hi Karen

How much do you charge for acrylics?, I tried promoting these two years ago and they did not sell. May be it was too early?

Where do you get your spacers and acrylic from?, I found the materials expensive making the end product expensive.

I found four ways to lay the image onto the acrylic, do you offer four options or which do you use.

I was using 10mm green edged acrylic and offering,

see thru vinyl image on top of acrylic

see thru vinyl image under acrylic

frosted vinyl image under acrylic

solid image under acrylic

These are a bit more elaborate that the mju wall acrylics.

These look great - I hadn't realised you were retailing them in the UK, but what a great new product to join our gift and decor ranges.

It seems the Asda's and others are having the images printed directly onto the back of the acrylic sheet, but for the rest of us I guess it would be a sandwich of acrylic required? Not quite the same look or robustness that they are promoting (use outside). How is everyone else doing it?

From my experience, the acrylic sheet is expensive wherever you get it. Fixings are also expensive and hard to source. We have recently had some acrylic POS holders made that are suspended off metal rope. Very hard to track down individual components so in the end we got our signwriters to do the whole thing at huge cost.

The way I have done it is to print onto clear Self adhesive vinyl and print the image back to front (so the sticky side becomes the front) and then stick onto back of acrylic. You can also get lightly sand blasted effect vinyl which gives the image a nice effect.

You could also print onto normal paper and sandwich between two sheets of acrylic.

I have two ways of doing this - one is printed directly onto the back of acrylic sheets and then my framer has acrylic sandwich frames that he sells- we send him the prints and he soes the sandwich thing as they are very easy to get dust in between and almost impossible to get it out later!. Vinyl stuck on the back -  I am not happy with as the print quality is poor. This is a high cost item and we are selling two or 3 a week - they retail about twice the price of canvas wraps.

I have two ways of doing this - one is printed directly onto the back of acrylic sheets and then my framer has acrylic sandwich frames that he sells- we send him the prints and he soes the sandwich thing as they are very easy to get dust in between and almost impossible to get it out later!.  

Hi Karen,

do you print the sheets on your Canon 8000?

On what material do you print on for the sandwich frames?

Hi Peter,

I print the photos for the samdwich frames either on my minilab (up to 12x18 ins) or on my Cannon inkjet for anything larger. These are very popular and we also do funny acrylic boxes that have photos in as well.

For the Acrylic sheets which are printed directly on to the back of the acrylic, I order via a dealer network run by Kiran Mal. I am not sure that they will ship to Germany but here is her contact just in case..

kiran.mal@airesources.co.uk