latest news from the rumour mill

Tony.T

;D ;D

just heard from another lab owner, who was told by a rep, who was told by.....well you get the idea-

that Tesco's is about to pull out of the photo-printing business, on the grounds that they can't find suitable staff and they are making a loss.

If only....

This ranks with Elvis being alive and living on the moon- unless anyone alse knows better ??

Interesting thread!!

:PFor sometime I have been watching two tesco stores in our area. Store no1 claims to have a "PhotoLab" on thier vertical signs close to the enterence, but has never had one. This store is now enlarging to be one of thier large stores, so will check out when the work is completed. If they don't install a minilab or kiosk system that tells me that they are not bothered.

Store no2 was enlarged two years ago and at that time installed an anologue minilab. However the minilab is given very little space and is often confused with the fag counter. Unlike Asda, Tesco never have seamed to take photography seriously. But because ASDA do it, they do it!! :o

Also close to us is a sainsbury store. They had a Supasnaps to begin with, then a minit minilab, then an independant minilab, now a persil minilab. This is under written by the venture capital arm of Unilever. I know as fact, because a member of my family works for them, that they treat the photoprocessing lab and dry cleaning operation as a cheap form of advertising for the Persil brand. They run at a loss at our local store and most others :).

My point about all this confirms my personal view that the big boys out there will lose interest in what we do. As soon as one takes the disscission to drop photography then the others will follow.

Remember 10 years ago we laughed at getting your photos with your baked beans!! :)

Wayne

Now that is interesting. When our closest (4/5 miles away) large Tesco opened 3 yrs ago, the nearest town had 2 photoprocessors, one closed within the year, the second re-located last year, as a direct result of the competition.

Maybe if Tesco dispense with this loss leader, we can at last charge a reasonable rate for d&p, and pick up some extra trade as well. Gota get this website functional, how busy are you Neil ?

how busy are you Neil ?
well you may not have picked up, but I am no longer in the photographic trade any more  :K) I got a chance to get out and do other things :)

But to answer the Q I at a personal level am very very busy :)

Just to go back a couple of years, we did have lots of stories flying around that Boots were going to pull from photographic, but that did not happen.

We started as a supermarket consession. We were 'found' a site because the supermarket wanted us in so much. They like the idea of people (spending while) waiting for prints to be done or having to come back at a later date.

The supermarket was sold to Tesco in 2000 and we lost our site.Tesco put in their own lab (kept my customers and good will obviously!) Rumour's ever since that it will be pulling the lab out soon...... I won't hold my breath!

• 3 weeks later...

Visited the newest Boots store in Epsom, Surrey the other week. A bright, modern and airy store but its photo department is virtually non existant, no sign of the minilab although they do display their 1hr clock and they have one old Kodak G3 kiosk and one boots kiosk. Hardly a serious attempt at a Kiosk Area.

You get the impression that Boots are not prepared to invest in the photo area of there business, even after spending hundreds of thousands shop fitting a brand new store.

Could be a good sign for us indies!

Boots has been through so many incarnations of late that I'm not surprised labs have gone by the wayside. The foray into clinics, other services and non-allied products were not profitable and has cost them plenty. When the rest of the industry is understanding the benefits of multi kiosking and having customers in the store for longer Boots has gone the other way. I can't help feeling that their pricing has a lot to do with why consumers have not been printing there. With their initial prices very high I think they put punters off early. We all know how hard it is to entice them back after a bad experience.

• 1 month later...

Although this is not directly linked to this post, I think its all part of the mix

ASDA INSTALL 520 SONYS! - Giant supermarket chain ASDA WalMart is installing an initial 520 units of Sony's successful event photography printer, the UP-DR150, in kiosks in its UK stores this year. The UP-DR150 was chosen for its unbeaten speed. Better known to pro photographers for its 6