Film D&P or Digital Prints?

Nick

Nick,

Your numbers appear to be about right as we are currently running at 36% of total processing (including 35mm,aps, and rep from trad source). However the higher percentage figure is not because of large digital growth, more to do with trad decline. As we develop more products ( vcd, photogifts, collage prints, etc) then we hope to see an increase in margins, if not turn over.

wayne

about 70% digital, this month I have seen my film sales drop by half compared to last year, so the 35mm decline is speeding up. Since 2000 year on year I have been losing about 20% film sales now its jumped to 50%.

If labs start getting too little C41 business they wont be able to keep there processors running and this could speed up the transformation to digital.

I think 35mm has between 2 and 4 years left in the general consumer market.

Did anyone see the article in Pixel today, that Asda has bought 250 Sony instant kiosks?, it seems the supermarkets are finally waking up to the kiosk market.

We are 80% digital and 20% film. Still get some good days on film but a huge difference from the old days. Single use cameras are selling and film still goes out the door but probably because it's harder to find stockists any longer. One customer told me he couldn't find any shops stocking it in certain parts of Asia on a recent holiday.

So on average digital prints account for 64% of work produced today, with several people predicting only one more left for film. Looks like our lab is a little behind the national (international) trends.  Mind we do find our kiosk is busier when the holiday makers are about.  

Hello to All,

For me at India all of a sudden it is 60% digital and 40% film compared to 20%digital and 80%film last year, This year many pro photographers bought DSLR's and since my customer base is mostly pro photographers this sudden change in figs,also most of the pro photographers gone for Nikon DSLR's though the  rest of the world is more towards Canon.

Because of this vast  and sudden change in just one year, the problem we are facing is in finding the proper work flow solution for digital photofinishing, here is brief summary of the issues i am facing

# who has to do color and tone correction: it it lab? or is it photographers? Some photographers just dumping the memory cards or pen drives or CD/DVDS full of  jpeg images untouched after clicking and asking us to do every thing they want .And some photographers process the images in PS or some other image processor of their choice on their un calibrated monitor and does not know ICC work flow and CMS and expect to match prints to their monitor display and this has become biggest problem.

#Should the photographers be advised to go JPEG way or the RAW way (most of my clients are wedding photographers).

If  we advise jpeg way, most of the time the high light details are clipped in the prints, and we at India during weddings the bride and groom and their parents wear white dresses and the details in that are completely lost.

If we advise RAW way they does not no how to deal with RAW files and also time consuming not worth the money they get for the coverage.

#Day by day, taking digital orders at store front counters is taking more time than it takes to print.

People come with CD/DVD full of images and now they want to select from it files for 4x6,'s, 6x8's 8x12's and rejections(Don't prints) and it takes hours together to take orders. Looking for a good order taking SW,any suggestions welcome.

#Many people click at their cameras highest resolution possible say at 2000x3000(6meg) or 3800x2600(10meg) thinking good quality possible only at highest res  and make prints at 4x6. this taking lot of time in down sampling and also loosing some quality in the process.

#Many more issues and I think this is not the right topic title to put it. sol et me stop here .

Any way, thanks for the good response for a right and useful topic of this thread

KVS From India

Hello to All,

For me at India all of a sudden it is 60% digital and 40% film compared to 20%digital and 80%film last year, This year many pro photographers bought DSLR's and since my customer base is mostly pro photographers this sudden change in figs,also most of the pro photographers gone for Nikon DSLR's though the  rest of the world is more towards Canon.

Because of this vast  and sudden change in just one year, the problem we are facing is in finding the proper work flow solution for digital photofinishing, here is brief summary of the issues i am facing

# who has to do color and tone correction: it it lab? or is it photographers? Some photographers just dumping the memory cards or pen drives or CD/DVDS full of  jpeg images untouched after clicking and asking us to do every thing they want .And some photographers process the images in PS or some other image processor of their choice on their un calibrated monitor and does not know ICC work flow and CMS and expect to match prints to their monitor display and this has become biggest problem.

The responsibility now falls to photographers to correct their own work - we print everything without corrections. You could offer a service for correcting images, but I would charge for it like http://www.photoshopservices.co.uk/

#Should the photographers be advised to go JPEG way or the RAW way (most of my clients are wedding photographers).

If  we advise jpeg way, most of the time the high light details are clipped in the prints, and we at India during weddings the bride and groom and their parents wear white dresses and the details in that are completely lost.

If we advise RAW way they does not no how to deal with RAW files and also time consuming not worth the money they get for the coverage.

RAW all the way. Its actually quicker and easier to correct raw files than JPG. The only downside is storge space. Digital is a learning curve for photographers too, gone are the days where they can just shoot the images and let the lab sort everything out for them. A good workflow and understanding of colour profiling etc will seperate good photographers from bad

#Day by day, taking digital orders at store front counters is taking more time than it takes to print.

People come with CD/DVD full of images and now they want to select from it files for 4x6,'s, 6x8's 8x12's and rejections(Don't prints) and it takes hours together to take orders. Looking for a good order taking SW,any suggestions welcome.

Again, we place the onus on photographers - see our 'Digital Info Sheet', http://www.lab.mhpstudios.co.uk/downloads/info.zip

or they can use the kiosk. No way are we going through lists of numbers, not for 20p a print.

#Many people click at their cameras highest resolution possible say at 2000x3000(6meg) or 3800x2600(10meg) thinking good quality possible only at highest res  and make prints at 4x6. this taking lot of time in down sampling and also loosing some quality in the process.

You could insist that all images are sized at 300 dpi or 250 dpi, quite a lot of labs do this.

#Many more issues and I think this is not the right topic title to put it. sol et me stop here .

You seem to be going through the same process we went through about 4 Years ago. Most of the issues we came across are in our 'Digital Info Sheet'. Something to think about - there are very few 'Pro' labs left here in the UK, the only ones that survived have gone for a high volume, mail order, internet based business model like http://www.proamimaging.com/ or else turned into repro houses.

Thanks a lot JP for the very informative and correct and thoughtful suggestions for the issues i am facing here . How nice of you for sparing so much of time to reply in a elaborative manner, thanks a lot again.

I went through your Digital Info sheet and thinking of preparing such a info sheet here for my lab also, with some modifications to suit my lab requirements and some of the things my be exactly like yours so will you permit me to do so for copying some of the things from your info sheet, it will be of great help if you permit me to do so. waiting for your reply in eager.

• 3 weeks later...

80dig/20film

I give the film processor a year and then I will want a very small one or may be we will give it to someone else to do............

But - the small prints at 10p or 15p get the customers in the shop and looking at what else we do - they still have to que and what do they look at ......... then we sell them that later.........