Who has to do color correction and contol?

AjantaKVS

In the present day digital work flow scenario particularly in Pro Photography Work flow,  who has to do the color correction and color control? Is it the responsibility of Labs to produce the optimum color quality and pro photographers  just shoots and submits files to lab in RAW or JPEG format, with out opening it in some imaging tool and tweaking it and even sometimes does't having a system at his end?.

OR Is it the responsibility of the photographers to process the image using some imaging tool after shooting as per his taste and liking and submits image with properly tagging ICC profiles and at the lab we just print with no color correction  and no color tweaking on some ICC color managed and calibrated printers.

Which one is the right work flow? If  you think both of them right work flows which one you prefer? Please let   others also know  it? Your comments and poll on this topic is very much appreciated? this issue causing  lot of confusions  among many color labs so i am just seeking this poll.

OR Do you think a complete automation with no human intervention whatsoever, we should be getting perfect color matching prints or prints  which satisfies each and every pro photographers taste and liking  completely automatically(an impossible event at present day technology according to me, but i can't say the future!)

KVS

when taking in digital work I allways ask whether colour correction has been carried out. If not, I ask whether it is wanted/ needed. Mostly people don't have a clue what I am going on about.

All our professional photographers (bar one, who I am sure is colour blind!)do their own adjustments, and are usually a pleasure to work with.

• 1 month later...

In the days of film, we all corrected (or should have) every frame for colour and density, especially when talking pro work such as wedding or portrait. In this great digital world(sic) we have photographers who absolutely have no knowledge of colour, fiddlying with their images for weeks after the job on uncalibrated monitors before bringing them to the lab for printing. If no futher adjustments are done by the lab sometimes the results are horrendous. Let's face it, most good labs who have printed this work in the past have far more experience coulour correcting than a photographer will have for a long time, as it takes years to gain good colour correcting skills. The trouble is it all boils down to costs. If the photographer can get it done cheaper, he will no doubt opt for direct output with no corrections just to save money. The rule of thumb re quality at the moment seems to be "it'll do" especially if it saves a buck or two. Bottom line, is that the lab should always do final corrections if the customers are willing to pay.

oh God, doesn't that ring bells!

Unfortunately I find that the Pro- photographers (who insist on fiddling 'cos they know best) have degree's and are so far up their own ***** that they take exception when you ask for the base image so that you can put a sepia tint on it instead of their citrus attempt.

And it doesn't matter how nicely you put it, they invariably feel insulted. And that after you have just spent 10mins teaching them how to do simple croping .

I must say this is the exception to the rule, but they more than make up for it with the total frustration they cause.

What chance have you got when the image given has been so poorly adjusted as to be almost unsalvageable?

I do apologise to everyone for that outburst. It came at the end of a very frustrating day. A prospective new client collected her prints (which were looking nice, she obviously has a lot of natural talent), and asked me to print a 'sepia' image that she had just produced, at zero. I did, but it was so bad I had to try something (anything!). Her jaw hit the counter, and only marginaly lifted when I presented my correction (which was beter, but still appaling), but when I suggested that she let me do the tinting (on the original, unadjusted digital image), she took offence.

As I like printing well composed images, and fed up with printing sh*** from out of date suc's, I had been looking forward to working with her. But, hey........................

In our shop it goes like this

Cheapest - do it yourself on the kiosk

Bit More Expensive - hand  it in over the counter and we ask you some questions and open the files on the pc and talk about aspect ratio and basic cropping and sometimes we do levels or curves.

Best - we sort it all out either on the pc or directly on the printer.

I hire  out a spider to people when we have this "it doent look like my screen conversation"

Our screens are just about good enough apart from the "design dept"

15p on the kiosk. 55p over the counter and sometimes 15p when for whatever reason the kiosk isnt co-operating, We dont do a "expensive" service for anything smaller that 6x8 as its not worth it ..............................  unless of course this is a very good customer who we love for some reason!