fotostop or kodak express

*IF* I did it all again, I would be a independent. Kodak Express is good for a start up, so that you have a "Brand" but once got going well? Also Kodak is just not the brand that the younger generation really know. If you use a computer brand most people know then now.

It a big changing world, and in photographic Kodak once were the number one brand, a big fish. But in the world of brand names and technology they are small fry in a very big sea.

I'd spend the money on something useful. I don't know about over there, but here you rarely see any Kodak products advertised anywhere, and when you do it's usually for printer docks or consumer inkjet paper. They don't seem to have any interest in promoting retail labs at all, which is a shame.

I agree with the guys suggesting you go it alone. After all, what are the real benefits of groups anyone? You can get really cheap paper from distributors. Everything else is now at the 'best buy' price that the groups have no longer got the edge.

Neil is right about Kodak Express' site, but FotoStop, Fuji and Snappy Snaps sites are no different. None have been updated for ages. No new promos, new services or anything else exciting. PhotoBox makes the rest in the market look like amateurs.

Colopt made a good point that none of Kodak's marketing is towards our market any longer. Now its all toward DIY printing which is where they are making money.

FotoStop should have really got their act together before summer - after all this is our key selling season. I think that maybe this whole joint marketing thing with Snappy might be a little too much for them. After all, what 'new' stuff have we seen in their stores over the past few years? Around here the stores have had re-cycled promotions that might have worked long ago but not now.

I'd save that thousand quid, invest in a paint job on the store and some new signs. You can still look like Fuji or Kodak but not have to pay for the privilidge.

Hi everyone.

Kodak Express now has a new website. Try this one  http://kodakexpress.com/main.php

It has only just been launched. This website is being developed as a central resource for members to download promotions, posters, selling tips, product guides etc etc as well as being for the general public.

This was all promised at the conference and is now being delivered.

Also promised was a better deal on restorations etc which is now in place. Likewise as promised at the conference is an expanded range of product from Tetenal (who now are the Express suppliers) including digital frames, photoframes, CDR's, DVDR's, cameras, memory cards, a wide range of RA4 papers over and above the standard range, inkjet paper, batteries and film.

A central supplying of photo gifts (books, mugs etc) is about to start.

A new super fast scanner for scanning prints at 20 a minute to high res is now available to members to open up the market for converting old photo collections to digital.

By far the best (IMHO) sotware for photobook creation is due soon for use in store, at low cost.

All he above has come about since the conference.

So maybe the conference wasn't that bad after all!

Steven

but who was the first to have the  kodak digital photoframes and selling them half price im told ? not kodak express and how about the  new photo printers which are just as cheap to print as useing us. I bet they will be half price when they first come in the big shops in the first week .kodak needs to make proflt as much as we do but do they suport us on price ?

We have a staffer who has been working in Australia. Apparently they are considering whether to scrap the Express program there and amalgamate with a buying group. Not a good sign as Australia was one of the places that Express was the strongest. I see that country is conspicuous by its absence on the new website.

Seems Kodak are working hard but I'm guessing they will be hit by the lack of resources now they have downsized so much. There are hardly any people left on the ground and that will only get worse now they've lost some major accounts.

The scanner that Steven mentioned is the 1220 which is really good and very cheap. I have heard good reports about this through the PMA website.

And you must remember that, all the 'younger' photographers know of Kodak is a handfull of cheap digital cameras and some home printing stations. It is sad to see a company with such deep roots in the popularisation and technological advance of photography seemingly melt away.

To answer the thread, I can see fotostop becoming the co-op or spar of photo-retailing, and probably a reasonably good 'brand' to sail under. I have my reservations on SnapySnaps, however. But I think franchises have generaly had their day in the sun, and as fotostop are a group, not a franchise, I feel they will grow.

I guesse it all boils down to how much suport you perceive you need. Fuji I feel are another strong brand, and could help fill the void that Kodak will leave.

It is all organic, and cyclical, we have allready noticed the groundswell of change in the publics attitude to home printing. It's great fun, once you get the hang of it, but they've got other gadjets to play with now, and they are realizing it cheaper and easier for someone else to print them.

In a couple of years, with care, we will all be looking forward. But there will be further recession.

Kodak got away from their core business film paper chemicals starting back in the late 80's. Wanting to get into cameras and various equipment taking so many wrong turns on the way. They now seem to be "me too" too late and nothing new, perhaps if they can find a Steve Jobs!

Re Fotostop aren't they one and the same with Snappy Snaps all under the one roof and now with Fuji marketing as well. Where are the Snappy Snaps shops that are cutting edge, most from what I have seen are small High Street operators in the main struggling with digital and not providing the experience that todays customers are wanting. Now Jessops have the stores with multi kiosks, all they need to do is change their culture away from selling boxes to providing quality service. There are many consumers who have either never printed from digital or have and had a poor experience, is it too late for them (Jessops), it isn't for the independant retailer. Whitech are offering their very latest Creative software at a click charge and it appears very reasonable. So you can build your own kiosk, preferably with a touch screen for very little a real opportunity to make a statement with 6+ kiosks, just to start with.

Fotofast makes a good point about Snappy Snaps. They and Foto Stop are one and the same. After a life-long alliegence to Kodak now all of a sudden they are Fuji's best pals. Strange that  :-/

I have yet to see an outstanding Snappy Snaps store. They are still the same shopfitting that was launched 20 years ago and the concept is looking tired. Inside there is an odd mix of merchandise that is not consistent or well merchandised. Now they are going for secondary locations for new sites (Sunderland is an example). Maybe that is part of the new B2B strategy?

Have you seen Jessops kiosks? They don't look very customer - freindly, more like someone has cobbled together a few bits of computer hardware and tried to convince punters that they are serious about printing photos. Lots of time the ones at our nearest Jessops branch are out of order anyway so that is not helping them.

One thing no one has asked is what competition you have there Dartmoor Photographic?

the only competiton we have is the internet and tesco  which is more than enough . The other day a man came into the shop with a sony video camera and said "can you help me, i need a memory card for my camera".  I took him to the display and told him which ones we had.  His reply was, "I thought it was that one when I was looking on the internet".  My reply was "have you come for advice or to buy" and his reply was "advice".  My reply was that we were not a helpline for the internet.  Our prices reflect our knowledge of products and the helpful service we provide.  The customer thought he had done nothing wrong.  That's our competition!!

An affiliation with FotoStop or Express is not going to help in that situation anyway. In reality there has always been competition, whether it be by mail order or big stores in the nearest town. The dynamics may have changed with the internet but from my experience convenience often wins out. You have the product they want and you have it now. Instant gratification is what our business is about. In an isolated area like Dartmoor you really are in the driving seat to make those sales much easier than being surrounded by competitors.

Well put Photosave. True competition is when you walk out your door and see other retailers selling the same stuff you do. Sounds like Dartmoor may have a captive audience but I know it doesn't help when punters come in and mention internet pricing. We always remind them of the shipping costs, delays and out of stocks that so often happens. If that doesn't work, some form of discount always does in the end. ;)

we offer 10 % off all  cases cards etc and 40 free 5x7 . but some cameras are cheaper than i can buy them on the internet . the younger  people dont think about  what happent if it goes wrong or who will tell me how to work it .dont get me wrong we are a busy shop doing photo gifts, poster prints ,canvas prints restorations etc i thought changing to kodak from fotostop could bring more customers in .