Why should I buy/think about a HP Photo Centre

Fotofast

Very Interesting! I watched the videos and they really do hype you up but which of the services can we not do now with our existing gear, a fully featured kiosk and large format printer? It's not that I want to disregard the innovations that HP have put together, rather put an objective viewpoint on the output products and investment.

With the new kiosk programs like Whitech we'll have the DVD creaton, collage options, better greeting card, poster, photo book and other products HP have got together. We already have the labs which allow really good quality output - almost certainly better than the HP printers. Only issue is that backprint on the paper which may worry some people. Certainly there's lots in the 'back-end' of most new kiosks on the market today that will allow much more creativity however many of us choose not to use these functions.

In essence what HP has done is to make it easy, quick and clean - creating a turn-key solution that will suit a wide variety of retailers. For the photo channel we have to embrace these new products otherwise others will claim them first. Undoubtably these set-ups will find their way into many more destinations than minilabs ever did - except we need to ensure we're doing it better than anyone else!

So, lets get our existing gear working harder, push these other products and create a market then when your lab is working to capacity pumping out photo-books, greeting cards, collages and other trinkets you can easily justify buying one of these set-ups.

Hopefully I'm not sounding too cynical, but what HP is doing is re-inventing what we've had the potential to create for some time.

I agree many things we can out source with Whitech especially the photo books in Australia. The other big one is the collage posters with Whitech we can create custom templates. The big thing with HP is that it does all of this in one and is very simple, read very fixed, for the customer. The CD it does is interesting with a folded index is something different. The kiosk interphase is very customer friendly and even as a demo mode which I think all kiosks should have. I am not sure how big photo books are till we can offer a 1 hour instore product I guess, time will tell. The business today is about a lot of smaller things rather than relying on just 4x6 prints however I see these increasing along side as the other gifting photo products increase. Remember when Kodak offered their copy station back in the early 90's a huge success, they created the market, will HP do the same?

You are right FotoFast, HP have put together a brilliant package - but it's still do-able with what we've got. I'm going to set myself a project to see how well we can execute these products using our existing gear - so I can then justify myself that investment! We're about to recieve the latest Whitech software and will get busy on making this work as well as producing some really good POS material to support it. The race is on!