FOCUS on Imaging

Who's visiting FOCUS on Imaging this week?

There are exhibitors of minilab equipment, kiosks and wide format kit there, so there's plenty to see. Our own company, www.photomart.co.uk , are there showing our Doli 0810 minilab, which is an impressive combination of price and features, on stand L4.

Has anyone got anything to report from the show yet?

Me and my partner rob have just returned from visiting Focus on Imaging. We went to investigate the latest kiosk and lab technology. This is not the first time we have visited FOI so we knew what to expect. However I do think that this event is no longer much use for a lab owner. The halls seamed to be full of Amuater photographers looking to get something free or on the cheap. The Epsom stand was choc a bloc with free inkjet prints for any one who wants one. The staff could not answer my questions regarding the costs of ink and paper?!!! They were far too busy dealing with the aneracks, so you had to shout a question at them.

When I asked about bulk ink systems I was just ignored. So won't be Spending £500+ on an a3 printer from them.

Fuji just ignored me too, with no one to show me thier lastest kiosk. £6000 I won't be spending ( I have been a fuji minilab for 17 years always used thier equipment, paper, chemistry (on my 3rd minilab) and stocked thier products) so expected better, but this has been a fuji problem for some years, should have worn a boots or asda badge!!

The photomart stand was too small as I found I was nearly having to climb over people to get a look at the new Doli (which looks great value for money) Shame as I would have liked to talk more with the staff but was not comfortable. Please would minilab dealers note that these machines what ever make, are not cheap and that when considering spending loads of money I do not wish to be treated like cattle. Many new cars are a fraction of the cost of a lab system and if ford treated me like this, then I would buy a bike.

All said some stands were interesting and with helpful staff. Cusack photo, the magic touch, KIS, Digi kwik, Lyson all gave me some of thier time. Some stands were retailers and should not have been there!! Our industry needs a trade only day or a trade only show!!

Wayne

It is unfortunate that the need of these large manufactureres/ suppliers seems to be continued growth and expansion.

This is unsustainable.

We wonder where all our trade has gone. Epson need another 10% growth, so they put out a high quality inkjet printer for under £3K. Prints upto 6'x2' with archival inks and media. We all have one.

Most of our successfull pro-photographers have one. There is a guy only a few miles from me who has one in his garage, virtualy giving his prints away (he has a good day job, just does it as a hobby-- unfortunately he's quite good).

Worked for Epson.

All the other manufacturers have seen this example and are following suit.

For those trying to make a living it can be frustrating. It brings to mind the mass production of guns in America (according to some sources there are enough made in America to arm every man ,woman, and child the world over) Is this going to happen to printing equipment ?

I had a local greengrocer in asking about what is involved with running a minilab, because he had seen some minilab on the internet (Doli) that was small and cheap. With the profit margin that grocers make, any turnover for his machine would make him happy. I mentioned 'health and safety' and waste disposal, and he didn't care, 'that's what the drains for, boy'.

The halls seamed to be full of Amuater photographers looking to get something free or on the cheap
I have not been bothered to go to Focus for 3 year, as in my humble opinion it should be called "Focus On Amateur Photography" great shame, as once upon a time it was a great show. There should be a real "Trade Only Day" which would help.

But hey ho who am I to comment.

I agree - a trade only day would help.

I too tried to talk to HP and Epson crew who had no idea about pro products, - the HP stand manager had never heard of the retail solution system much praised in the US which combined hardware & software with kiosk & printer to offer a range of gift solutions onsite - maybe I must fly to PMA next time ?

Phil

I visited the show on the first day and thought it was very busy.  As always it was full of amateurs trying to see who could carry the biggest lens, but I thought there was some interesting stuff there.  Liked the Unibind system for books, seems the way forward to make money and loved the big example of a book on the Noritsu stand, they really seemed to be pushing their vision of a concept rather than machinery.  Thought the HP stand looked impressive but I can't really afford an Indigo, or fit one through the door.  Also though the Apple stand was good.  All in all, better than last year, but why not launch a campaign for having the show on a once every two years basis so that the exhibitors can have a chance to develop something new!!!