Kodak Move Into Home Inkjet

photofast

Yup, a funny animal.

Pay more for the machine than they would spend on printing over two years, just to get expensive prints, whilst complaining about paying less for better prints done for them.

The problem is the marketing boys. All they are interested in, is selling  gadgets. They don't care what the gadget does, as long as it sells.

Yeah the term "lab quality" is really irritating.

Lab Quality: which lab is that? And how is a printer determined to be "Lab Quality"?

I have also seen a Dye Sub printer referred to as "better than Lab Quality". How they came to that conclusion I'm not sure.

I guess it's all just marketing, but it doesn't do the image of photo labs any good.

hear what you are saying Peter, we do have a shrinking market, but people are lazy, will get fed up with poor prints. I have seen some horendous prints for copying (as we all have), insisted on printing from the original file, and won customers.

If the manufacturers do half the price of ink, that can only be good, because no home printer can match our wide format machines, with ink half the price and with the choice of media that is only available on the roll..........

After saying that, I did have someone wondering about buying roll and cutting it down for their A4.

If the manufacturers do half the price of ink, that can only be good
Yes good for the consumer, but all it will do is to make printing look even more expensive.

The thing that has really got my back up and I have been going on for years, is the Muppet's, that is the labs, that are doing prints for nowt. In the good old days of 35mm, we all sat here going on about the bad guys doing D&P at say £1.99 for a 24 exposure.... Look where we are now, independent labs doing prints at under 5p x that by 24, and.. well it is a loss maker, that does not have the mass volumes.

The one thing that makes me happy is to see how many labs are looking into other markets to dab there toe into, there is a future, but a brand leader like Kodak, that is know for "photography" taking such action, is only going to make life even more difficult for the small independent lab owners..

I hear what you say, Neil, but I don't even worry about print prices below 10x8. There is no way I can compete.

My 6x4's and under (silver halide lab prints) are £1.06, and will never get cheaper. If Tesco and the like can afford to lose money on them, thats fine by me.  They all charge 49p for their 6x4 kiosk prints, mine are 22p. That wins me customers.

My point was that as much as people can print at home with cheap ink and paper (from Kodak or who ever), the vast majority will still only be able to print to 10x8 ish, and then only (in the vast majority of cases) temperory poor quality prints.

If the inks half in price, that makes our poster prints, canvas prints etc. etc. cheaper to produce. Although the price of large format printers is dropping, and more and more proffessional photographers are buying them, I still can't see Joe public setting one up in his lounge.

The important thing, as you so rightly say, is diversification. Around here, there seems to be a need for cctv.........

It really shouldn't matter if home inkjet prints get cheaper, which they inevitably will. In fact they probably should be cheaper to print at home just like it's cheaper to make coffee at home than to go to a cafe. We should be able to charge 2 or 3 times what it costs to print at home because we are providing a service and what should be a superior quality product to that produced at home. But at the moment it doesn't seem to work like that, unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...