moving a minilab

LizzieB

we're going to move our 101d to different part of shop - any advice on how best to do it? do we drain all chems or can we move it full, any probs with them settling afterwards, is it back breaking (it's on wheels so how hard can it be ???!!!) etc etc etc etc

all help gratefully received!

liz

We recently moved our D-lab 2 within our store but I also have a MSC101.D so am familiar with the machine. Because it's on one chassis it's very easy.

Get an Electrician to do the disconnect. There is lots of damage you can do if this isn't done correctly.

If the machine has been leveled on chocks you'll need to use a spanner and progressively wind the stands back up so it sits on it's wheels. So you don't get the machine off level do this slowly winding each leg a little each time.

I'd suggest the best way with the chemistry would be to remove all the racks which drops the tank level and reduces the weight a little. Use your splash protectors to stop any bleach getting into both developer tanks then you're ready. If the floor is lino and level it should be OK with two people pushing and another guiding the leading edge.

Having said all this it may just be a good opportunity to drop your tanks and give everything a good clean-out at the same time.

We haven't bothered putting the chocks back in place on our machines as our floors are level and it's handy having the ability to move them when neccessary.

Good luck!

I have moved both my film processor and printer a number of times in the past 18 months and I always worry that it's going to upset the machines, but it's never caused any problems. Because I have had to move them up a step I drained all the chems & removed the racks, but on a flat floor just removing the racks should be sufficient if you move it carefully. Also I left the printer just resting on it's wheels, so it can be easily moved again, and it doesn't seem to have mattered.

It went very well thanks. As long as the castors were in the right direction, very straightforward, and machine up and running and producing beautiful prints as if nothing had happened! We're taking Tony's advice and keeping feet up as may change mind again!  Thanks to all for advice...

;D

*****   AAARGH Spoke too soon   ****

In possibly an unrelated problem, our 101d worked beautifully yesterday and this am, now the paper dev temperature will not go back up so cannot process anything.

Suggestions are sensor or pump not working - any ideas/tips/suggestions (besides throwing the lab into the sea (tempting!!)?

I'm sure you've checked this but.....

On Agfa minilabs if the dev filter is even a little bit blocked it stops the heater from working (must be a flow sensor somewhere)

We just replaced the filter, completely switched the lab off (from the mains) wait for a couple of mins and turn back on. Never failed.

hth

Tony