customers images

sdphoto

ok all just a question, sandra my wife still works in the industry since our shop went down the pan thanks to the great agfa, she has asked me to ask you all out there as to what you would do if you had a customer come in and ask you to save their images to disc as they didnt have time to select the images they wanted printed , and they sent them over via a smart pix booth via network to merlin (yes its a fugi 340) and there was a problem with a previous customer sending bitmap images and jpgs with long file names, in the end the images didnt make it over to machine and customer went of and against advice from sandra wiped her card , she is now complaining about not having any images from her sons birthday.

any ideas

Not so much tough, but more of a lesson learnt... Never ever format a clients card. Always say to them that one they are happy that they have a full back up, then they should format there own card... A customer that you are helping, and with good faith will very soon turn on you if things go tits shaped up.

Neil, it was the customer who deleted the images not the shop owner!

If the customer ignored the advice of your wife and went ahead and wiped the card despite being advised not to, that's her own fault, and not really your problem.

If that had been me I would have suggested backing up the card to CD first.

Just because the images have been downloaded to a kiosk does not automatically mean they're safe and the card can now be deleted.

Indeed some kiosks suggest backing up the media before putting it into to the machine!

If you're lucky you may be able to recover the images from the card, which I think you should charge for doing so.

Sounds like the customer ignored the advice given. As they say in I.T. data doesn't exist unless it's backed up at least twice and stored in 2 different locations. It should  be the customers responsibility to ensure they have adequate back ups before they format their card.