Film D&P pricing

Steven

Interesting.

We still offer a 20, 40, 60 minute plus 24hr service. Although we no longer promote 'speed' in any way.

I've often wondered about simplifying our price list to just one price and no service times, like cecilh seems to be doing.

Cecil, did you change from a service time type structure and if so how did your customers react?

Tony

We used to charge differant prices for differant times until suddenly we were surrounded by 3 labs, Boots, Konica(next door) and Fuji. The biggest problem was our small town has only 7000 people and the whole Shetland Islands only 22,000.  We had to fight for survial so we pushed the Kodak brand and advertised on the local radio that we would develope their films in 1/2 hour at no extra charge. At that time (1999) we were doing between 80 and 100 films per day. Instead of our work getting less with all the other competion it increased. When someone handed in a film we didn't have to spend time selling up to a more expensive service, we just said - when will you collect them and only about 10% actually wanted it in 1/2 hour, the average being 2 hours. Of course the price is very low for !/2 hour!  If we happened to be very busy and the asked for the fast time we said - we are very busy is 3/4 hour OK and the answer was always yes. Now we are the only ones left except Fuji who is in a very poor location and has had a closing down sale in the window. Like everyone else , our films have gone down although SUC's have helped and digital has helped to fill the gap. We charge 30p up to 50 digital prints then 20p, then 15p over 150. I felt we should come no lower although the Fuji man is charging 8p for quantity (hense the closing down sign I suppose) . We got the new Kodak instant Kiosk which is fantastic we charge one price whatever quantity - 49p and it is well used. The speed and quality is the best I've seen, Im sure if some of you try the one price d&p you will never look back!! Good luck, Cecil Hughson

I agree that D&P prices need to increase to make the lower volumes worthwhile. We have always had one price - for an hour (or lately 30 minute) service and customers have just accepted it. If they ask about a longer service we just say "we don't charge any extra to have them ready sooner".Having said that we don't let anyone walk out over price and will always deal to get the rolls in!

With digital one needs to be careful you don't over or underprice prints. Charge too much now, or don't price for volume and you'll turn potential customers off for life. Charge too little and you'll be forced to stick with that forever as customers will always remember the cheapest price you've offered. Mind you, that won't be for too long as you'll be out of business pretty quick by discounting!

We print on a digital lab which at least allows us a cheaper material cost and greater margin than dye-sub. After experimenting with a wide range of pricing 'bands' like 1-5, 5-20, 20-50, etc we found our best success is with only 2 bands 1-21, and 21 plus. It's no-nonsense, quick to describe and has been well recieved by customers. Of course our team have the lattitude to deal where necessary.

Good on Klick for starting high although I don't think it will save their wholesale labs.

We charge (in NZ dollars) $1.20 for 1-20, then .60c thereafter. Divide approximately by three for conversion to Sterling.

The key is to have rolling offers on the other sizes so the heat is off 4x6's. We often have better prices on the 3.5x5's which we call 'Bambinas'. This is a great lead in with customers upsizing to 6x4's or 5x7's. Always we price these as packages for X 5x7's for just _____ . We never advertise single unit prices or 'from' pricing as that really polarises consumers minds on the lowest possible prices.

• 3 weeks later...

Right-

Here is a 'proof' of my new price list (only the first of 10 pages, but the one most used)

I've decided to abandon service times as cecilh has done. I personally think this is the way forward.

So what do you think?

Constructive comments please.

thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

It is hard to say as I am not sure of your demographic, but personally I think you will be missing out ignoring the premium prices you would get by having a priority service on both your film and your digital. I think your prices are about spot on for a next day service, but I think you are able to add to your bottom line with a 1Hour/30Min option. Like I said I am not sure of your customer base, but I know if I reverted to your new system my profits would take a severe bashing. I will Email you our prices so you can compare.

Dave

Looks very clean, with only one price.  Interesting to see when people will ask for their work if there is no extra to pay for the express (hour).  I am sure alot of my customers would have the hour only to collect next week.  The prices you show are a little more than our standard service (4 Hour).  I suppose it depends how fast you can work, if you can get the work done then all should be well.  For you Budget Digital, does this have to be done through the kiosk?

We have an instant print kiosk that customers use to have instant prints that is 10p more than the lab and surprisingly this can be a popular option.  So people will pay for speed?

Looks almost identical to ours (have you had a spy in Shetland)!! Our quantity break for digital is 1-20 40p, 21-50 30p, 51+ 20p. We do not offer 8x10 from 35mm - only 8x12 and offer to cut them for them when they are in the shop. Often they don't want to loose anything so we sell them an 8x12 frame as we seem to be the only shop in town that sell that size!  We have the Kodak instant kiosk which people love, the new one is so fast and the quality is fantastic. We charge 49p for any quantity. We had a woman in  the other day who said " I need prints quickly" I pointed to the Kodak and said "that machine is the fastest and the quality is brilliant" she printed over 20prints then returned 10 min later to show her sister the machine! Good luck with the one price, if you find you are not averaging as much just put the price by 50p! Cecil Hughson