How are you finding things?

Tony.T

How's business?

We took delivery of our new DKS at the beginning of November last year.

Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb where good,for us- up on last year.

But March, April and it looks like May- bloody awful, down on last year.

Where have the customers gone? More to the point where have all the public gone? This used to be a busy little town, but the last few weeks have seen a major collapse of numbers of people in the town. After 3.00 it completely dies and I may as well go home.

I'm writing this at 5.20, and today I've taken in 3 films, 2 cd's and 1 memory card. Not happy.

If things don't get better soon I'll have no choice but to close down  :'( >:( :-/

Anybody else in the same position? I spoke to another independent earlier- in a town 18 miles away- same for him.

Is the high street finished?

Tony  :(

I realy hope the highstreet isn't finished, Tony. We have just taken on a small Lab, and yes, business is extremely slow, but picking up steadily. We have been blaming the previous owner for running the business down, he didn't seem to like 'digital' at all, and certainly didn't believe in spending hard earned cash on machinery. It is proving a struggle, we are making headway, more than a little helped by the local Tesco's untrained and drunken staff.

My father (partner) keeps going on about trying to get more d&p, my struggle is trying to make him realise that it is virtualy dead (certainly in the volumes of the past), and it is only now a service that can be provided, rather than one to live on.

The trade is changing, as has been discussed many times on this forum(?), those who do not change and grasp the new oppertunities, sadly, will fail.

We have started with a very small bankroll and therefore cannot make a single mistake, or we, to, will join the unlucky.

For us, well very much up and down. We have had some good days on 35mm!! very strange.

Digital is going OK, and more and more people are getting used to us doing there printing. This said, we have had some very spooky quite days.

The state of our high streets is in turmoil, when will councils learn that we need free and easy parking, just one thing that puts of the consumer, when they can do a one stop shop in the supermarket

I took over my business about 1 year ago and things are slowly improving. But yes things are generaly very slow, I have cut everything back to absolute basics, and question every dollar I spend. It can be very difficult to remain optimistic on very quiet days, but I think it is important to remain productive and to keep making changes and improvements, using spare time productively. (like writing on forums! ;D)

I think I spent the first 6 months cursing the previous owners (who had NFI about anything) it has taken a year for customers to start returning.

Hopefully business will continue to improve, but this has become a challenging industry to be in, many well established labs have dissapeared, everything has changed so quickly, and things aint gettin any easier!

Hi   if its any concellation to you all here in Liverpool the film market has died its death, mostly its disposable cameras or digital, but with the price of digital being so low its killing the remaining few inderpendants left here. Theaes even a well known chemist chain who put in Agfa D Labs just over a year ago, they have taken them all out and just sticking to the chemist business, We need to find solutions and fast or 2006 will be the end for many

Brian

Exactly the same here and my business is located within a supermarket,the only thing that as kept our heads above the water is the passport business but that now seems to have peeked.Over the last 3months film as declined by 30% and very little growth in digital.

Just had someone in for a price of 100 prints + cd in 1Hour I quoted

to top it all, the chemist next doors to us has dropped his price...8p per print for 6x4 and 10 p per print for 5x7 while u wait!!!

As it is business is slow..and on top of that if we can't make money..what's the point!

Hi all,

What are we doing to try and pick things up, the thing is it's up to us to kick start our trade, I've just run off a flier of 3000 copies, and they're being delivered as I write, staff think they're having a jolly sunning themselves walking the streets, I'm getting me fliers delivered, all part of a days work!

You've got to stay positive, and look to new ways to build up new custom, is your glass half full or half empty?

Go find the customer, offer them a short course, run a comp (photos of spring), press release, do something don't just sit there worrying, that won't help.

Keep your heads up

Dom ;D

It's a global thing!

Here in NZ we've had a very quiet couple of weeks too, but it's important to look beyond our industry and see how things are in the economy. I've spoken to lots of our neighbouring retailers, taxi drivers, cafe owners and they've all said how bad business has been.

On a wider perspective the 'big boxes' here have all posted lower turnover and profits. The same is happening in the UK so it's a trend we just have to manage.

We've just come through an OK summer and digital is definitely growing - despite the price cutting from wholesalers and new entrants to the market. Film has gone but single use is still happening and you get the occaisional boost when a customer comes in with a bag of films.

A couple of weeks back I was in Sydney for the PMA show. Not much new but it was good to see that all suppliers (except Kodak) felt that minilabs were still the only economical way to produce volumes of prints. Strolling around Sydney and suburbs all the stores that had multi-kiosks and looked good were busy.

You guys have summer to look forward to and it will be good. I'd say the Australasian market was a season ahead of Europe, so from our experience hang on. It will be worth the wait!

we are just coming to the end of season for us it was a quieter season than the year before but only by 7% at that was due to vistor numbers being down :'( and a late start to the season, also with the speed increase on the internet cafe the did not stop as long  and that was at lest 2% of that total we also had a 50% drop in d/p increased in frame sales memory cards (Great Margins ) camera sales installing a colour copier and a canon 6400 printer and digital prints increased by 400% for that period but i must admit i still think very carefully every time i think of spending any money on upgradeing any equipment and will it pay .

We are now into our quiet time for next 4 monthes so we button down the hatches and stop spending and the back a/c starts going backwards :'( for that period.But we will stay with it. ;D

Hi all,

What are we doing to try and pick things up, the thing is it's up to us to kick start our trade, I've just run off a flier of 3000 copies, and they're being delivered as I write, staff think they're having a jolly sunning themselves walking the streets, I'm getting me fliers delivered, all part of a days work!

You've got to stay positive, and look to new ways to build up new custom, is your glass half full or half empty?

Go find the customer, offer them a short course, run a comp (photos of spring), press release, do something don't just sit there worrying, that won't help.

Keep your heads up

Dom ;D

Dom, doing all that, got adverts in the local papers, will do a leaflet drop before the summer hols etc etc, BUT what really concerns me is how quiet our town is. It's not just us but every trader that is suffering- BADLY

I'm beginning to think that people have abandoned the high street for good.

Tony