3p prints

Steven

My local photo-me engineer was telling me the other day that Tesco's volume has totally collapsed.

So it's not all about price, but quality- Unskilled staff who can't correct problems when things go tits-up and not enough knowledge to correct colours etc. Mind you at 5p a print who's going to bother doing any corrections? As for 3p a print not even cost price before you add in the overheads. Utter madness.

Couldn't agree more, Tony. Utter madness.

Your point about untrained staff was well made, Our locall Tesco has been making several cockups lately. This week I had about a dozen new customers, Three of them made comments on the level of service provided by Tesco.

Maybe it is time for the independant to strike back.

People are allways atracted by 'cheap' but they don't like nasty, we must maintain standards and help our customers out when they have been burnt by the muppetts.

People don't forget that.

hello all .went through reading on way to photographic job in henley this weekend and saw a sign on the side of the road which said.

would you miss the high street if the internet took over.

i dont think anyone would really. its all to do with the digital age sorry to say.

it shut our shop down and we do know that albeit with the help of the mupets that only charge silly money for prints

No, don't agree at all. where would the chavs go if we had no High street?

but seriously, people do like social interaction, photographs are personal, granted some like to keep them that way, but most like to 'show and tell'.

maybe I'm just not busy enough, but when I develop a nice image I make a point off talking to the client about it, and get involved. It is a matter of pride for a lot of my customers to have an image displayed. People like encouragement, I have had only positive reactions, nicer images to print, and more off them!!

It can be a very personal relationship between photographer and developer (even with digital).  People are not getting that from tesco's or the net, but both have a purpose to serve.

More expensive? Bespoke allways is.

Have to agree with Photographis here. I think that the "high street" has changed, and will continue to decline for a long time to come, that is until the public wake up and smell the coffee, and realise that there are few independent shops left.

But look at other industries, you can grab a coffee at a fast food outlet, for 50p or go to a "bestoke" coffee shop and pay

Does anyone have any effective ways of dealing with cut price digital prints? To many customers, a digital print is a digital print, they only seem to care about the price. Any talk about quality, convenience ect. seems to fall on deaf ears.

I sometimes wonder about the motivation for offering digital prints for prices that would seem to be below cost price. I sometimes think it is simply a desperate attempt to increase demand, because the volume has fallen way short of expectations. I really wish these places would just go away, and maybe in time they will. But in the meantime digital prints, and photography in general has been hugely devalued, which makes it very hard for small independant outlets.

There is no quick answer to this. What I do is when a new customer comes in, and questions price, I do them a few prints free off charge, to put my money where my mouth is, customer sees the quality, and more often than not places an order.

Sadly, these guys doing prints for 3/5p are just part of the muppet show, they will not learn, as "they know best" We have seen one by one, many "names" go under that were doing cut price prints.

I would would rather do say 1,000 prints a day at 20p than 4,000 prints at 5p Work it out ;)

Thank you for the link to that thread. It was very informative and I would agree with all the thoughts posted there. Also offering a few free digital prints is a good idea, thanks I'll try that next time.

This industry sure is not what it used to be, but I think we should see that as an opportunity to try something different. There was a time when I thought I had printed enough films, all day every day I was printing films, that's all we did, and really that gets pretty boring after a while. But now I really enjoy printing the small number of films I do, and they all get much more attention than they used to, and I will keep doing film until I there is no more to do. Digital printing is a bit different, there's not the same demand for it, though I do think in time people will realise the value of having digital photos printed. But that is seeming to take much longer than anyone expected.

There's more time now to think about other photo related products and services, I think it's just about finding the things that will work at any particular store, and promoting them adequately.

I bought some second had framing equipment and have begun to do a little bit of framing and make a small range of frames for my shop. It really is good to be able to offer frames  in any size the customer requires. It also makes a refreshing change to staring at a computer all day. I soon hope to get a large format printer as this should tie in nicely with the framing. The good thing about these type of services is they require a bit more skill than just printing out digital photos and attention to detail can be seen in the finished work. I have many more ideas, so I think now is the time to try them out. They might all fail, if so I will live with it, but the greatest failure would be not to try and just give up. :)

we had two shops one for photo processing and the other  a gift and framing it never made much money the framing was alright but it did not pay its way all year round so we sold it of invested in internet stations a colour copyer a canon 6400 large format printer and while the large format printer has not taken of yet that is due to a lack of advertising but it has done about $5000 worth of work and the copier is more than paying its way we do the odd bit design work but main point is that are investing into items of equipment that are paying its way that is why we have not brought  a digi lab yet and are doing it all on kiosks and kodak 6800 printers and enlargements on the canon with all the digatil equipment in the shop people can see that we know  what we doing and are capble of.we will invest in a digi lab when we hit 500 prints a day and that should be this next season and we have saved our selfes a approx $100000 in just waiting that 18 monthes than listining to the kodak trying sell us alab that would print 1200  hour and would have cost $200000 plus at that price and on fianace that would have lost us upto $150.00 a day.

Yes the longer you put off getting a digital lab the more you save. If you bought a digital lab 3 years ago you would probably still owe what a brand new one would cost today. I do think you need to be certain about having a decent volume of prints before commiting to a full digital lab. I'm still doing all my digital prints on dye-sub, but I do make sure they are all corrected and done as best as a dye-sub print can be. If I ever get to a decent volume then I will consider a digital lab. I was hoping there would start to be some good second hand units come on to the market in the next year or so.

I am sure that soon units will end up on the 2nd hand market. We went for our first digital lab, what some, mnn must be 5 or so years ago, when Scrap told me digital was years away, the machine we got, was the biz, but we did an upgrade last February to another Noritsu.

Doing things via dye sub, yes it does the job.. But now we are fully digital, and have our head above the water.. Well, to make a print cost a lot less than dye sub, the quality is better. But most important, is the volumes.

it is not uncommon to get customers into us with a CD with hundreds of images on it, and a dye sub system just can not handle this.

In for a penny or in for a pound, if you are going to be serious about offering a digital print service to your customers, then be ready for volumes, if you do not have the kit that can do this, you will lose out.

The risk in spending money on the kit, is, well as ever a risk... but are we all going to wait for the everlasting light bulb?

There is no way to deal with the 3p merchants, the photoprocessing industry at least here in the UK is the economics of madness with few business ( mainly independants) wishing to sell the product at a profit. Unfortunatel this has been the case for nigh on 20 years.

As to the digital lab versus dye sub debate. On a simple cost basis our quick and dirty calculations indicate that we would need a volume of a minimum 10000 prints per month before a digital lab became more cost effective than a dye sub. As to volume, our sony dye sub does 125+ per hour . It is worth bearing in mind that you could buy 5 dye sub printers a year for the cost of an average service contract on a digital lab. Also I hope,I dont think it will be long before we see some downward movement on  prices of dye sub media .

Unless there is a  major casualty soon on the high street  soon the crazy pricing will continue as the multiples continue to buy volume and will continue to harm all of us.

Looking at dyesubs and the price of media, it seems to me an expensive way of printing, unless I've done my sums wrong, 5p(that magical figure) for a 6x4.

I use a Sienna, (which probably costs about the same when you take calibration into account) which is unfortunately woefully archaic, but why have the main producers not come up with a replacement for this sort of capacity machine? If we could plug a memory card into something like that, we would be cooking on gas! and increase proffits and turnover.