Faulty Agfa Paper

photosave

Have any readers experienced a batch/batches of faulty Agfa Sensatis paper that is showing brown marks on all edges of the backside of the print? We've had this brought to our attention by a number of customers and it seems other Agfa users have had similar problems.

The paper was printed late 2004 through to mid 2005 but we are unable to ascertain which exact batches these were. It seems 4 inch matte was primarily affected but this could be down to the proportions of this size and surface we use plus the fact it is the choice of our professional customers. They were the ones to notice this first.

From talking with ex.Agfa personnel it seems that faulty glueing was to blame and Agfa were aware of it. Interestingly they did not announce this or recall the paper but let us carry on in the hope we didn't notice.

Our consumer laws mean we have to stand behind the product we produce and also enforce original suppliers to warrant their materials. In light of the Reciever of AgfaPhoto's recent ruling that Agfa Geveart remains remains responsible for it's obligations we are keen to see how many others have had the same issues?

• 2 weeks later...

We had a hell of a time with bad batches of Agfa paper. Because the chemistry build up left on all four edges of each print takes a couple of months to oxidize, we didn't become aware of the situation until it was too late. So huge were, and still are, the consequences that we were asked to reprint over 10000 prints, reprint and rebuild over 15 wedding albums not to mention our photographers who asked us to reprint framed images and reframe, all at our cost. And, we are still being asked to reprint jobs. We seeked legal advice and agreed to inform our pro clients of a potentially non-archival batch of Agfa Sensatis. We felt (and still feel) that this was the honest approach. We wanted it to be their call as to whether they recalled all images printed over a 4 month period, for us to reprint, or choose to wait and see what was returned to them. Potentially a snow ball effect and funnliy enough, most of them decided to wait and see.

After digging around a little we discovered the problem was far more wide spread than first thought. The browning effect on images was evident on 4", 5", 6" Sensatis, 4" Type 12 digital (as used by all good Big W Stores) and even on a 4" gloss paper manufactured by Konica.

I would love anybody who has had similar experience to please comment. All views will help our legal stand.

Thanks Clayton and those that have emailed me directly. The problem seems to be more widespread than first thought and potentially another liability for Agfa Geveart as this product dates back to the days before the change to AgfaPhoto.

It seems to be those who use the Agfa box chemistry and either the D1 or D2 labs only - not users of the D3 machines. Sensatis (the thicker base paper) is affected and it applies to both surfaces and all sizes.

We are in discussions with them now so hope for a mutually satisfactory resolution.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Photoplus. I have never used Agfa paper but I have seen a few examples of this fault, but assumed it was a processing fault. I had one lot of wedding photos that was printed on Agfa paper, the customer left the originals when I did the reprints. They all had a brown stain around the edges on the back.

I also have a photo on my fridge of my son, given to me by a friend. It started off just brown stains on the edge, and has been getting darker by the week ever since & now it's almost a totally brown stain. It's Agfa paper, printed at a Big W store. I suspect there must be alot of photos in a similar state.

I hope you are able to get some sort of compensation, but I guess it's difficult with the Agfa situation.

I used to work with Agfa and this is a problem they were hoping no one would notice. Because it affected mainly thick sensatas paper - not the thin paper used by our big customers we did not advise customers. Only some complained and were sorted out. Agfa knew this was going to be an ongoing problem in 2004 and I am sure it was part of the reason they split from there obligations by trying the sell off of photo.

We were told it was a gluing problem and could have affected other brands as well but from my knowledge it didn't. If a print was affected it has a brown edge soon after processing which could get bigger as the chemistry continues to work. Our tech's called it photo BSE as it is probably caused by the Astor washing the prints with waste.