Lets Get Thinking !!

NeilT

Not sure about anyone else, but we have had a very quite couple of days  :-/ with lots of bits n bobs being done, but still strange times... Any way, I have had my little brain doing over time, to try and come up with some cost effective ways to help us to generate some extra money, but at the same time, have a very low risk factor, so here are a couple of ideas.

OK, the DIY Kiosk idea does seem to be a popular idea, now, here is another thought. If you already have an existing kiosk, then most if not all of them are just running with Windows in one form or another as the OS. So, my thought is that if you made a clone of your kiosk hard dive, then put the clone hard drive into a separate PC, in theory, you should have a second, third or more kiosk all running for next to nothing. I may, when I get some time have a play with this idea, but if any of you have got the time, then it would be interesting to see if this very simple idea works  :o

OK, some may know that I have a very affordable way for my photographers to sell there prints on-line http://www.orderaprint.com See a sample page at http://www.orderaprint.com/mp_includes/index.asp This can be adapted to fit in with any existing web site, here is an example of a live site set up for one of my customers http://www.joannaprestwich.co.uk/

So, as an adaption to my Order A print site, I am setting up another web site, this is not complete, and is at this moment in time VERY ROUGH see it at http://www.seemyprints.com/ What the idea behind this is that we (or you) can offer to put a customers images on line for there friends/family to view, but also the friends/family can order copies of prints though us (or you)

Why?? well as we all know say a family event has taken place, and people see say photographs/snaps from say a wedding/18th/21st then they always ask for copies, a lot of time these never get done, as the original negs etc get lost, or the person that owns them does not want to pay for loads of reprints.

I am thinking of charging my customers say

Well, if any of you want to have a play, then here is a project. The kiosk software that we one, does in actual fact run on a standard Windows XP machine, from what I can tell you have to copy a .dll file (filwrtm.dll) and put this in to the root of where you install the Kiosk software. You can then export all of you data from your existing Kiosk, and import it into your new location, then a little more setting up, and hey presto, you have a duplicate Kiosk running on how ever many machines you want

Neil, you are constructing some very professional looking sites.Well done that man.

I have seen a number of event web sites doing something similar and you may tap into a good market here. As I am at heart a photographer who is now going back into photography, I may well be making use of your talents in the future.

As for biz, I have never known it so slow. Interesting that digital cameras are now in decline as the camera phone becomes ever better. How has your blue tooth system been working? With the rise of the phone-cam you should be seeing a substancial upturn soon.

Ta for the comments Jack, I am always working on some web site in one way or another, and, to be honest, it is something that I enjoy doing, maybe cos, its just nice to get a idea, then work on it, then see it in the flesh.

Yes, you are right with seeing many event sites springing up, and I think that as time goes on, this will only get more popular. One of the reasons as I have mentioned before to why I set up Order A Print.com was that it sickens me to see how much others are charging, and as I have said in the past, they are just ripping people of. I had a mail, only this week, from one UK company, that is well know, offering to set up a pretty similar thing to Order A Print.com but guess how much there bill came to ??

Further to neils original post Ref Website, Although I have not had a real chance to get my teeth into building our site yet due to one thing and another. I can say that the package that neil has provided me with has everything you need to build a professional site for your business and the best thing is its simplicity, You don't have to be a computer genius to get your site up and running. A website, I feel is becoming more necessary for most businesses these days, and in our ever changing market it is a step in the right direction. Once I have had a good go at our site I will post up a link for all to see. At the moment it is a little shabby for showing off! :B

Also I think Anis & Tony have a very good point on promos, we all have a distinct advantage in the photo processing game that the perceived value of our products are a great deal higher than the actual costs to our business. Further to a conversation with Neil last month we have started to print an extra set of passport prints when we take pictures of toddlers,babies,etc. When the customer comes to pick up we inform them we have printed a second set of passport pics which they can use a wallet pics for friends & family. The customer goes away happy and more often than not we see the customer back in store with thier films, camera cards etc. All for the cost of a few pennies! ;)

As independents little touches like that give us a distinct advantage over the big boys! Granted one of few advantages, but one we can all utilise.

Nice one Dave.

Something we occasionally do, if we see a nice photo taken by one of our customers (preferably a new customer) is to print off 2 enlargements (8x6 say). We give one to the customer and put the other in our 'Customers Gallery' (a 3'x2' frame on the wall) so that it is on display. Sometimes the customers are so chuffed they bring in friends etc to show off their photo on display!

Note to self, must start doing this again ;D

Tony

We will be running a free pocket album promotion December, as I have several hundred in my cellar  ;D Not sure if such promotions bring in any extra work, but the good will gesture is always a good thing.

I have been working away on my http://www.seemyprints.com idea (Along with a stack of other things I am working on) and have got a demo mock up at http://www.seemyprints.com/see.htm Feel free to do a demo order, as the orders will not be processed, just make a note in the comment box, at check out that it is a demo order. Still got work to do on the main site, so it is still a little rough in places  :B

As I mentioned, any of you can offer this service, as it is simple, quick and very affordable, with the whole site customised how you want it, with no special "techie" skills required.

• 1 year later...

Hi Neil! first i would like to congratulate you on all your work, second i would like to see if you can help me with the same project that you did, builidng a Kiosk out of a regular pc i installed te ct software from noritsu and copied the file filwrt.dll and it did infact work but the menu on the display will not show complete and also the orders are not being numbered in a secuendce they are either  delayed by one or advanced by one. I hope you can help me with this issue i would be very thankfull I live in mexico so please if u can e-mail me or post a help

Blimy, this was an old thread ;) For a Kiosk, self build we now have the fantatsic xKiosk project, have you had a look at that? It is good, very good :)

For the problem that you have, and what you are doing, did you do cloak, on how the system works? ie a slave drive running etc?

But I would have a good look at xKiosk

I'm running the Kodak G3 Ver 3.7 software on standalone machines and it works like a rocket. Bought 4 Aopen Xcube machines and installed it on that. Still batteling with the version 5 software. (Cannot get it to work for some reason).

Anyway what we do is i made a little paper with places for 9 stamps. So every time a customer does a D&P he gets a stamp. The 10th D&P is then for free. This works very well and i have been doing this for a couple of yours now. ALso when the customer has 10 papers full off stamps he gets a little "Prize" or something. If anybody is interrested i will scan and post a pic

Gerrit

fotorapido

Try installing these fonts, this should solve the menu issues.

Not much you can do about the order number issue order numbers and reception numbers will never stay the same.

There is a text file called Data_desc.txt located in D:\noritsukoki\ctml\ini

this lists all the order data, can open into an Excel spreadsheet using the import external data function to view as separate columns.