I Just Got Warned

NeilT

I have just had a PM  :P

Illegal Distribution of proprietary files

Neil,

I just learned about your site today and am shocked at the content you allow to be posted.

I would suggest you remove it and check into the legalities of hosting these files for free or pay or any reason.

The service password formula, the physical service disk, service manuals and training materails all are prohibited for distribution in the US and many other countries.

You host a public site available to those countries and people in them are breaking the law by downloading or publically discussing them.

I plan on alerting the proper people in both the US and the UK to make them aware of the practices here.

As much as I like the concept of your site of lab people helping others in these trying days of photo labs, providing links and hosting of illegal files can and will get people in trouble.

Is that the type of help you are providing? Helping them find their way to legal woes?

Nice eh  :K) If anyone has files etc then there are server host like megaupload and rapidshare where you can up files, and link to etc. As we have someone amongst the mist that does not understand the difficulties some lab owners are faced with, well what more can be said.

For the moment I am moving a few threads to a "private" area ;)

Any commnets on this?

As far as I know there isn't anything on this site which should be paid for, only free stuff. If there is then obviously he/she has a point.

Changing tack slightly, perhaps the forums should only be visible to registered users? At the moment anyone can read our posts.

perhaps the forums should only be visible to registered
I have done this with the projects forums, so only people registered can see it.

The down side of doing this on each of the sections, is that the search engine spiders would not pick up the forums, and Noobs would not find us. We have a very high Goggle rank :)

The Geezer with the problem, has just re-registered with another user name  :K) He must love it here, so I may consider to a validate all people as they join. This though would be a great shame, as we have over 500 registered members, all helping each other, and we have had no problems.

As ever this is an independent run forum, and you the members have the say on how you want things doing.. SO keep up the feedback  ;D

well well well, I do understand what he was saying, but I havn't seen anything that may break copyright laws on this site. Maybe I just havn't looked in the right place.

But...... I had some work in today, print from print, good quality photographs of some dudes graduation. I know I was breaking some photographers copyright, but he does live on the other side of the country, and he did want

Ok   someone has a problem, could this be a manufacturer one thinks, the problem i have here is that if the shoe is on the other foot you may have a hard time getting answers which is where my problem lies.  I think anyone who uses this site learns something from one another and that, i think was the whole point of Neils site. If i can't do something inlab, i ask Neil, Tony and hey problem solved!.  If i have a problem with (some) manufacurers they either have no answer or just don't want to bother with an independant lab. Answer = If you as a manufacurer want to come across as honest then be honest, trying to charge for faults you know about will only cost you by people talking about you in a negative way = bad press = you getting upset and sending Neil an e-mail. Just one more thing to say and i hope this hurts the purpitrator of the offending threat, we stand together in that we share what we REALLY think here, and i for one back Neil 200%, if you can't face the truth don't look!!  Ask yourself why people like Shal (Xkiosk) get a good reputation, you only need to deal with him to find out why...............

Has anyone considered that whom ever sent the PM to Neil is trying to get everything on a registered site so that information will not be readily available to everyone.  I think that would be a mistake.  As I have said before this site has really helped me in my hours of distress.      

This site will always be free and open. Thanks for the kind comments BTW. I have been contacted by one comapny, and will not mention names, that want to run there own forum on a similar basis to this, with the exeption that it would be "private"

So, looks like we lead, and others will follow... the BIG diffrence is that this gaff, is open to all tv.gif

All of us, are in a stress time, and when we want help, we want it "now" hence mini lab HELP   praying.gif

Blimey- where was I when all this fun started (hide1)

I suppose that it was inevitable that someone would get the hump with us- but only because it highlights their companies inability to provide genuine assistance and lack of real understanding of this industry at the sharp end. After all how many minilab manufacturers have to deal with the general public ???

Threats that were made should be ignored imo, they reek of the green mist !

I have'nt seen anything on this site that breaches anyone's copyright, all links are in the public domain and where possible the 'owner' is acknowledged .

We've got more important things to be getting on with than waste time in in-fighting.

Tony, going back to work and shaking his head....

It all depends on whether it is in fact illegal to distribute service manuals, training manuals, software updates, patches etc etc. If it is then it should not be discussed openly in a professional forum - its like me posting up serials to Photoshop etc. We need clarification on what is ok and what is not.

The sad fact is that it is only through forums like this that we learn about some of the things that are available to us.

If a certain manufacturer has information on machines we own and use, then we should be entitled to get that information - but we can't get it because we dont ask because we don't know its available. Its a viscious circle.

There are people on this forum (and others) who have machines and who NEVER see a company service tech. They have purchased their machines secondhand from brokers or even Ebay, and get little help. The manufacturer won't/can't help because they are too far away, so what are they supposed to do.

The World Wide Web, like it or not, enables EVERYONE to share information. This sharing helps problems to be solved, oportunities to be gained, and ideas exchanged.

Perhaps if the flow of communication, and files from manufacturers was easier, and more open, we would not be doing this.

To the moderaters and in particular Neil.  It seems this turkey's rattled you temporarily.  This is such a valuable site for so many, and because of the freedom of valuable information and support, I like to try and benefit other colleagues who aren't aware of it.  In fact, recently I had a colleague pass it one to me.  How suprising was that?  Pleased I have a pseudonym at least, I guess.  Do you know, if this turns really nasty, you may need to look at seeking legal opinion.  Well, I would call upon all those who benefit from this site to contribute what they can to a legal slush fund, if it should come to that.