agfa process monitoring

LizzieB

We have heard today that tudor/sps are not carrying on the labcheck/process monitoring of our agfa chemical processes any more - agfa used to subsidise but no more for obvious reasons. apparently a&o are taking it over from 1st march. whoopee you may think. but you'll notice that it is only mid january. what are we supposed to do in the interim???

i am well aware that with our antiquated 101d lab we are in the minority and therefore relatively insignificant...

but quality is everything at this competitive time and we have worked v hard to build up a good rep and customer base but with no process correcting for the last 3 weeks we can see that we are already out but we have no measurements by which we can calibrate - there are too many variables to start messing... so please tell me what exactly we're supposed to do...????

we could just be patient and wait as by 1st march it may not be a problem as our customers will have got p'd off with the inconsistency of our product offering as our processes will be so far out of kilter by then that they'll take their business to some other lab...  :-/ porblem solved?!!?!?!?!

any thoughts/advice/or other people in same boat?

Firstly let me say that the 101.D may not be the latest or greatest but in this competitive world your production costs will be much cheaper than the full digital machines. I have both 101.d's and D2's so speak from experience! Also, at 6x4 the print quality is great and that does 90% of our customers requirements. All I'd say is team the 101's up with lots of kiosks so customers have lots of confidence in your digital capability.

It is possible to check the paper controls with the in-built densitomer but film is the real issue. In the interim I'd ensure everyone fills out mixing logs so you can ensure the frequency of mixes, check the replenishments every week and still run the paper/film strips but compare these visually against the reference examples.

I've found the densitometer, dusted it off and set up my own monitoring - like in the old days.

I think we are all going to start getting problems as useage drops. I've got a V50 which sometimes only gets a couple of films through.

I'm wondering how long the big three (Jessops, Boots, Click) will be offering same day film processing. My town has 4 film processors at present, when there is really only enough work for one.

I guess a lot of newer lab owners have never owned a good densitometer bacause the process control has been done by companies like agfa.

If no one else will do it for you, then I suggest buying a good second hand densitometer on ebay.com, and do your own strips. Takes 10 minutes in the morning, at the most and you get immediate readouts.

If you need help in what to do, go to the kodak.com web site, and the Kodak Z manuals will give you heaps of useful information which can  be extrapolated accross all brands of control strips

We used Agfas labcheck for years, they would often advise changes which we ignored, we would send new strips with a reply process is ok. Big thing is to have enough volume to keep the brews going, also clean filters, circulation pumps working, C41, and care in mixing. We still have a XRite denso that we used on a MSC2-2 but never use it. Your new supplier should provide a strip reading service our two new suppliers do. As photoplus said check your mix log, some times a poppet valve will be blocked and you are not replenishing!!

• 3 weeks later...