Canvas question

mdraper

Hi there.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a small problem.

We use an epson 9600 to produce injet cnavas prints ( using Fuji Hunt Media ) and it does a very good job. However when we come to strech them the cnavas seems to pull slightly apart around the edges so that the pure white of the fabric underneath shows through & you get a white line about 1 or 2mm thick. Does anyone know away around this ?

This happened to me when a customer gave me a printed canvas for mounting. It didn't matter too much because the edges had to be painted white. Unfortunately I don't know what make the canvas was.

We use 'warhol' canvas supplied by papergraphics. We can stretch it as tight as we want and never get any problems as you describe.

www.paper-graphics.com

0845 1300 662

We also use Fuji canvas but heat seal the canvas before stretching.  This eliminates the problem you describe and gives the canvas a super sheen finish.  I have also been told by an Epson rep that their water resistant canvas does not have that problem - but it's twice the price.

We use a hot dry mounting press and a high sheen laminate.  A foam layer above the laminate impresses it into the canvas texture.  It provides a very tough finish and also enhances the image (it seems to make the colours brighter and the blacks blacker).  I think it is probably only worth doing if you already have the press.  They currently cost about