Christmas Classic

Liz

We used to have Professional Photographers asking this way back when it was not uncommon to load the used film into a loadable canister and use the rest of the film.  With the obvious fiddle and risk of loosing some images they prefered to ask us to do it rather than do it themselves.

You know both of these requests can be done, after a fashion.

Obviously you can develop part of a 35mm film (but not aps!) In my early days I could get three sets of three exposures off the same 120 film - easy when you know how.

As to the exposed/non exposed film. We have had a few of these. Just take a guess (look at the leader) and develop one film. Worse that can happen is you get it wrong!

A lot of customer "daft requests" have a basis in reality.

Probably teaching you all how to suck eggs, in which case apologies in advance.......

When a customer comes in with a load of 135 films and says that some are exposed and some aren't, how do you tell which is which? (and not all cameras rewind the film fully)

Pull about 3'' of leader out and inspect the emulsion side along the sprocket holes. If the film has been used you will see a light continuous scratch adjacent to and along the edge of the sprocket holes. This is caused by a combination of the cameras pressure plate and film guides. This has never failed me yet and has worked 100% of the time.

Now tell me to shut up  ;D

Now that's something I never knew!!

Just one word of warning though...... I would never tell a customer that a film HADN'T been through the camera. If I'm wrong then I'm going to be blamed for messing up TWO sets of pictures!

I would indicate which I thought HAD been through then process it to confirm this. I'd then leave them to take responsibility for the exposure of the other one and I'd always point out the risks.

Like most of us, I've been caught too many times!

Such as: College girl brings in a CD with 7 images on it and wants them all printed 3 times. The kiosk warns that they are low re and she says print anyway.

Prints are collected and returned for refund as not high enough quality!!!! I would not give refund but offered to print the images again when she finds the high res versions (She had copied the thumbnails) Customer not happy and can't understand that she needs to take some responsibility for the images she gives me.

This does suggest to me that perhaps kiosks could show an actual size of the image when giving this warning. Sometimes I'll put it onto Photoshop to do this if I'm discussing a 20x16 say.

Peter, you're right in what you say. I only the customer an opinion and leave the final decision to them.

As a confidence booster, if they bring in several rolls of film and say they think 1 hasn't been exposed, I ask if the same camera wou;d have been used for all the films. If this is the case then inspect all the films. Every camera, in my experience leaves a distinctive mark, like a fingerprint. You will soon find, say, 3 films with the same mark and 1 absolutely clear. You can be sure that the odd one out never went near the camera.

But still leave the final decision to the customer.

Tony