The Future?

Jack

Another interesting thread... First how can we get the price up from 10p a print?? This has been discussed many time here, and in my honest opinion, we should have never let it get to 10p a print

If you are going to try and compete with 10p a print, then you are going down the wrong road, this is like trying to compete with the good old D&P days with people charging

The 10p print is here to stay, and is in fact, reducing, I have seen 7p. It is now a loss leader for all the other stuff to sell as Neil is finding.

I thought the PLD device would make people comment but no. This device has the potential to make ALL paper finishing obsolete. It is coming. Think about  it.

hhmmm, not so sure about that Jack.

The majority of our digital customers are women. Chatting to them has led me to believe the following.

1) women hate 'digital'

2) they want photos, in albums, to show friends and family

3) they want to be able to get reprints to send/ give to friends and family

3) they don't have any desire to 'faff about' trying to get prints off their computer- they have better things to do

4) they are not happy with just viewing photos on a screen, to them they're not photos.

5) they can't wait for hubby to get round to printing their photos so they bring the memory cards in to the 'same place I got my films done'.

In fact nothing has really changed has it?

This is how it has always been.

80% of my customers have always been women- and no doubt always will be.- and women want photos, not photons!

As for the 10p a print nonsense we justify charging more by checking and correcting each image thus providing a higher quality service. Boots etc do not do this- fact, they don't even look at the images as the whole process is fully automated.

Having said all this times are still hard but I am seeing more digital work coming in on a month by month basis. Perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel.

rgds

Tony  :)

As

Following on from Tony, I think the 10p print should be referred to as 'robot printing'.

Make the distinction that this is a take it or leave it product where colour fidelity,cropping decisions, COMMON SENSE will not be an option. Quite right Tony the female is in charge of the photo album and as a married man I can also vouch for the fact that when shopping around they never trust a cheap product! If you are delivering a good service ( that is quality printing, reliable turnround, sensible help and advice plus Framing,film accessories etc) you will create repeat business based on referral and recommendation....All thats missing however is easy to use online printing (oops..sorry - just can't help myself!)

Mike

Following on from Tony, I think the 10p print should be referred to as 'robot printing'.

Make the distinction that this is a take it or leave it product where colour fidelity,cropping decisions, COMMON SENSE will not be an option. Quite right Tony the female is in charge of the photo album and as a married man I can also vouch for the fact that when shopping around they never trust a cheap product! If you are delivering a good service ( that is quality printing, reliable turnround, sensible help and advice plus Framing,film accessories etc) you will create repeat business based on referral and recommendation....All thats missing however is easy to use online printing (oops..sorry - just can't help myself!)

Mike

Hi Mike,

I wish it were that easy. Don't you find that some customers of today want everything for as little as possible? and if they don't get it it's off to the competition. In some locations this can be the majority of your customer base. I'm finding that this is a new breed of customer to the photofinishing industry. Consumers who come from the fast paced FMCG market, they are used to DVD players, mobile phones and mp3 players at rock bottom prices. Their interest in photography is as high as it is in all the other categories of goods and they expect the same low price high quality.

Stu

:-/

*of topic a little* I have really started to feel very anti supermarket, though I do my food shopping at one, it is rare that I will purchase anything else. They are now trying to kill of WH Smith selling books papers etc, they are in direct competition with M&S for cloths, they are doing the same with photo processing, and even the local caf

Hi Guys, Im new to this forum.

I agreed that the 10p print do drag down the high street printer's D&P image, like Klicks do them for a long time,  they try to get as much business as possable, may be they not even making money out of it (well, very little), Jessop plc are doing it, they wouldn't care as long as they can make say 5% and will be happy, but we cant's live on the 5%, high overheads on high street, I certainly can't be border yet with that 10p print, I still charge 20p wether you like it or not, you get the personal service and quality of the fuji product from us, we do keep our loyalty customer who are looking for good quality fuji products but not the cheap stuff.

But on the other side, we can't ignore the supermarket, because they are very clever retailer, they are there to stay until we are all dead, so we have to discover our new market that they are not willing to touch.

I got told from the fareast friend printing from mobile phone are very popular, but there phone is up to 3-5mp, soon we hear will follow hear as well.

I hope I haven't bore yous guy.

cheers

Hi Guys, Im new to this forum.

I agreed that the 10p print do drag down the high street printer's D&P image, like Klicks do them for a long time,  they try to get as much business as possable, may be they not even making money out of it (well, very little), Jessop plc are doing it, they wouldn't care as long as they can make say 5% and will be happy, but we cant's live on the 5%, high overheads on high street, I certainly can't be border yet with that 10p print, I still charge 20p wether you like it or not, you get the personal service and quality of the fuji product from us, we do keep our loyalty customer who are looking for good quality fuji products but not the cheap stuff.

But on the other side, we can't ignore the supermarket, because they are very clever retailer, they are there to stay until we are all dead, so we have to discover our new market that they are not willing to touch.

I got told from the fareast friend printing from mobile phone are very popular, but there phone is up to 3-5mp, soon we hear will follow hear as well.

I hope I haven't bore yous guy.

cheers

• 1 month later...

I also agree with Neil, that if people want 10p prints, they know the quality of the prints will not receive the quality we can offer them. We all have to stick to our guns, offer 1st class product and service and the customers will return when the 'muppets' (well put Neil!) drive each other out of business. As said once before on this forum, they need large amounts of customers with large orders to break-even, we just need a few that are willing to pay for the service and quality they deserve!. Also not to forget guys but a lot of places can not process any films quicker than 48hrs, maybe we should all look at this too..........

Yup summer 2005, may be interesting for us, with regards to C41 processing, if things level out compared to the last 2 years, that is going to be a bonus, and also, fingers crossed, we will see an increase in digital printing this year, as the novelty factor wears off for doing home printing. This said though, I do think that many people will still be putting images on to their hard drives, and this will continue for at least another year, until some of these drives crash etc, then people will wise up, to the idea of going back to the lab.

The macro labs needs mega print volumes to survive etc, and those print volumes, IMHO will not be around for at least another year, so I would predict, that even in 2005/ early 2006 we will see some dynamic changes from the "big" boys, that know best... but the only way they have managed to survive in the past is to try and cut price, to make up volumes of work... Those days went out in 2003...