Full Area Or Not ?

NeilT

As we know, the format from digital media does not match the 35mm format. We request that customers re size there images to match our sizes.

Do you print the full format from digital files, ie have new channels for them?

It seems stupid to me that we are faced with the hassle that this has caused, its bit like the "old" days with 35mm and say 7x5/10x8 etc, not keeping the aspect ratio  >:(

We always print full image size off digital cameras. ( 5.3x 4, 6.5x5, 8x6)

Anything else imo crops off too much. We always explain this to the customer. We don't need to set up a channel for this as our AGFA MSC300.D sets up the print length automatically from digital media.

Tony(wink

Cropped images!!!

We print them 'dynamically' i.e paper width set to say 4'', the length is per pro the image as presented. Fun when you have 50 prints each one a different length  ;D ;D ;D

But that's how the customer cropped them so they must have eyes to see the shape of the print? Sorry- forgot- we're talking about the public are'nt we :-/

I'm trying to teach my customers how to crop to a fixed aspect ratio so their cropped prints are all the same size. Sometimes I think I ought to arrange an evening's teach-in. I may just do that before the summer.

Tony  8)

• 1 year later...

To crop or not to crop, that is the question!

We generally do not confuse the customer by asking them if they want cropped pictures. When we print, the lab tech decides on the length of print as if ithey were their own pictures.

It is hard enough educating people in coming to our stores to get affordable, convenient quality pictures without confusing them anymore.

If we have an issue with sizes we find once this is explained to the customer they are happy.

This thread has been popping up for over a year now.  ;D

We still print full image size, not 6x4 etc. and we have many regular customers who prefer it.

On many occasions a newcomer will come in and ask if we print photos like boots, to which we reply 'no we do it properly'- 'oh good' they say because they cut the heads off all our photos. (6x4 you see....). You'd be amazed how many people now use us in preference to boots because of this.

Take the trouble to show them on a screen and you've won a customer.

Tony

ps

message for Henry

You may be wondering what all the references to 'boots' mean in this forum. Not footware but a chain of drugstores whose ambition is to process all the nation's films and digital media.

The fact that they are useless and don't know what they are doing is entirely in our favour  ;D ;D ;D

Our customers must be odd because nearly all want a "proper" size print so 6x4 is the norm. Where heads etc will be cut off we manually move the image, time consuming certainly, but not as time consuming as trying to explain aspect ratios to someone who can't even change their quality setting on their camera. In three and a half years of printing digital it's never really been a problem.

• 1 year later...

we find the customers album is the major consideration. normally 6x4.

we then explain the cropping & try to get them on the more apprpriate 5x7.

the kiosk dafault 5x7 is our best seller!

the kiosks also do well with the 8x6 & 5x4 for the same reason....

• 8 months later...

We always print at the normal photographic sizes, 6 x 4, 7 x 5, 8/9x6 etc. We have signs next to the kiosks warning customers that 6 x 4 will crop the top and bottom of the print with an illustration and advising them that 7 x 5 is a better size for digital. Their other options are to select the area they want printing themselves, eg crop off the bottom of the image rather than the top, or 'fit to size' which prints at the standard size but with white letterboxing.

Printing at a fixed 4", 5" etc width and the length on auto could be a useful option, but I think it would just confuse the general public having prints coming out different shapes.

Trying to explain aspect ratios to the general public is a nightmare. I've frequently had them bring in square or other non-standard shaped prints (often badly cut out with scissors) and had to explain that there are only two choices: have the copy cropped to a standard size or fitted onto a standard sized paper with white letterboxing. They can't get it into their heads that you can't print a square image as a 6x4 without either letterboxing or copping. Perhaps they think we should stretch it to fit and make the people in the photo either short and fat or tall and elongated ;-)

Ha !  I like that , Ed,  I have had a couple of awkward customers like that too. One was selling himself as a 'proffessional' photographer and had no idea of aspect ratio's at all (grown up with digital).

To help the situation I have printed a series as a visual teaching aid, and it works realy well (most of the time!), and have notices on the kiosk (which is set on 'crop to paper' as default) for those few who want full frame images.

It still amazes me that the (seeming) majority of people walking in off the street either have no computer, or no idea how to get their images onto one from their camera.

I don't want to get into selling computer systems, but it does make me wonder.......

• 3 months later...

In our lab we provide three choices namely :

#FIT =complete image appears on the print with white letter boxing

#Auto Crop= Image will be cropped equally in top and bottom irrespective of its content

# Smart Crop= Image will be cropped carefully at  top or bottom or both giving at most

importance to the subject matter

A visual aid on a 12x18 print illustrating all the the three methods for the same image are on the display and price for the last method is slightly high for the manual work involved.

Non standard sizes like 4x5.33 people don't accept so easily, which we tried in the beginning and then stopped,and there is good  reason for it , the availability of albums of that  size.

• 2 months later...

On the kiosk (4x6 on 6" paper) the customer gets the option of moving the crop so that what they think is the most important bit of the image is in the photo.

Over the counter the customer gets asked fitt? (all the image with white border) fill?  (autocrop)  autoajust print size? (6x4.5 or whatever the pixel size of their camera- more expensive and doesnt fit in the albums)

Took the staff awhile to get their heads around it - good examples on the counter help too - but now its as automatic as asking matt or gloss.

On the kiosk (4x6 on 6" paper) the customer gets the option of moving the crop so that what they think is the most important bit of the image is in the photo.

Over the counter the customer gets asked fitt? (all the image with white border) fill?  (autocrop)  autoajust print size? (6x4.5 or whatever the pixel size of their camera- more expensive and doesnt fit in the albums)

Took the staff awhile to get their heads around it - good examples on the counter help too - but now its as automatic as asking matt or gloss.

We dont offer a "smart crop" ie "the staff does it" option under 8x6 size ..........

• 5 months later...

Cropping the big question,

we always point out to our digital customers that 4x6 will be cropped and show them with an example, we then give them the option to go to 5x7, and some do (more in the till lol)

Dont forget that a lot of new digitals can do 16:9 as well, our lab (an old 1008d) has the 4xcut option so its easy to let the customer have full frame and dont forget once they know you can print them 16:9 they will often come back, as a lot of the 'cheap' and 'super' markets only offer the standard sizes, of course you can charge a little extra for the 16:9 prints as well !!! (ka-ching)

we have a range of what some people would consider strange shaped prints on display behind our counter, makes a great display, and draws the eye away from the 4x6 (you can only sell it if they know you do it !)

with the price of 4x6 being chopped by many, it's nice to be able to offer something different where you can also make a respectable margin!