D Lab2 Printing Workflow Problem

DATA

Hello everyone,

i process all my print orders to dlab2 from desktop workstation that is connected with minilab.

Almost all the editing of images is done with lightroom or photoshop and than sent to shared folder and to machine.Since the main computer is very slow for editing large orders (my preview mode takes ages for images to show) we only order number of prints on machine software.This proces is little slow and sometimes we get clogged with orders and our business suffers.

I would be very pleased if you can share with me what is yours setup,software used,yours recommendations for speeding up my workflow etc...

Thanks in advance.

My orders are not in the form of the job file. I don't have a kiosk.

I have a pc that is connected with the Dlab 2.and I am editing images using lightroom and than send them via network to the agfa computer on the machine itself and print them in desired quantities.

What does Agfa d-WorkFlow/d-Client do and how can i integrate it in my workflow?

Hi Data,

I have a d2 and d1 but my d2 is used almost exclusively for pro work which I convert to my printer profile prior to sending to dlab and printing using fileprint.

If using the d2 for general customers work, you will find that results may not be as good as they could be unless images are enhanced and converted to the profile for the dlab prior to printing. If you are doing all the editing/enhancement work in Lightroom or Photoshop it will be VERRRRRRRRY time consuming.

You say that you do not use an kiosk. That is not a problem. There is a very powerful program that Agfa used to sell called d-studio that will help you enormously. d-studio itself can be a little complicated and slow, but there is an interface that runs behind d-studio called Foto Control that really is the 'dog's wotsits' when it comes to ease of use and functionallity. It can be setup so that you have a series of 'Hot' folders that you can simply drop the images into and these images are then automatically enhanced and profiled and then sent to the dlab as a Network Order.

The person who wrote this little gem is active on this forum so you could start my contacting him. His name is SHERWOOD.

I am sure that SHERWOOD will read this and contact you anyway. should you have any questions about FotoControl give me a shout.

Edited by NeilT
name change

• 1 month later...

Hi Data,

I have a d2 and d1 but my d2 is used almost exclusively for pro work which I convert to my printer profile prior to sending to dlab and printing using fileprint.

If using the d2 for general customers work, you will find that results may not be as good as they could be unless images are enhanced and converted to the profile for the dlab prior to printing. If you are doing all the editing/enhancement work in Lightroom or Photoshop it will be VERRRRRRRRY time consuming.

You say that you do not use an kiosk. That is not a problem. There is a very powerful program that Agfa used to sell called d-studio that will help you enormously. d-studio itself can be a little complicated and slow, but there is an interface that runs behind d-studio called Foto Control that really is the 'dog's wotsits' when it comes to ease of use and functionallity. It can be setup so that you have a series of 'Hot' folders that you can simply drop the images into and these images are then automatically enhanced and profiled and then sent to the dlab as a Network Order.

The person who wrote this little gem is active on this forum so you could start my contacting him. His name is SHERWOOD.

I am sure that SHERWOOD will read this and contact you anyway. should you have any questions about FotoControl give me a shout.

I can second the above motion, Sherwood has helped us also with our small Fuji Lab and FotoControl is an amazing Application which will greatly assist in workflow and printing.

It really is a complete kit and works for many different situations. You can , dare I say this .. even run this software off of an old pc and print!

I would also highly recommend getting in touch with Him and he will assist you in your setup and what should best suit your business and framework. He is also very.. Very Reasonable in terms of compensation. And I think that you will not be disapointed with what he has to offer.

Cheers.