Speed Of Upgraded 3001

arch

I thik tu upgrade computer in my noritsu 3001. I find company in europe which do that.

Wha i am interested is how much will be faster my minilab after upgrade.

How much prints/hour will upgraded minilab will be able to print, if resolution of photos is about 20Mpix (from camera like is canon 5DII, 60D, 7D or Nikon D600, D7000)???

Will speed be different between upgraded noritsu 3001 from some newer minilab?

It would be upgraded to procesor i3 and ram 4GB.

please if somebody have information to shere, i need fast answer.

If you increase the speed of the PC 30 times faster than the original it will NOT increase the number of prints you can make in an hour. IT will simply speed up the time it takes to open an image or manipulate that image. The processing speed will not change.The system software is based on Win 2K and most of the benefits of higher speed multi core CPU's and larger RAM will not be seen.

You may be better off looking how you can optimise the file size before you send the file to the printer. The file only needs to be just big enough for the best quality for the print, whatever that size print that is.

You could put the order into Lightroom or some other software and set up some presets to output the files just big enough for printing.

For example if you were printing 6x8" prints you might set up a preset for the output size for the widest side to be 2400 pixels wide at 300dpi (8x300 =2400)

Maybe limit the size in this case to 1MB as well and the printer will go much faster than trying to crunch all those big files.

Of course many kiosks optimise the file size automatically before sending files down to the printer and that is the easiest way.

@magenta  What you exactly mean that processing speed will not change?

Now when I printing photos from 10 Mppix camera speed is OK. But when I try to load photos from eg. canon 5DII (24Mpix) its very very slow. Both are slow, loading and printing.

Only I am interested is if I upgrade computer to configuration i3 and 4GB would speed of loading and printing be approximetly same like  when i printing 10mpix photos now (before upgrade)????

@aussiecameras Yes I know for that. I do resize photos. But sometimes when customers come to me and give me a memory card with about 100 files, he seat and wait photos so if i resize it in front of customers, they are ssuspicius. Or sometimes customers want to crop some part of photos, and if I resize it then there is a problem to crop from that resolution. So it will be very comfortable for me if i upgrade computer :D

No real benefit by just upgrading computer.  The computer will render the image faster for you to preview & PJP, but it will send the entire image to the image processing board (where your bottleneck currently is) and the speed it can re-render and send to your laser will be about the same.  (think.... "Image"... "Processing"... "Board".... It processes the big (or small) images and sends to your laser... If it gets big files, it takes longer to process (re-size) the image before sending to laser.)

I think you have 2 options:

1)  Tell your customers that THEY are responsible for re-cropping and re-sizing their images PRIOR to bringing them into your store, otherwise they will have a crop charge per image and there is a minimum 1-3 hour (you choose) time before order is ready for pickup.  Then just resize them and print after they leave.

or

2) Get a kiosk, that the photographers have to order prints from, that will resize their 20+MP images to the size your customer wants, with the crops they want, before your 3001 gets the images.

We have a customer(photographer) who had a 8MP camera and only orders (100) 4"x6" prints and (2) 8"x10" prints every other week.  Then they upgraded to a 18MP camera and orders the same sizes.  Our kiosk takes their 18MP images and shrinks them to 1200x1800pixels for the 4x6's.  It takes LONGER for the kiosk to do the shrinking before we can print them out on the Noritsu, but our older Noritsu prints them out at full speed (feels like 650 prints / hour).

Just my opinion.

If I undersund correctly i use minilab computer only for manipulating with files, loading and make a color corrections, but that computer does NOT resize image but that operation do some "image processor board"??? IF this is correct then its a new moment for me.

I suppose that image processor board cant be upgraded?

Thats mean upgrading to i3 and 4gb did help me to printing 20+Mpix photos faster....i will not be able to print 500 print/hour if files is from 20mpix camera!?

No real benefit by just upgrading computer.  The computer will render the image faster for you to preview & PJP, but it will send the entire image to the image processing board (where your bottleneck currently is) and the speed it can re-render and send to your laser will be about the same.  (think.... "Image"... "Processing"... "Board".... It processes the big (or small) images and sends to your laser... If it gets big files, it takes longer to process (re-size) the image before sending to laser.)

I think you have 2 options:

1)  Tell your customers that THEY are responsible for re-cropping and re-sizing their images PRIOR to bringing them into your store, otherwise they will have a crop charge per image and there is a minimum 1-3 hour (you choose) time before order is ready for pickup.  Then just resize them and print after they leave.

or

2) Get a kiosk, that the photographers have to order prints from, that will resize their 20+MP images to the size your customer wants, with the crops they want, before your 3001 gets the images.

We have a customer(photographer) who had a 8MP camera and only orders (100) 4"x6" prints and (2) 8"x10" prints every other week.  Then they upgraded to a 18MP camera and orders the same sizes.  Our kiosk takes their 18MP images and shrinks them to 1200x1800pixels for the 4x6's.  It takes LONGER for the kiosk to do the shrinking before we can print them out on the Noritsu, but our older Noritsu prints them out at full speed (feels like 650 prints / hour).

Just my opinion.

Sorry Big Dave I slightly disagree with you!

The biggest problem on the 3001 is the slow PC (P3 700) and the time it takes to open the images. I know you upgraded your PC on the 2901 so I would think that you would know how it improves the opening speed of digital images?

Once the images have been opened and you have previewed them you can just leave the machine to get on with printing them. Obviously upgrading the PC will not change the paper processor output, but it will hugely affect the time it takes

to open the images.

It will also hugely increase the time it takes to process the image to write a CD.

Whether or not you will get the full machine printing capacity with 20MP images and an i3 processor is something you will need to discuss with the person selling you the PC upgrade. I would expect a PC processing speed increase of around 7 times faster.

Thanks evrybody for answers, now i know much more :D

PC, image proccessor board and paper processor effect on printing speed.

1. Upgrading computer will give me faster loading and manipulating with big files

2. Paper processor have its own capacity, and that is that. (capacity of 3001's paper processor is enogh for my needs).

3. image processor board. And here is enigma for me :D . How image processor board cope big megapixel files???

So is there are somebody who relly do this upgrading, and who can shearing expirience about how much 20mpix images can print  per hour upgraded 3001????

The image processing PCB can handle up to 37M Pixel if the machine has the 120AFC Option fitted. (The RAM on the image processing PCB is upgraded from 2x 128MB SD RAM to 2x 256MB SD RAM for the 120 Option).

If the standard amount of RAM is fitted to the image processing PCB (x2 128MB) then the maximum image size is 25M Pixel.

@Dave S  What that practicaly mean? That image processsin PCB can process image up to 25Mpix? What happend if I try to load file from new Nikon D800 which is 36Mpix?

And how image processor PCB will process if PC send it 100+ images 20Mpix resloution?

I am sorry because i may annoying You, and i really appreciate that you spent your time to help me....but for now I find out evrything exept answer on main question: How much 20Mpix prints per hour will be able to print upgraded 3001?

:(

Hey Dave S (hope you're having a great year!)

Yes, I agree with your disagreement. :)   But I did say "The computer will render the image faster for you to preview & PJP", so I thought I covered that.

I was just trying to address Arch's question of will it speed up how fast the machine will pump paper through the machine, given very large image files.  

Now when I printing photos from 10 Mppix camera speed is OK. But when
         I try to load photos from eg. canon 5DII (24Mpix) its very very slow.
         Both are slow, loading and printing.

Only I am interested is if I upgrade computer to configuration i3 and
         4GB would speed of loading and printing be approximetly same like  when
         i printing 10mpix photos now (before upgrade)????

Yes, the time the PC takes to load/display images for the PJP screen is much faster.  And once you're done PJP'ing that order, you can continue with other orders while waiting for that order to actually be printed and processed.

Back when we had a Noritsu CT-SL, it would send the original sized images to our 2901.  The "pro" photographer with the 8MP camera and their order of (100) 4x6's would take a long time to load (ex: 30 minutes) and print (ex: 60 minutes total including load time--don't quote me on the actual time, as I have forgotten).  With a faster PC, the load times decreased considerably for the PJP operation, but the print time was decreased only slightly (say: 55 minutes total, but PJP load times was maybe 15minutes).  Once we got the other kiosk system that re-sized the images, their entire order could be PJP'd and printed in a fraction of the time going through the Noritsu (20-25 minutes total).  Yes, we had to wait for the kiosk system to re-size the images before they were ready to print, but we could be printing other orders on the Noritsu, rather than waiting for it to load, process & print the order and tying it up for 60+minutes.

HTH

We have a 3202 with all the options, but when we get large orders with high camera resolutions, from cards or discs, we drop the file size down in Irfanview to 1200px high (4" paper @ 300 dpi). This works fine, and we have done it for 5 years now.

We also have Whitech and Kodak kiosks - the Whitech still send the full res customer files to the lab, but the kodak units drop the file size down to the actual print resolutuion.

The Kodak kiosks are MUCH faster in that regard - there are probably other kiosks out there which also reduce the file size down.

@Dave S  What that practicaly mean? That image processsin PCB can process image up to 25Mpix? What happend if I try to load file from new Nikon D800 which is 36Mpix?

And how image processor PCB will process if PC send it 100+ images 20Mpix resloution?

I am sorry because i may annoying You, and i really appreciate that you spent your time to help me....but for now I find out evrything exept answer on main question: How much 20Mpix prints per hour will be able to print upgraded 3001?

:(

It means that the maximum image size this machine can process is 37Mpix per image. This is assuming the image processing PCB has the maximum amount of RAM installed.

If your machine does not have the maximum amount of RAM installed the maximum is 25Mpix per image.

If you try to print a file that is too big the machine will simply display the message No. 1516 Data is too large to read.

As others have said you need to reduce the images to a sensible size for printing. Loading a 36MP image to print is ridiculous as the machine has to throw away most of that data!

The latest versions of the CTSL & CT-2 software have the capability of shrinking the output size to around 300dpi. The only problem is the CT-2 & CTSL hardware is not really fast enough so the whole resizing task takes ages. But this can be solved by upgrading the motherboard in the CT-2.

@ Big Dave Yes my year so far is going well thanks.

I also agree with what you said dispite slightly disagreeing with you!! :)

Obviously you use the machine day in day out so will have a much better idea about the speed and time it takes to print larger files than I would. As you have correctly said upgrading the PC will only help with the loading of the images after that there is nothing more that can be done on the machine to make it quicker. Short of overclocking the processor on the image processing PCB! (Which would be pretty much Impossible to do.) The problem was the PC was much slower than the image processing PCB, but with an upgraded PC it is now the image processing PCB that is slowing things down.

Resizing the image before printing is the only way forward.