Sp3000 As Standalone Scanner Questions

Andrew Jacona

Hi,

I have a few questions about the SP3000 being used as a stand alone scanner.

Please excuse my lack of detail and knowledge I will try to describe my setup as best as I can.

The scanner is setup with the Toshiba PC which is the controller I think and there is a separate PC that is connected via a network cable to this Toshiba. From playing with the scanner I have found that the scanner will not work unless the other PC is on and connected to the Toshiba is this correct?

Questions:

1. After I do my scans and end the job and the software says that it is exporting the files where do they go so that I can access them?

2. How do you set values or preferences you would like the scanner to operate by for example magnification values, density settings and colour settings? Instead of having to re-set them for each frame that you scan? It would be great if they permanently stayed at the values you want.

3. How are you able to set the Toshiba PC up so that it can be accessed and be part of a network? This is so that I may be able to get access to the scanned images or does the other PC need to be the one connected via network?

4. I think this is obvious but the MFC10AY tray does not auto advance the 120 film does it?

5. Is there a 35mm mounted slide mask available for the MFC10AY?

6. What's the role played by the separate computer connected via network cable? I've tried connecting a screen to this computer thinking it operated like a normal PC but just got a blank black screen.

I don't really expect anyone to really generously give their time to teach me but I would really be very grateful for any help with any one of my questions.

Otherwise it means calling a Fuji technician and I don't know how expensive and helpful they will be. But it might just have to be the thing to do.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Edited by AndrewJ

• 4 weeks later...

Hey AndrewJ,

Firstly I'm weirded out because you have the same name as me (at least first name and same initial of last name) and are asking questions that I needed answers only weeks ago. I'll try my best to answer the below:

1. After I do my scans and end the job and the software says that it is exporting the files where do they go so that I can access them?

They will be exported to the DIC (or second computer that you network with the scanning computer). The best bet is to do a file search for ".jpg". That's how we found ours. I can provide a specific file path soon (once we have our scanner plugged back in, currently moving it).

2. How do you set values or preferences you would like the scanner to operate by for example magnification values, density settings and colour settings? Instead of having to re-set them for each frame that you scan? It would be great if they permanently stayed at the values you want.

Not entirely sure on this. Soz.

3. How are you able to set the Toshiba PC up so that it can be accessed and be part of a network? This is so that I may be able to get access to the scanned images or does the other PC need to be the one connected via network?

Below is the install instruction I got off our software provider. This is for FE software — are you aware of what software you have? I doubt these instructions would for for C4/C5 software. To start you need a network switch that will allow both computers to be connected to eachother via ethernet cable. Switches are pretty cheap, and come in at around $40 AUD.

So the 'Toshiba' PC needs to be named EZPC00 and set to the same network workgroup as the DIC computer. The DIC is the second computer you have. It needs to be named FE-FRONTEND

Installing software on SP3000:

-Install Windows 2000 professional 

-Naming computer to : EZPC00

-Partitioning your Toshiba PC into two drives C and D

-Create User account : FRONTIER, Password: FRONTIER, Add this user to Administrator Group.

-Login to FRONTIER user

-Insert Disk S1 A(Driver): This will install the scanner unit driver.

-Insert Disk S1B(Basic Software): This will install the basic software for SP3000. Select New installation when setup wizard asks.

-Follow on screen wizard until setup is finish and ask you to restart the system.

-Then Install the option software S3, S4, S5,and S12 

-After software installation complete, the Fuji Frontier Software should be start up, then go to Setup and Maintenance menu, password: 7777 then go to System Information setup, then select Output device to OFF.

Installing Software on DIC:

-Install Windows XP SP2 (must be SP2) 

-Naming computer to : FE-FRONTEND

-The same WORKGROUP to SP3000

-Partitioning into two drives C and D

-Create user account : FRONTIER, password: FRONTIER, add this user to Administrator Group.

-Disable Windows Firewall, 

-Insert Disk S2 : An installation box will appears, then you have to install one by one. 

-After S2 installation finished, insert and install the option software such as S3, S4, S5, S12.

4. I think this is obvious but the MFC10AY tray does not auto advance the 120 film does it?

No it does not.

I dont believe so. You could possible have one fabricated?

6. What's the role played by the separate computer connected via network cable? I've tried connecting a screen to this computer thinking it operated like a normal PC but just got a blank black screen.

The separate computer 'catches' the files exported from the scanner. It's essential to have operational. Otherwise you can't access exported files. As stated above with the whole networking thing.

Feel free to ask anything else, I'll be happy to try and answer as best as I can given my limited knowledge. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andrew

I am after a SP3000 myself. Where did you get yours and what sort of cost are they ??

Hi alper76,

I got mine from James Cho at www.e-usedminilab.com in Korea. I don't know if I would recommend him as he did a couple of things that were not right by me like not including a mask that he said was included and then charging me for it later when I asked about it. When I asked for a refund he said that he would just credit me the amount on my next order. Also he didn't include the floppy disks for the computer which are kind of essential. I paid about in total $5000 for the machine and masks and $1000 for shipping and freight handling charges. 

Hey AndrewJ,

Firstly I'm weirded out because you have the same name as me (at least first name and same initial of last name) and are asking questions that I needed answers only weeks ago. I'll try my best to answer the below:

They will be exported to the DIC (or second computer that you network with the scanning computer). The best bet is to do a file search for ".jpg". That's how we found ours. I can provide a specific file path soon (once we have our scanner plugged back in, currently moving it).

Not entirely sure on this. Soz.

Below is the install instruction I got off our software provider. This is for FE software — are you aware of what software you have? I doubt these instructions would for for C4/C5 software. To start you need a network switch that will allow both computers to be connected to eachother via ethernet cable. Switches are pretty cheap, and come in at around $40 AUD.

So the 'Toshiba' PC needs to be named EZPC00 and set to the same network workgroup as the DIC computer. The DIC is the second computer you have. It needs to be named FE-FRONTEND

Installing software on SP3000:

-Install Windows 2000 professional 

-Naming computer to : EZPC00

-Partitioning your Toshiba PC into two drives C and D

-Create User account : FRONTIER, Password: FRONTIER, Add this user to Administrator Group.

-Login to FRONTIER user

-Insert Disk S1 A(Driver): This will install the scanner unit driver.

-Insert Disk S1B(Basic Software): This will install the basic software for SP3000. Select New installation when setup wizard asks.

-Follow on screen wizard until setup is finish and ask you to restart the system.

-Then Install the option software S3, S4, S5,and S12 

-After software installation complete, the Fuji Frontier Software should be start up, then go to Setup and Maintenance menu, password: 7777 then go to System Information setup, then select Output device to OFF.

Installing Software on DIC:

-Install Windows XP SP2 (must be SP2) 

-Naming computer to : FE-FRONTEND

-The same WORKGROUP to SP3000

-Partitioning into two drives C and D

-Create user account : FRONTIER, password: FRONTIER, add this user to Administrator Group.

-Disable Windows Firewall, 

-Insert Disk S2 : An installation box will appears, then you have to install one by one. 

-After S2 installation finished, insert and install the option software such as S3, S4, S5, S12.

No it does not.

I dont believe so. You could possible have one fabricated?

The separate computer 'catches' the files exported from the scanner. It's essential to have operational. Otherwise you can't access exported files. As stated above with the whole networking thing.

Feel free to ask anything else, I'll be happy to try and answer as best as I can given my limited knowledge. Good luck!

Hey Thanks so much for your time and effort in your answers to my questions, much appreciated. Your weird experience really is a strange and funny coincidence. I wonder how many people are doing the same thing or thinking about getting their own SP3000 to scan for themselves.