analogman

Greetings to All!

I heeded your timely advice and ordered the 3501 SM with S-1II scanner, and bypassed the "i" version. Now I have an actual problem, other than depleted funds.

My 2611, which has been pretty much as dependable as an anvil, has taken to giving unpredictable results, when running any film size.  First thing that happened was loss of index prints (4" VFP) and I replaced the J306921-02 board with a spare, and everything seemed to be OK.  Then, last week, I booted up and the display was looking normal.  Did the daily setup, and the setup prints bounced from 'way too much magenta to 'way too much cyan.  Finally reloaded my parameters from the previous week, and the setup prints checked out OK. Now, the setup prints still look OK, but the prints from film look very washed out, as does the image on the display.  After perusal of the books, I replaced the 306599-02 board, suspecting a problem in the scanner.  also changed out the main computer board 306818-05 while I was in there, as one of the fiber optic links to the sub main board was loose in its jack, and the jack refused to stay snug.

Now, I have the above problems, plus when printing a roll of APS today, in automatic, the first few prints looked good, then the imaged area started to creep on the paper, with the last few covering only about half of the paper.  I tried printing the roll in "crop" mode in order to have more control of the images, and check the negative positions. Everything went along fine for several frames, then there was a clunk sound, much like when switching print channels, or resetting.  I believe most of the sound was coming from the print transfer "elevator" section.

I do have a couple of sets of "suspected good" boards for this machine, as well as nearly all of the electrical parts, and some mechanical, which I pulled from a machine I bought for parts. It was scrapped because of a broken processing tank and damaged print dryer.  Probably fell off a truck or a loading dock.

Any help from the vast storehouse of knowledge out there would be GREATLY appreciated!

Analogman Neil

I sometimes do wonder if these machines do have feelings!

Lots of different issues there!

After you replaced the circuit boards did you load in your backup data?
Each machine has slightly different setup and mechanical correction data so I’m wondering if the data in the machine now does not match your machine.

Setup issues, can be caused by a bad printing lamp, cracked/ damaged setup filter (the knob you turn to do the daily setup) The dichroic filters not sliding smoothly on the runners. A problem with the densitometer incorrectly reading (often caused by it being full of dust inside!)

With regard to the clunking sound all you can do is make some prints with the door open (use a magnet on the sensor) and try to see what is happening.

Dave,

Many thanks for your timely response!  I checked all of the items you mentioned, or had addressed them previously, so here is the situation as of this evening:

After replacing the circuit boards, I did indeed load my backup from the previous successful day.  Then, after reading your message Wednesday, I loaded the original Noritsu "basic data" disk.  The disk I have does indeed match the serial number of the machine, so I do indeed feel that it is right for the machine hardware.

Printing lamp:  A week or so ago, I had a lamp fail, so I pulled out the whole assembly, carefully cleaned the dichroic filters with 95% isopropyl alcohol, carefully with a very soft brush, as usual, after blowing the assembly clean with air. (canned air) Also replaced the dichroic reflector with a new one I had in stock.  At setup, everything went rather well, as hoped. Everything moves smoothly, and has full range of motion.  My setup filter appears to be of metal with a pattern of holes cut in it.  I did blow it off, however.

Densitometer: I regularly clean it out with low pressure air, and calibrate it for every setup image, which is every day. 

The clunking sound from the transfer section ("elevator") is the usual one made when the machine powers up and operates everything to make sure it works.  This leads me to believe that somehow, something is rebooting spontaneously  And often, when running several rolls through in PJP mode with four images displayed...and also in the crop mode, the negatives are in the carrier, scanned for the index print, but the images come up on the monitor as pure white!  I tried printing at this time, and was rewarded with four very dense black sheets of paper. How can this be?

Lastly, could it be that the paper conveyor in the [printer section is being fed bad information, and not stopping at the right place, making the "half prints"?  Or perhaps the mask function on the VFP setup is masking them for some reason? All of the prints in question, by the way, are set up as "borderless".  Perhaps I should try making a couple of channels up showing "none" for the mask, and remove the VFP from the machine?  I'm committed to keeping this machine running, as it is an older but good optical printer, and I have a couple of customers that insist on having their prints made that way...this is just as well, as both of them shoot a lot of 120 and 220 as well as 35mm, and I have all of the masks for that width film in the different formats.

Any clues from members would be very greatly appreciated!  Oh, yes, I've also tried re seating numerous connectors, including those on boards both above and behind the "B" magazine.  Didn't seem to make a bit of difference, but it made me hopeful!

Many thanks to all who have viewed my missives! I'm willing to try 'most anything!

Best Regards,

Neil

The basic data is the data that was in the machine when it left the factory, the thing is settings change over time so often this data is out of date and really should only be used as a starting pont before all the mechanical and setup adjustments are done again.

Your backup data is better than the basic data as it's current.

The setup filter is a glass filter with a metal holed disk fitted on top it. You may have to remove it to check it properly.

I’m guessing when you say you clean the densitometer regularly you mean you clean it through the slot the print reads in?
It probably needs the whole densitometer unit to be removed from the machine and cleaned inside the optics get very dusty internally after years of use.

You can check the operation of the lens deck motor in output check mode, keep moving it left to right and listen for any abnormal sounds. It may need to be greased a little.
If it is banging on the ends, check the home sensor is clean and the connections going to it are good. If it is making some odd noises, (kind of squealing nose!) this can mean the PM driver for the lens deck motor is damaged.

Check the ANM is feeding the negative properly too.

The problem with light/ dark images on the screen may be caused by bad connections on the scanner camera. Just unplug and re-plug all the connectors going to the scanner camera.

The other thoughts I had were the software version of the boards you swapped may be different to what is in the rest of the machine. You can check this in the system version check display which is under maintenance.

Yes that’s a good idea to print without the mask/VFP in place that will eliminate that as the cause.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Again, Dave!

Here's what I have done, and the results: Removed the "desk top" and the upper housing of the exposure section, then went to work with the vacuum cleaner! Also removed the housing covers over magazine B, and reseated all of the connectors on the main PC board, and the sub board mounted to it.  I used a couple of drops of contact cleaner/anti oxidant on the pins of the cable from scanner to main board...both ends. Also took the sensor part off the densitometer (the one held on with the two 7mm nuts) then carefully removed the O ring and glass, cleaning the glass in 95% isopropyl alcohol and a lens cloth. Used a blower brush to clean out where the lamp and photocells are, blew the dust out of the mechanical part, then re-assembled.  Removed and reseated the other connectors on the back of the scanner, cleaned the lens, and used a blower brush on both of the front surface mirrors. Also cleaned the zoom lens #1. Cleaned all of the slot sensors I came across with the brush while I was at it! After putting it all back together, I felt pretty confident that it is, indeed clean.  I was rewarded by a brighter image in the viewing port, and clearer images on the display.  Now, I believe a careful setup will get me back to where I need to be!

As for the odd cutting of of the images in the direction of belt travel: ANM advance looks to me like it is exactly on the money, as every frame comes up centered properly when printing is taking place. However, I took your advice and removed the VFP from the machine, and created a print channel without it, which I've been using for a few days now, and the problem is GONE, so it is probably in the VFP/mask unit, or possibly the software that controls it. I do have a spare VFP assembly from another machine, and it is well, except for focus.  I could likely make the tool mentioned in the manual, but need dimensional information. I have access to a good milling machine and lathe.  Having never seen one of these fixtures or tools, I have no point from which to start!

as always, the information gleaned from this site, and from other users is truly a "butt saver" for folks like me!!

Many thanks! Neil W.