Damned Mobiles & Whatsapp !!

Studio01

I own a little photoshop with a chemical minilab and we deliver instant photos to customers.

It doesn't matter quantity, we are always fast, that's the way business is still working on

crisis time. Thank god we print enough photos daily to survive (and other image related products).

But at the same time that digital cameras do fantastic photos, more and more and more

mobile cameras are the substitute of standard cameras.

I understand this, because everybody has his own mobile everywhere and resolution and

quality is higher than ever. Standard cameras are heavier and you have to think previously

that you will take some photos and pick up the camera: the mobile is always with you!

So here is when it comes a pair of problems for us:

1.-Every day more and more people bring us photos shared via Whatsapp. Last monday

a customer came with an order of 600 photos, all shared via whatsapp.

Whatsapp REDUCES ALL photos to 800x600. Customer tells me that the photos were

made with GOOD cameras but this doesn't matter : Whatsapp reduces all, in printed

in 4'x6' there's no visible lost of quality (a little blurry, perhaps) the problem is when

customer wants higher prints.

2.-I see that mobiles are the future and I don't want to loose market, but the way to share

those files to us is a tedious thing!.

People has THOUSANDS of photos. In a mobile are in different folders, hard to navigate

and hard to find THE ONLY 4 PHOTOS the customer wants.

When customer only wants a few photos Bluetooth is a good way (not on iPhones), but slow.

Open all files in a Kiosk by cable is hard because kiosk software has to create thumbnails

of thousands photos, and after that, navigate inside them to find the desired ones.

I think that IDEAL WAY would be to select photos from mobile device, as they are indexed

and easy to find by customer, and transfered to us.

The problem is that via cable this procedure cannot be done (selecting in device and send

to our computers).

Via Wifi would be the easiest and faster way to go, but unfortunately there's not an standard

way to do it with a free applet pre-instaled on all devices (included iPhones).

There are some apps out there, some free others not free (I cannot make a customer pay

for an applet to do it)

Any ideas??   For the first problem (Whatsapp) there's no solution, but for the second one

I've surfed and surfed the net and I don't find anything that convinces me.

Meanwhile we are loosing some possible prints for the complex way to bring us the files, a

thing that with Standard Cameras, with it's own Memory Card, don't happens.

Studio01

As I said I do have a kiosk with bluetooth, if customer has 14Mp photos is exxxxxxtremely slow.

The fastest way would be a Wifi system but is not standard as bluetooth. Anyone know a free

applet to do that job?  The applet has to allow to: 1.- Connect to our wifi network  2.-Select the photos in

the customer's device and 3.-Transfer them to any folder in our network.

This is not as said before the only problem. I think that at the present time most of the photos

are made by mobile devices than in "standard" cameras. When people share those photos (facebook

-whatsapp-etc) the photos are re-dimensioned and reduced and when they arrive to my shop are

only a couple of pixels only ready to make little prints. Most of the people don't know it and say me :

"But this photo is made by a reflex camera!!" and I say : "Yes, but I need the first one, the original photo

made by the reflex camera not the shared one"

Uau! A very interesting gadget! I have to take a look, first look is that you can an easy transfer for/from iphone ipad to this device, you have to install a FREE APP in the iphone, I don't know if works with Android.

I'll try try see on youtube how it works if I find it or a manual.

Thank you

Studio01

• 9 years later...
On 11/14/2013 at 5:36 PM, Studio01 said:

1.-Every day more and more people bring us photos shared via Whatsapp. Last monday

a customer came with an order of 600 photos, all shared via gbwhatsapp.

Whatsapp REDUCES ALL photos to 800x600. Customer tells me that the photos were

made with GOOD cameras but this doesn't matter : Whatsapp reduces all, in printed

in 4'x6' there's no visible lost of quality (a little blurry, perhaps) the problem is when

customer wants higher prints.

Any ideas??   For the first problem (Whatsapp) there's no solution, but for the second one

I've surfed and surfed the net and I don't find anything that convinces me.

That's what i don't like about WhatsApp. They compress the images by 90% when sharing. However, if you share the images as documents, then WhatsApp don't compress them and shares the images in original quality. You can ask the customers to send the images as documents for higher quality. 

El 11/15/2013 a las 11:04 AM, Studio01 dijo:

Acabo de encontrar este, creo que es mejor porque es compatible con Android e Ios.

http://www.kingston.com/us/usb/wireless#wid

Es un disco duro inalámbrico listo para recibir o transferir archivos desde iphones o android.

Las aplicaciones son gratuitas

puedes enviar a través de whatsapp pero como un documento o archivo 

Edited by arche hernandez sanchez